Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 1:02 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by Siren
Seems like it is time to get the back crack and sack waxed
huh ? ?

Where did this come from Brian ?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 1:32 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
huh ? ?

Where did this come from Brian ?
Wishful thinking - depending on who does it of course !!

Warren

Old Nov 8th 2004, 6:53 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I have finally finished reading this thread up to p. 56....it has taken me 3 days including getting up in the middle of the night just because I wanted to see what happened next! Really enjoyed reading it and it gave me lots to think about.

I hope you don't mind me passing a quick comment about the education issue. I fell asleep thinking about it. I've been on lots of courses in my state of eternal studentship and been fortunate to attend a uni course with a mainly state educated intake and then a different course with a mostly privately educated group of students (all in the UK).

It was interesting seeing how different people react to the freedom of higher education. It appeared to me that the common theme for those people that did well academically was self-motivation. A lot of students had excellent training from the private schools to get into uni and I think this is the advantage plus a good network and some great skills at public speaking/social confidence but if they weren't motivated then they tended to drift in the more distracting environment of uni. Motivated state-educted people could and did compete happily.

I think it's good your daughter (who sounds lovely!) had a good grounding, it appears that she is happy where she is now and is content to coast but I can also see why you want her to have the best opportunity to achieve her potential. So I think, if I was you, I would take her to see the new school and talk it all through with her (pros, cons etc.) and see what she thinks mostly.

The whole point of the ramble about motivation is that it sometimes never occurs to children/students that the education is for them. They work hard to please their parents. I know she is really young but for various reasons I always had to make decisions about my own education and it was very helpful if the adults around me took my opinions seriously! And it sounds like she is a sensible and fun child!

Anyway, hope you don't mind me adding this to your thread.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:01 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by yonk
Well, I have finally finished reading this thread up to p. 56....it has taken me 3 days including getting up in the middle of the night just because I wanted to see what happened next! Really enjoyed reading it and it gave me lots to think about.

I hope you don't mind me passing a quick comment about the education issue. I fell asleep thinking about it. I've been on lots of courses in my state of eternal studentship and been fortunate to attend a uni course with a mainly state educated intake and then a different course with a mostly privately educated group of students (all in the UK).

It was interesting seeing how different people react to the freedom of higher education. It appeared to me that the common theme for those people that did well academically was self-motivation. A lot of students had excellent training from the private schools to get into uni and I think this is the advantage plus a good network and some great skills at public speaking/social confidence but if they weren't motivated then they tended to drift in the more distracting environment of uni. Motivated state-educted people could and did compete happily.

I think it's good your daughter (who sounds lovely!) had a good grounding, it appears that she is happy where she is now and is content to coast but I can also see why you want her to have the best opportunity to achieve her potential. So I think, if I was you, I would take her to see the new school and talk it all through with her (pros, cons etc.) and see what she thinks mostly.

The whole point of the ramble about motivation is that it sometimes never occurs to children/students that the education is for them. They work hard to please their parents. I know she is really young but for various reasons I always had to make decisions about my own education and it was very helpful if the adults around me took my opinions seriously! And it sounds like she is a sensible and fun child!

Anyway, hope you don't mind me adding this to your thread.
8th Nov

Thanks for taking the time to write down your experiences, which seem to be along the lines of what I was thinking anyway. Imogen doesn't seem phased at all - we'll just see where this one takes us............

On a lighter note. HAD A FANTASTIC DAY in Perth today with a couple of fellow posters Hat and bather shopping. Did lunch in style and bought the most fantastic pair of shoes - Maggy will be proud.

In honour of these shoes we have decided that Thursday's coffee meet should be 'wear ya' best shooooz day' and bring a plate, preferably with some food on (der).

Not sure whether the respective husbands shared our joy and would think the day was so fantastic, I had re-enforcements when I showed Warren what I had bought!!.

