Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Bananas have a plan and would appreciate your opinion - PLEASE.......

Wikiposts

The Bananas have a plan and would appreciate your opinion - PLEASE.......

Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:51 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by anya4oz
Hi Jill,

Not too much to add to what everyone else has said, except to wish you & hubby & kiddies *lots* of luck - I'm sure it will work out well, as you're being very thorough about looking at all the pros and cons beforehand.

Also I would say that being apart from your other half for a while need not necessarily be a bad thing - in fact, it can be quite romantic With all the comms technology we have today, it is a lot easier to keep in touch as much as you like (email, texting each other and you can also get one of those GPS phone cards in Oz, that lets you call home for *really* cheap rates). If you both have digital cameras you can send pics of what you've been up to each day (yes, and, ahem, more 'dubious' ones too, if that's your thing!).

So just imagine you are a Victorian herione waiting for her beau to join her after their secret wedding....! I'm sure you'll be thrilled to see each other again, too! Second honeymoon?

All the best,
Anya.

OOOeerrr like that idea.
But seriously, once again it's down to attertude and how you approach it. Yes it could be hell, but yes it could be romantic too.

Our relationship is as strong as it could be, in our opinion!

We would be very proud of each other coping on the otherside of the world. After all Mr B will have it just as tough, as he will have to do all the tying up on the Uk side - house packing etc. I feel I have the easier option.

Our marriage has been tested quite a few times and we have survived - this will be a breeze

Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:53 pm
Go Banana's !!

I'm off outside now, my head is done in and I'm starving................see you all later

Other opinions most welcome

Jill

Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:14 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by anya4oz
Also I would say that being apart from your other half for a while need not necessarily be a bad thing...
!!! What are you trying to say here??? Come down to my end of the house and explain yourself at once before I set the cats on you!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:18 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
!!! What are you trying to say here??? Come down to my end of the house and explain yourself at once before I set the cats on you!
Yikes, *not* the cats! They'll cuddle me to death!

[Oops, better hotfoot it down to the West Wing to reassure MMW it wasn't personal..... ]

Anya.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:23 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Bananas have a plan and would appreciate your opinion - PLEASE.......

Jill

Well what a good plan, we came out here without the house selling and still hasn't sold but I am sure it will.

Just might be a bit hard with Mr B at home, but then if this is really what you want to do go for it, likeyou siad the good old web cam is a brilliant tool.

Good luck and well done a good plan............

Clevs
Old Jun 6th 2004, 2:31 am
Go Banana's !!

Well we've started the ball rolling............

Booked flights to visit all the rels down south 3 days before we think we will fly to Oz. This bit will be hard, 'cos try as we might to talk them out of it they are planning BBQ's galore - looking forward to it with dread - don't do leaving very well - just like to go..................

We've narrowed our time scale after endless discussion and plan to fly out 13th July - Mr B will drive us back from rels. He is already down there so it's only littlen' and moi that need the one way flights to Bristol - very cheap from Newcastle.

Told Uk rels that's the plan and unless we have any offers on the house this week, it's what we will do. So will be a the travel agent's next weekend sorting it out.

But the best laid plans of mice and men and all that, things could change.

Thanks for all your comments and advice it has been much appreciated and digested.

Jill

Old Jun 6th 2004, 7:50 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Jill,

Well it looks as though you have thought everything through, so go for it.
Have you sold your Yaris yet? I have one that I am struggling to sell, have tried local paper, e-bay etc and nothing. I don't think it's over priced at 4k ono as it's only 3 years old. Any suggestions would be great.

Regards
Sarah
Old Jun 6th 2004, 7:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by teach
Hiya Jill,

Well it looks as though you have thought everything through, so go for it.
Have you sold your Yaris yet? I have one that I am struggling to sell, have tried local paper, e-bay etc and nothing. I don't think it's over priced at 4k ono as it's only 3 years old. Any suggestions would be great.

Regards
Sarah
I assume you're talking about a car here?!? have you tried autotrader? They do a deal of £40 (I think) for 4 weeks ads on the net and 2 weeks in the local AutoTrader magazine. Theres also a thing on there to price your car correctly. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

I dont know of anyone whos done it this way (just people who have bought them this way) but its something I've been thinking about as well. The alternative for a definite sale is to goto a garage and get cash in hand.

Good luck - I'd be interested as to how you do manage to sell it
Old Jun 6th 2004, 8:31 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi Jill

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said.....and no doubt you've considered all the pros and cons of leaving /staying etc...

Whatever your decision...and it sounds like you've decided already....I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll come through it all OK. Another year on your back and this will all be a distant memory

Good luck matey....we're all behind you........

......not literally of course.....that would be daft....you've got enough to worry about without us lot behind ya

Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:30 am
Go Banana's !!

Well I couldn't resist one last look in, like the moth to the flame.

It's been quite a day. We haven't been able to move any further forward with our plan (as it's Sunday) apart from booking flight tickets to say the goodbyes to the rels down south, but in discussions, Mr B and I have moved mountains.

What I wasn't prepared for, which is stupid, was the utter devistation etched on my Mothers face, when I told her. It was like someone had gone in and ripped her heart out. She'd obviously been holding it all together well, but now it has come to it she just crumbled. This is really hard for me being an only child and the fact that only 2 years ago she moved up here to be closer to us.

Strangly I'm not too worried about me, it's the effect on other people that's bothering me.

Will littlen' settle ok without dad?, how will Mr B feel leaving us behind in Oz? and my poor Mother!

