Which Bank?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Which Bank?

Hi there

I am going to open a Bank account during my validation trip and was wondering what one would be the best? I assume Commonwealth, ANZ and Wstpac are the big players, and I am looking for one with a high interest current account so I can deposit my bond payment interest cheque for 8months before retunring to Oz to settle early 2006.

From my time on a WHV I also remember they only allowed you to have a certain amount of 'free' cash withdrawals a month..is this the case still?

Also, online banking would be great..especially if it let me transfer money between itself and a UK bank!!

Any info, good or bad would be much appreciated..

Thank you

SS
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:56 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Which Bank?

St George seemed to be the best bet for us in terms of current account. For the high interest account I went with ingdirect (.com.au), and for transferring money online www.tranzfers.com seems to be one of the better choices. For small amounts (to 1k AUD per card per day), pulling cash from ANZ machines drawn against a nationwide flexaccount can't be beat - no commission and interbank rate for exchange. Would take a good while to pull house sale equity through though...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:57 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
I am looking for one with a high interest current account

Ho! Ho! you're having a laugh! I don't know of anyone in australia that gets much interest at all on their current account, if any. My ANZ current account pays zero interest but I get away with not having account fees that commonweath, bank of melbourne and national charge. they'll all charge for transaction fees as well the bastards.

If you're moving to victoria or tasmania have a look at bendigo bank. if your moving to another state people who live there will be able to advise you better.

NJJ
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NJJ
Ho! Ho! you're having a laugh! I don't know of anyone in australia that gets much interest at all on their current account, if any. My ANZ current account pays zero interest but I get away with not having account fees that commonweath, bank of melbourne and national charge. they'll all charge for transaction fees as well the bastards.

If you're moving to victoria or tasmania have a look at bendigo bank. if your moving to another state people who live there will be able to advise you better.

NJJ
It depends on what you call a current account I suppose, but HSBC online account is a current account and pays 4.75%, and no monthly fees.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It depends on what you call a current account I suppose, but HSBC online account is a current account and pays 4.75%, and no monthly fees.
Funnily enough, thats what I have. I believe you have to keep a minimum of $2000 in it to get the interest though.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:15 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Which Bank?

Hi there

I am going to open a Bank account during my validation trip and was wondering what one would be the best? I assume Commonwealth, ANZ and Wstpac are the big players, and I am looking for one with a high interest current account so I can deposit my bond payment interest cheque for 8months before retunring to Oz to settle early 2006.

From my time on a WHV I also remember they only allowed you to have a certain amount of 'free' cash withdrawals a month..is this the case still?

Also, online banking would be great..especially if it let me transfer money between itself and a UK bank!!

Any info, good or bad would be much appreciated..

Thank you

SS
Dont know much, but what I got to know from the review both this banks are superb...
· NAB National Australia Bank
· http://www.commbank.com.au * Common Wealth bank.

Hope it helps..
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks for your input everyone...reckon they are all as bad as each other......think I'll just open a savings account first, but then I bet they wont allow you to do that without opening a current account first...

SS
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:28 am

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Which Bank?

Thanks for your input everyone...reckon they are all as bad as each other......think I'll just open a savings account first, but then I bet they wont allow you to do that without opening a current account first...

SS
Yeh it will be Wise is to open a Savings Account first and get going.

But you folks from UK are lucky that you have facility to transfer money w/o much headaches or costs to your home town.

Do anyone know is there any bank does have money transfer facility w/o much costs and headaches for India...???

All the Best mate.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by pandya_m
Dont know much, but what I got to know from the review both this banks are superb...
· http://www.commbank.com.au * Common Wealth bank.

Hope it helps..
To beat the statment that I said about CWB, please check this: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...366ceb158d3118
the $ 150.-- is the fee the Commonwealth bank charges to
open the bank account...
:scared:
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:42 am
ABCDiamond

SS
Not sure about NAB & CBA (I gave up using them years ago, too exensive), but HSBC & ING both allow you to open savings accounts without any other accounts.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

www.ingdirect.com.au

www.hsbc.com.au

Both give you interest, both fee free
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not sure about NAB & CBA (I gave up using them years ago, too exensive), but HSBC & ING both allow you to open savings accounts without any other accounts.
Thanks Mate. Do keep pouring the word of adivce from your vast experience...
Any clues about any bank does have money transfer facility w/o much costs and headaches to India...???
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened an instant access savings account with citibank - 5.5% interest. Can't remember exactly what the account is called but go on-line to www.citibank.com.au and it gives you all the details.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said before, HSBC have their online savings account which is effectively a current account. It has chequebook, very good online facilities, outlets eveywhere you find a Post Office, etc. And it pays around 5% on all in the account, on a daily basis. No fees unless you go potty.

You have to keep a minimum of $2K to get the high interest, so we just stuck that in and "forgot" about it.

I think the BPay system is magic, BTW!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pandya_m]Dont know much, but what I got to know from the review both this banks are superb...
QUOTE]

'Superb' is not a word that springs to many aussies minds in the same sentence as NAB.

Bastards maybe...

Ooops, can I say bastards, oh just did

Cheers,
JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 6th 2005 at 12:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.