The best part of the day for me, apart from the fantastic company (with whom another wacky idea is forming..watch this space) was finding Accessorize at last, the best Flip Flop shop in town, so good I bought 3 pairs (all glitz and glam)

Imogen unfortunatley wasn't impressed with the ones I had got her and decided she wanted 'a brighter coloured' pair. I thought I had done well and got her some gorg ones with butterflies and my trade mark sequins, but she said they were too pale and insipid !!!! from a 7 year old You should have seen her face it was a picture of discust. The days when I can direct her to wear what I like are drawing to a close me thinks!

Just got back from a tupperware party, which was actually quite a hoot. It started at 7pm and it's now nearly 11pm. Met some peeps who will be neighbours once the house is built and actually had a really good time. You know what girls are like when they get together, all cackling and Tena lady's.

Well s'pose I'd better get to bed now as Warren is waiting..............

Good night

Jill

Old Nov 8th 2004, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Go Banana's !!]8th Nov

Thanks for taking the time to write down your experiences, which seem to be along the lines of what I was thinking anyway. Imogen doesn't seem phased at all - we'll just see where this one takes us............

Glad you didn't mind me butting in - thought about it a bit more as I had lots of boring cleaning to do and I suppose all my ramblings could be condensed to you will never really know how the school issue will turn out if you make the alternative decision. Bit like moving countries, I suppose. I always ask lots of people for their opinions on stuff and then go with my gut instinct.

I hated my 1st degree - complete waste of time. However, met my lovely other half at 1st uni and my life wouldn't be the same if I hadn't have gone there.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 4:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
the best Flip Flop shop in town, so good I bought 3 pairs (all glitz and glam)

Please don't call them that anywhere but on here - you may get some very strange looks especially if them have butterflies and sequins on :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2004, 2:04 pm
Go Banana's !!

11th Nov

Page 10, page bloody 10!!!!! I had to go and hunt for the diary, hadn't realised it was so long since I had posted, as I have been dipping in other threads, hoping to spread wisdom

Ooo, now what have I been up to, shopping, shopping, feeling ill, getting cross with Warren for commenting on my driving, shopping, chatting, eating cake and staring at a rather large pile of ironing, that just will not go away.

Both Warren and I have been blessed with very irratating and exhausting coughs this week, that we have spread to friends and family.

Warren has been avidly job hunting, before I bleed the bank acount dry. He's had some very posotive feedback and some interviews next week. He's been and registered with the badminton club, which he is rapped about, as it's a fantastic facility, with 10 tip top courts and they play with feathers He's also on the brink of sorting out a diving course with a few other posters and has been in Mindarie today 'doing a deal' as he calls it. Then there is the golf to sort out.

The Smudge is great. He really enjoyed his first trip to the beach (despite the dunking) and to Imogen's horseriding lesson. He now dines on delights such as bovril on toast for breakfast - with his dry food, he loves it. Then for dinner last night he had chicken, gravy and veg mixed with his dry food. We have started to mix a bit of what we have with his food and he loves it, tonight he had fillet steak and potato wedges. It makes me feel he is one of the family, we even get him to lick his lips while he is waiting. He's soooooooooooo cute.
Don't worry it's all been cooked with Warren's knew toy ' The George Forman - Mean Lean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine' really Warren, you were far too rapped!!

Had a chat with Imogen's teacher tonight and she seems to be doing well. She just needs stearing away from reading books only with animals as a subject! She's obsessed. We now have a comparison for when we look at private schools, as we now know what she is doing.

I've been sat tonight composing a letter to put in the Christmas cards to all our friends, giving them an update. This will not suprise you, I'm up to 5 pages and only half way through! Need to condense it as it will cost a fortune to post. A friend of mine always puts an overview of her year in her Christmas card, it's a really neat idea and something I always look forward to, so I thought I would do one, as I have something to write about now.

Going into Perth tomorrow to see the Christmas lights being switched on, a BBQ on Sat with some 'real Aussie' friends, a Curry in Perth Sat night (good luck I hear you cry - s'possed to be good). Then I'd better really tackle that ironing on Sunday.

Got to get the Christmas shopping for the UK sorted fast!!! that one has sort of bit me on the bum, then we have birthdays, parties and all sorts coming up in the next few weeks. One of them is a Movie Star fancy dress - mmmm any suggestions who I can go as ??? on second thoughts better not!!!

