Reload this Page >

Bangkok - flights

Bangkok - flights

Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:46 am
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough
Default Bangkok - flights

Looking at flight options for our move to Oz and have come up with two scenarios.
1. If we all go we will probably fly Singapore and stop over there.
but 2. If I have to go alone with the two girls (4 and 2) then I'd rather stopover in Bangkok as we stay in lovely apartments there where the girls can have their own bedrooms and I can order room service and relax in the lounge with the tv without disturbing them while they sleep. (also great pool and children's playpark to amuse them during the day so I won't have to take them out and about).
So what airlines stop there?
I know BA/QANTAS do but was hoping to not use them this time.
Thai Airways - keep hearing bad things about them, ie no TV's etc so has anyone flown with them and what do they think?
Any other airlines?
Thanks
Zan
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:14 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bangkok - flights

Originally Posted by Zan
Looking at flight options for our move to Oz and have come up with two scenarios.
but 2. If I have to go alone with the two girls (4 and 2) then I'd rather stopover in Bangkok as we stay in lovely apartments there where the girls can have their own bedrooms and I can order room service and relax in the lounge with the tv without disturbing them while they sleep. (also great pool and children's playpark to amuse them during the day so I won't have to take them out and about).
Thai Airways - keep hearing bad things about them, ie no TV's etc so has anyone flown with them and what do they think?
Any other airlines?
Thanks
Zan
Hi Zan

We flew to Oz with thai and I could not fault the service. Seat pitch is 34inches which was fantastic for economy. Only issue as you say was no backseat TVs. However I phoned Thai customer services and they said that throughout the summer all of the planes were going have the backseat tv's fitted. We went in March and took a personal DVD player with us for our 8yr old. I prebooked seats and child meals for each sector and we had no probs whatsoever.

Might be worth checking the thai airways website and also phoning to see if the tvs have been installed yet. I haven't flown emirates, singapore etc so can't give an opinion but alot of posters rate them highly on here.

I work for BA and even though it sounds disloyal would not fly with them longhaul in economy mainly because of lack of legroom.

Suzy
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:27 am
Zan
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzy
Hi Zan

We flew to Oz with thai and I could not fault the service. Seat pitch is 34inches which was fantastic for economy. Only issue as you say was no backseat TVs. However I phoned Thai customer services and they said that throughout the summer all of the planes were going have the backseat tv's fitted. We went in March and took a personal DVD player with us for our 8yr old. I prebooked seats and child meals for each sector and we had no probs whatsoever.

Might be worth checking the thai airways website and also phoning to see if the tvs have been installed yet. I haven't flown emirates, singapore etc so can't give an opinion but alot of posters rate them highly on here.

I work for BA and even though it sounds disloyal would not fly with them longhaul in economy mainly because of lack of legroom.

Suzy
Suzy thanks for that.
We have a personal dvd and hadn't thought of that! Will check out if they have the tv's installed yet but the dvd is definately an option. We would do night flights anyway so wouldn't need that much entertainment.
The legroom sounds great. We've flown BA the last few times but with always travelling with an under 2 year old have had the bulkheads so have been spoilt.
Zan
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:50 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zan
Any other airlines?
Thanks
Zan
Emirates are pretty good, (well except when we had to emergency land at heathrow cos of engine failure! ) weve flown to Bangkok a couple of times with them. They fly via Dubai.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:05 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Emirates are pretty good, (well except when we had to emergency land at heathrow cos of engine failure! ) weve flown to Bangkok a couple of times with them. They fly via Dubai.
Thanks for that. So if you fly with Emirates do you stop twice then?? (Dubai and then Bangkok) and if so what are the approx flight times for those two legs.
Thanks
Zan
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:15 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zan
Thanks for that. So if you fly with Emirates do you stop twice then?? (Dubai and then Bangkok) and if so what are the approx flight times for those two legs.
Thanks
Zan
We did Glasgow - Dubai (7 hrs)
Dubai - Bangkok (6.5 hrs)

All planes are new and has all the gizmos!
Old Aug 27th 2005, 6:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yamahaha
We did Glasgow - Dubai (7 hrs)
Dubai - Bangkok (6.5 hrs)

All planes are new and has all the gizmos!

I thought emirates flew Glasgow - Dubai then Dubai to Oz? Do they do both?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:15 pm
AC/DC!

Originally Posted by Stitch
I thought emirates flew Glasgow - Dubai then Dubai to Oz? Do they do both?

Cheers

Ginny

Yes, Dubai us a large 'Hub' airport in the middle east, you can go anywhere from there. Its an incredible airport too! Its so much more relaxed an organised that Schipol or the London Airports....