Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Jul 30th 2004, 5:27 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Phew! And I thought it was exhausting enough tidying up a million loose ends before going. Reading your diary has doubled my exhaustion level! Keep it up and shame the rest of us into doing something similar!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Jill, Regarding your child testing at age 12. Dont get to excited, we also insisted our sons were tested, the 7 year old also came out at age 12, he also reads novels wonder if that has something to do with it? The solution - the school offered him to skip a grade so hes now with kids a year to two older although still finds work very easy.

My son with moderate dyslexia, was given very extensive testing he passed WAY above average in every indicator apart from ones linked to spelling

Year 2 sounds very low for a 7 year old this way through the school year, get her moved up a grade or two, it happens with english children all the time, arrive one week zip up a grade the next, its important to do it early tho before they make close friends.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Hi all

what a great thread

Keep it coming

Peter
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:57 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Thursday 30th July 04 - The day before the rat...........

Phew - whoever said living in Oz would be laid back wants shooting. I've had a very productive day, if a little hectic.

Got liitlen' to school and was greated by a rather pale faced looking teacher who proceeded to give me the test results , from what they have done so far. I think the teacher was hoping that the tests would reveal that we had over estimated littlen's ability. Oh good god no, she's come out in every test so far as an average age 12 :scared: Anyway we await what they are going to do.

I was also presented with a very long list of all the excersise boks I need to get her. I had no idea you have to buy literally EVERYTHING, we'd already got her the usual pens pencils etc, but this is even, glue, scissors, erasers, pencil sharpeners, books to write in , folders about 6 of each. Not a prob just didn't expect it.

Not sure when I can get it all though as I don't think I'll be able to leave the rat and shop on Monday. One thing finding a spider in ya shoe another one finding your shoe doesn't resemble one anymore and the entire contents of the larder have made a great play area. Deep joy, what in god's name have I let myself in for .

When I got back, all fired up I contacted a few of the private schools, just to ask what they would do in the situation. I was horrified to hear that they strive to have class sizes of 36 !! and one school had a waiting list of 3 years!!. Another had a vacancy in year 2, but no others. When I asked why there was a place, I was informed that they had split the class and hoped to get back up to the numbers of 36 in each class very soon. I was not impressed, as they didn't seem to be able to offer anything more than the school she is at did and even talked about 'special lessons' for her. I wanted to yell "She's not a freak" but didn't think they would appreciate that.

I upgrade Foxtel to the all singing all dancing, which is about $90 from memory - keep working darlin', as fast as you can earn it I can spend it.

Then a very nice piece of 'eye candy' turned up to service me car. I refrained from the "My husbands back in the UK' routine and just offered him a cup of tea - did I mention I was only wearing fluffy slippers at the time

Sorted out horseriding lessons - mmmm that's cheap NOT NOT NOT $43 for a half hour lesson. They have insisted that she has a one to one until she can canter confidently on her own and then she moves to a group class which is $37 for an hour - not quite so bad. The group is 5 children max.

Couldn't join the library as I don't have anything here with my name on and this address, it's all in Wozzas name , so that's a bit of a prob - until I get my driving lisence.

Swimming was great, she was in a class of 3 and I talked the ears off a couple who I asked if I could join and then I promptly invited myself for coffee. Their two boys go to the same school and they live in the suburb we want to be in, so have given me their phone number and are keeping their eyes out for me. They also informed me that I had to get a dog lisence, just a small matter I'd overlooked. Thier little boy is in the same tennis class as littlen', so when we drop them off next week, I'm going for coffee..she has no idea............she enters the Twilight Zone

After the swimming there was free play, which she inisted on staying for, for an hour!! - she liked playing with the boys!! oh no..........They have a great coffee shop, so that poor couple were stuck with me for another hour.

Got back and madam persuaded me to cook her a roast dinner!!. So in between phoning Warren, getting her bath ready, washing her hair, boiling potatoes to roast, unpacking the car, unpacking her school back, helping her with her homework, I managed to marinade some strips of steak and make some guacamole for my tea, which I will cook when I have finished this. I flamin' buggared. As I sit here I find myself wanting to just crawl into bed, 'cos I know tommorrow is going to be interesting. Oh and inbetween all this I got a disposable camera so I can take some picks of the little fellow for you and went to Warren's cousins for a chat and tea. Funnily my jaws don't ache, years of practise.

So when I'd finished wrapping her presents and filling in the calander I realised we now only have 2 nights when she's not doing something Tues - horseriding, Wed- Tennis, Thurs - walking cousins dog, Fri- swimming, Sat- Gymnastics, like girl, where's ya Mum gonna fit in her life??. Not to mentin trying to get the poo machine to aim right - poor little fellow he's entering a mad house. I don't actually mind one bit, keeps me out of mischief and somewhere along the line, it's puppy classes.