Anyone who said they had nothing to do in Perth must have needed their head examining. I wish I had time to explore more. Just getting on with everyday life, mixed with a wee bit of cake eating with the girls!!!

Love you and leave you
Jill

Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:15 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Oooh, where's the badminton club??? That should keep the man out of my hair when we get to Perth...!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

11th Nov

Page 10, page bloody 10!!!!! I had to go and hunt for the diary, hadn't realised it was so long since I had posted, as I have been dipping in other threads, hoping to spread wisdom

Ooo, now what have I been up to, shopping, shopping, feeling ill, getting cross with Warren for commenting on my driving, shopping, chatting, eating cake and staring at a rather large pile of ironing, that just will not go away.

Both Warren and I have been blessed with very irratating and exhausting coughs this week, that we have spread to friends and family.

Warren has been avidly job hunting, before I bleed the bank acount dry. He's had some very posotive feedback and some interviews next week. He's been and registered with the badminton club, which he is rapped about, as it's a fantastic facility, with 10 tip top courts and they play with feathers He's also on the brink of sorting out a diving course with a few other posters and has been in Mindarie today 'doing a deal' as he calls it. Then there is the golf to sort out.

The Smudge is great. He really enjoyed his first trip to the beach (despite the dunking) and to Imogen's horseriding lesson. He now dines on delights such as bovril on toast for breakfast - with his dry food, he loves it. Then for dinner last night he had chicken, gravy and veg mixed with his dry food. We have started to mix a bit of what we have with his food and he loves it, tonight he had fillet steak and potato wedges. It makes me feel he is one of the family, we even get him to lick his lips while he is waiting. He's soooooooooooo cute.
Don't worry it's all been cooked with Warren's knew toy ' The George Forman - Mean Lean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine' really Warren, you were far too rapped!!

Had a chat with Imogen's teacher tonight and she seems to be doing well. She just needs stearing away from reading books only with animals as a subject! She's obsessed. We now have a comparison for when we look at private schools, as we now know what she is doing.

I've been sat tonight composing a letter to put in the Christmas cards to all our friends, giving them an update. This will not suprise you, I'm up to 5 pages and only half way through! Need to condense it as it will cost a fortune to post. A friend of mine always puts an overview of her year in her Christmas card, it's a really neat idea and something I always look forward to, so I thought I would do one, as I have something to write about now.

Going into Perth tomorrow to see the Christmas lights being switched on, a BBQ on Sat with some 'real Aussie' friends, a Curry in Perth Sat night (good luck I hear you cry - s'possed to be good). Then I'd better really tackle that ironing on Sunday.

Got to get the Christmas shopping for the UK sorted fast!!! that one has sort of bit me on the bum, then we have birthdays, parties and all sorts coming up in the next few weeks. One of them is a Movie Star fancy dress - mmmm any suggestions who I can go as ??? on second thoughts better not!!!

Anyone who said they had nothing to do in Perth must have needed their head examining. I wish I had time to explore more. Just getting on with everyday life, mixed with a wee bit of cake eating with the girls!!!

Love you and leave you
Jill

Hi Jill and Warren,

Badminton, Diving & Golf - sounds perfect! I am well up for participating in a bit of that when I get out there - remember me in your plans....

So that will be Helen drinking coffee, eating cake and pole dancing, whilst I play golf and badminton - everyone's a winner!!!

Dave (& Helen)
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:58 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by darkless
Hi Jill and Warren,

Badminton, Diving & Golf - sounds perfect! I am well up for participating in a bit of that when I get out there - remember me in your plans....

So that will be Helen drinking coffee, eating cake and pole dancing, whilst I play golf and badminton - everyone's a winner!!!

Dave (& Helen)
12th Nov

Does sound pretty perfect doesn't it ?

Haven't quite mastered the drinking coffee, while eating cake and pole dancing all at once - LOL at that vision.

