Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banana Leaf Dining Chairs, can they go?

Banana Leaf Dining Chairs, can they go?

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:31 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banana Leaf Dining Chairs, can they go?

Hi there

We recently purchased a new dining table and chairs. The chairs are made of banana leaf and I'm wondering if:-

A. Can the chairs be shipped ok?
B. Might the entire container need to be fumigated or just the chairs? Which I'm assuming would mean more costs.
Also, just thought... the large mirror on the wall is made of coconut leaf.... anybody got advise?

THANKS.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banana Leaf Dining Chairs, can they go?

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Hi there

We recently purchased a new dining table and chairs. The chairs are made of banana leaf and I'm wondering if:-

B. Might the entire container need to be fumigated or just the chairs? Which I'm assuming would mean more costs.
Also, just thought... the large mirror on the wall is made of coconut leaf.... anybody got advise?

THANKS.
i hope so, i've got one too!! would be gutted if they cant come
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:34 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

THANKS.
Won't the chairs go brown ???? and the leaves drop off...
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:41 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

THANKS.
cant understand why people make major purchases when they plan to migrate to oz (or anywhere for that matter).
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:44 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
cant understand why people make major purchases when they plan to migrate to oz (or anywhere for that matter).
What's a banana leaf chair..??
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
maybe its not something people think about when they're buying it!!! maybe they love it, want it, and then realise it might become a problem when they start getting into researching what can and cant be taken into aus!!!!!!

for the record, mine was bought a year ago, wouldnt call it a major purchase though but never entered my head it might be a problem when we come to move!!! call me thick eh!
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
Won't the chairs go brown ???? and the leaves drop off...
Least if the food taste c**p you can always eat the chairs
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

THANKS.

if they can't go then you could always smoke them
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by psb182
if they can't go then you could always smoke them
mmmmm, now theres a thought
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:12 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi there

THANKS.
Hubby walked through the door from work a few ago and said they had to chop up a banana leaf day bed because the quarantine guy wanted it destroyed!!!! He has just said however that you can pay for it to be fumigated, but was cheaper to get it destroyed.

Hope that helps
Jenny
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Had no idea what this stuff was, just had a google. Not the sort of stuff you can have in a house that is owned by a cat Big time scratching posts
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:41 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
Hubby walked through the door from work a few ago and said they had to chop up a banana leaf day bed because the quarantine guy wanted it destroyed!!!! He has just said however that you can pay for it to be fumigated, but was cheaper to get it destroyed.

Hope that helps
Jenny
Hi Jenny
Had a quote today by a shipping company, that to fumigate all the chairs (in fact he clearly stated the entire shipment would be about AU$240. Does that sound about correct, or is it going to be a lot more than that?

Thanks
Neil.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:47 pm
NEO LIVES

Hi Jenny
Had a quote today by a shipping company, that to fumigate all the chairs (in fact he clearly stated the entire shipment would be about AU$240. Does that sound about correct, or is it going to be a lot more than that?

Thanks
Neil.
JUST HAD A LOOK ON GOOGLE IMAGES AND IT LOOKS LIKE A WICKER CHAIR....WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY IT WAS A WICKER CHAIR, THEN I WOULD'VE KNOWN WHAT YOU WERE ALL BANGING ON ABOUT....

p.s. I've just realised my message is in capitals....can't be bothered to change it so don't get on to me for shouting...
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

THANKS.
Dont bother ,the way AQIS are operating at the moment, you are likely to be charged with importing an illegal substance. ............... mm