But the knock on effect of all this is; how will I handle having this effect on people ?- so in that respect I am worrying about me too.

My stomach is in nots and all I've eaten all day is Ginsters Chicken and Mushroom pastie (sorry Bix it isn't a real cornish one) which I never finished, upon which my daughter informed me I couldn't have any pudding because I'd not finished my lunch

Now I've started to ramble.

Anyway, it all hinges on this week. There is another couple interested in the house but we would need to take quite a drop in price.

We have to wiegh up what is important. If we accept their offer then littlen' and I will stay 'til beginning of Sept and travel out with Mr B. We can't afford to wait any longer after this week if there are no firm offers' cos we have to book flights etc. to be there before Sept so littlen' doesn't have too big a gap in schooling.

I really should go to bed but know I won't sleep.

Thanks for listening
Jill

Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Well I couldn't resist one last look in, like the moth to the flame.

It's been quite a day. We haven't been able to move any further forward with our plan (as it's Sunday) apart from booking flight tickets to say the goodbyes to the rels down south, but in discussions, Mr B and I have moved mountains.

What I wasn't prepared for, which is stupid, was the utter devistation etched on my Mothers face, when I told her. It was like someone had gone in and ripped her heart out. She'd obviously been holding it all together well, but now it has come to it she just crumbled. This is really hard for me being an only child and the fact that only 2 years ago she moved up here to be closer to us.

Strangly I'm not too worried about me, it's the effect on other people that's bothering me.

Will littlen' settle ok without dad?, how will Mr B feel leaving us behind in Oz? and my poor Mother!

But the knock on effect of all this is; how will I handle having this effect on people ?- so in that respect I am worrying about me too.

My stomach is in nots and all I've eaten all day is Ginsters Chicken and Mushroom pastie (sorry Bix it isn't a real cornish one) which I never finished, upon which my daughter informed me I couldn't have any pudding because I'd not finished my lunch

Now I've started to ramble.

Anyway, it all hinges on this week. There is another couple interested in the house but we would need to take quite a drop in price.

We have to wiegh up what is important. If we accept their offer then littlen' and I will stay 'til beginning of Sept and travel out with Mr B. We can't afford to wait any longer after this week if there are no firm offers' cos we have to book flights etc. to be there before Sept so littlen' doesn't have too big a gap in schooling.

I really should go to bed but know I won't sleep.

Thanks for listening
Jill
Hi Jill

understand where you are coming, am starting to see effect on people that we are leaving behind although they remain totally supportive.

not much advice I can give but to say stay positive as things always work themselves out in the end and having quite a bit of wine in the meantime helps........and knocks you out if you can't sleep!!!!

All best

Teresa x
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:07 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi Jill,

Been following this thread with interest as I can see what a difficult decision it's been for you and the family.

The only thing I would say is don't forget exactly that - you have had to make this decision and you've clearly thought it through together very carefully so as to choose the best option.

The rest of the family, including your mum, were always going to be upset whenever the crunch came, it's something that you have to accept and in the words of my Aussie brother in law, "build a bridge and get over it" (although he often says it the wrong way round and gets over it before building the bridge! )

Unless your mum's reaction makes a difference to the practical factors in your decision (finances, schooling etc) you have to be strong and do what's right for you, Mr B and little'n.

After all, you wouldn't be emigrating at all unless you were convinced it's the best thing for your futures, would you?

Fingers crossed for a house offer to help smooth the way for you!

Take care,

Elaine M
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jill

I did exactly what you are planning to do.

My partner worked for a company who gave shares to their employees (based on how much profit the company made), but the employees had to have worked a full year to get them. As this was going to be a significant amount of cash, we decided that my partner would stay in the UK until the end of January. He could then work on getting the house finished and on the market (and hopefully sold) before he left.

I left the UK in September last year with our then 4 year old daughter. We weighed up the pros and cons of me staying until January, but it would have meant our daughter starting school and then having to start all over again once we moved over here, and also having to negotiate with the company I worked for over changing my working hours to accommodate our daughter being taken to and picked up from school.

I moved in with my parents (who live here) and I have to say that it was very hard. Looking back now I probably should have found a place to rent as soon as I arrived, but we were mainly looking at how much money could be saved by not having to rent straight away.

My partner and I kept in touch with each other by phone and also by webcam. My daughter spoke to him regularly and I also gave her a photo of him in a frame to keep by her bed, so that she didn't forget what he looked like (and she could say goodnight to him every night).

My partner came over in February (the house having just been put on the market) and I had just organised a rental home so he moved straight in (don't think he could have coped with living in the same house as my mother!!!).

It did take a bit of time to get back into being a couple as we'd both lived apart for 5 months and things do change a bit, but we are both happy now....and we completed on the house 2 weeks ago.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your move.

Regards
Old Jun 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Jill
Along with everyone else here it seems the right thing to do. The cost of living here would def be cheaper especially as hubby is earning in pounds. I would say there is no descision to be made its been made for you, you would be better off here. It will be hard but hey you have family here which is good, your daughter, and look at a push you have us guys there are loads of us here
Anyway whatever you decide hope it all goes well, hey dont stress either chill
Joanne
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Jill

Your plan sounds like a pretty good one in the circumstances. My only question is why does Mr B have to stay in the UK until the house is sold ? It seems that from what you have said, you do not need to release the equity in the house in order to emigrate.
Also, all that building work sounds like there is more to selling this house than finding viewers.

Whoever has names on the deeds could sign over power of attorney to someone you trust to sell the house on your behalf.

Just a thought

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.