Just looked on the 'Curious who's coming to Perth' thread that I started, there's bloody loads of you, an Easter meet sounds pretty fine to me, let you all settle in a bit. The girls will have perfected the pole dancing by then and I hear Salsa dancing has come to Perth, so there should be lots to do for the girlies.

Poor Warren hasn't had the most exciting day as we have been finalising the tiling quote :scared: and double :scared: and other housy things. He showed a mild flicker of emotion when he said he thought 'Freedom' was a nice shop (he absolutely hates Ikea with a passion).

We came back from lunch to check on Smudge, then found the 'puter had gone all wobbly. I went to pick up Imogen, while he spent an hour sorting it out with West Net. Warren said he can't recommend West Net enough, they were fantastic, as it looks like it may have been our prob not theirs. As you can see all sorted now. It was a scary moment for a while, what would you guys have done without me (ran out of smilies, that was mean't to be sarcastic, ok?)

In between all this Smudge decided to chew one of Imogen's drawings that she had left on the table. I wasn't to concerned until the poor little guy started making some very strange 'whooping' noises and twitching violetly. Super Warren to the rescue - managed to make the little guy sick and he coughed it all up. Geeze it was a scary moment and we have kept an eye on him. Warren said, while I was out picking up Imogen, that Smudge went all limp and he had to give him a run around the garden to give him a boost. Poor little guy must have ben in shock!!

Well, it's off to swimming in a mo and then it's off to see the Christmas lights being switched on. The Christmas thread on here has made me realise how lovely it will be to go late night shopping without having to wear ten layers of clothes. I hated that about going Christmas shopping in the UK, as by the time you had spent 4 hours in John Lewis you were baked alive under ten jumpers. It will be quite delightful to Christmas shop in thongs (oo- eer) and be baked alive outside instead!!!

Must dash - life's a beach

Jill

Old Nov 15th 2004, 2:17 pm
Go Banana's !!

15 th Nov - already, geeze this year is going quick.

Tried to resist the temptation to come on here all evening, but in the end, the fact that I have had such a fab day, compelled me to provide you peeps with an update.

You see Mrs Swift and I have been to Claremont again, basking in warm sunshine and leisurely impersonating Christmas shoppers, when in fact all we came home with were shoes!!!

We found the best shoe shop on the planet for 'unusual/reasonably priced' shoes. It's called Marie Claire, tucked away down a side street, but we sniffed it out!! It sells the most amazing shoes you will ever find anywhere, from sexy little beaded thongs with all kinds of fauna and flora on, to that pair of shoes you just have to have, that go with nothing, but you'll die if you don't buy them!! Shoes with ladybirds on, half a forest and diamonds forever.

If you ever need a special pair for a 'wow factor' I swear this is the place to go. Mrs Swift and I squealed around the shop for about an hour and walked out with a pair each and the best bit was we only spent $20 each, so there! "we can be thrifty!!! can me and Mrs Swifty" LOL

If anyone wants me to take them there, just pm me, I feel it is my duty as a woman, you have to know about these things.

I did actually buy some Christmas presents, as we found some fantastic gift shops, I love Claremont.

The next fantastic find is the two provision shops in Claremont, one is called Claremont Fresh and I can't remember the name of the other one. It was like walking into Waitrose (the one thing I did miss when we lived in Newcastle - which I had just about weened myself off). Again we 'ooood and arrrd' around the shop like two desert explorers who had just found water.

Call us sad if you like, but we had a lovely day, it's what being a woman is all about. Born to shop until ya drop'. I tell you, they'll be nailin' that coffin lid down and I'd still pop back up to take a peek if someone shouted "Sale!"

Then we had a lovely lunch at a little Italian, sat outside in the warm sunshine. The standing joke is now "Like bein' on 'oliday this" said every 5 mins just to really piss Graham off Slate us if you like, but it was like being on holiday, only better as going home was only a 35 min drive!!!

Well the Banana houshold has been very busy these last few days and I have been instructed to limit my time on here as Mr B is job hunting (to support my spending habits - look I'm not as bad as I make out, honest gov) All very promising so far.

We went out to Nine Mary's on Saturday for a curry. If I'm honest, the company was great but the curry was just ok. The dishes were very, very salty and I like salt. Perhaps they had heard the poms complaining about the blandness and in an effort to combat that, tipped the entire by-product from a desalination plant in the curry!!! Still we did discover the the hottest vindaloo in Australia, so that was something.

Sunday Warren took Imogen to the beach for the day, while muggins stayed in and did the ironing and I still have another basket full. Actually I was still feeling a bit crook, as this cough has really taken it out of me, so was happy to stay in, iron and watch some crappy Hallmark movies. Sometimes you just need that time out. Needless to say I was back on full throttle today, shopping...he he...

I've said it once but I'll say it again, anyone who has said Perth has nothing to do needs their head examining. We have so much coming up, we are having trouble keeping up and are panicking that we'll miss something really fun.

There is The Wanneroo Show, which has all sorts going on and fireworks, a big gymnastic comp that Imogen is in (which is an all dayer) , a Gala Day with all the rides from the Royal Show ($16 to get in but then all the rides are free), the Christmas Pagent in the City (11th Dec), the candle lit carol concert in Kings Park, THE NEXT EXPATS MEET (should we decide on one), parties to go to, a river cruise and still we haven't visited any of the major stuff that Perth is all about. Not to mention fitting in a hair appointment (with free pedicure!) a facial and about six more coffee mornings until Christmas!!!!

What I am so looking forward to this year is no panic Christmas shopping, as we are going out for the day and by the end of the week all the Christmas presents will be bought, wrapped and sent, with a bit of luck and a trailing wind.

So I'd better get on and get some rest as I think I'm going to need it!!!

Best wishes to you all
Jill

Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:32 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

15 th Nov - already, geeze this year is going quick.

Tried to resist the temptation to come on here all evening, but in the end, the fact that I have had such a fab day, compelled me to provide you peeps with an update.

Jill
Oh Jill,

Yet another diary entry prompts me to sit back, close my eyes and nod off, whoops, I mean close my eyes and dream excitedly about how long I've got before I'M THERE TOO. Thanks a million for keeping me focussed (how bizarre that a person I've never met could do that....... and you're not even my shrink!!) on the goal and keep me motivated. Keep it up chuck.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

suecroft will become famous soon enoughsuecroft will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Shoes !!
I'm happy again.

Thought I would have to raid Kaliko and Jones before I came over to keep me in supply.
Now no worries.
And a Waitrose look a like too - gets better,

Jill - you need to do more shopping !! It is your duty as a fellow female to let all new Ex Pats know just where to shop.

See you in Feb

Sue
Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:57 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

We found the best shoe shop on the planet for 'unusual/reasonably priced' shoes. It's called Marie Claire, tucked away down a side street, but we sniffed it out!! It sells the most amazing shoes you will ever find anywhere, from sexy little beaded thongs with all kinds of fauna and flora on, to that pair of shoes you just have to have, that go with nothing, but you'll die if you don't buy them!! Shoes with ladybirds on, half a forest and diamonds forever.

If you ever need a special pair for a 'wow factor' I swear this is the place to go. Mrs Swift and I squealed around the shop for about an hour and walked out with a pair each and the best bit was we only spent $20 each, so there! "we can be thrifty!!! can me and Mrs Swifty" LOL

If anyone wants me to take them there, just pm me, I feel it is my duty as a woman, you have to know about these things.

oooooh oooooh oooooh - me me me - can I come next time ????

need a couple of pairs of shoes, been looking and looking but cant find the right thing. sounds like this could be the place for me <sexy little beaded thongs> does it every time . And $20 a pop, sounds like the kind of place chris will approve of as well ! !
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:06 am
Go Banana's !!

Thurs 17th Nov (morning) !!

Guess bloody what. I have got my first interview !!! Yippeee

Admittedly it was with a company which wanted to see me when we got here but its taken a while to get something set up.

I am really excited and its this Friday. I may have to go back several roles before going forward but no-one ever said it would be easy and I was prepared for this in order to get my WA experience.

In the meantime I have been busy applying for several other jobs in and outside of my field and we'll see what pops up.

Warren
Perth and loving it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.