Don't have the eating problem with madam anymore, can't keep up with her, she's now having 3 rounds of toast for supper, a snack when she gets in and she has just eaten 9 roasties, a hunk of steak, carrots and peas, I'd have struggled ooo and then an iced donut and a bowl of strawberries.

Speaking of food, strawberries are wonderful, like nothing you will have tasted, avacados are pretty good to, meat excellent and cheap, deli's are great and all my Uk comfort foods have been replaced. It's been great fun trying new stuff at the deli's and they are big in all the anti pasta stuff. Yes and I am going to try the pecan pie at The Cheesecake Shop.

I have the occassional thought in the day, that catches me and I think of something in the uk, but I try and replace it with a positive one and it is so far working. If the house sells soon I shall be over the moon, as the only real thing I am missing is Warren. Having said that, I am soooooooooooooooooo glad this is the way we have gone about it, It really has forced me into making the effort and I have achieved in a short space of time, far more than I ever thought I would and it's been far less painful.

Better go now as my tummy is starting to rumble. I remember declaring, before I came, that if I was bored I would make myself do 3 things a day. God how I wish I only had 3 things to do.

Jill

Speaking of me, this glam image I had of me swanning around getting my bnails done and my hair, hasn't quiet materialised yet
Jill in case you did'nt know the writing teams of coronation street & eastenders have decided to call it a day as they have lost half their viewing audience to you!! good on you!! you are living the dream and making a bloody good job of it!!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:26 am
Go Banana's !!

Sat 31st July

Couldn't resist a quick post, before the main event, as I sit here wrapped in a white fluffy towel, all freshly showered, looking sexy (yeh right - just let me dream)

I've told madam that the lady in the pet shop said as it's her birthday, she can hold one of the puppies, get ya tissues ready Mum. My stomach is in knots.

One point I feel I need to make. I made exactly the same effort to talk to people and intergrate into society (very hard to hide the hairy hands when the moon comes out), when we moved to the North East 3 years ago.

This isn't about it being Oz, so think carefully, its a hell of an upheaval and you may be able to make changes in your life in the UK.

Having said that though, it does seem alot easier to talk to people in Oz and I am an expert (15 moves in 17 years - so I can speak from experience) there are no waiting lists for clubs, so getting started has been alot quicker, which in turn has generated a whole bunch of fresh ears for me to bend and everyone is interested in our story, with no glazing over, it's great, I'm in paradise..me, me, me, me............

Anyway, off to gymnastics in a mo and will update later.

Jill

Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:46 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IMOGEN

:PARTY:
Old Jul 31st 2004, 12:47 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Then a very nice piece of 'eye candy' turned up to service me car. I refrained from the "My husbands back in the UK' routine and just offered him a cup of tea - did I mention I was only wearing fluffy slippers at the time

ONLY fluffy slippers :scared: You hussy
Old Jul 31st 2004, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

bamboy is an unknown quantity at this point

JILL,

YOU HAVE A WAY WITH WORDS! BRILL POST. U TELL IT THE WAY IT IS. CANT WAIT TO READ YOUR FIRST BOOK.

CATS
Old Jul 31st 2004, 5:26 am
Go Banana's !!

31st July - update - From Mission Impossible.

While littlen' was at gymnastics, I had a bit of an explore and managed, without getting lost, to get myself to Mirrabooka shopping centre. Great there was a BIG W there, so was able to get all the bits for school. I also decided to pick up a set of oven gloves and asked the assistant where they were.

She turned round and said " Do you know where Manchester is?" for a minute I looked at her oddly and thought what the hell is she asking me that for? , has she recognised my accent? and thinks I'm from there. Then I luckily (before making a complete tit of myself) remembered what Mairi had told me, that Manchester is the linens department and that's were the oven gloves where. Pheweee, that could have been a most bizzar conversation.

Now onto the pet store.........All went according to plan. Littlen' thought I was joking. I told her that I knew the lady who had bought the puppy and that she could visit everyday, 'cos that lady is me. "NOOOOOOOOOOOO Mum really, you must be joking" it took me a few mins to make her believe me. I'm now the best Mum in the world. THE BEST. So armed with dog bowls, beds, collar, toys and 'don't p**s on the carpet' pads and a bag to carry the little guy in, we left the store. Only to realise half way home that we had forgotten his food and we ahd to go back!

However things took a further wrong turn in the world of Mrs Bucket - on the way home. The little guy promptly threw up in the car all over liitlen' and the seats. I had to laugh.

Got him back and washed his little paws and gave him a drink of water, obviously doesn't like car journeys. Should be great fun taking him to the vets on Monday.

The house already smells of dog and I'm trying not to clench too much.

In my haste to get outside and clean the car up, when we got back, I took a running jump right through the patio door, which happened to be closed at the time. I do hope today improves. I banged my knee and squashed my already cute button nose right into my face. Littlen' thought this was hilarious and right at that moment 'SMUDGE' peed on the only bit of carpet in the house. I can see we are going to get on famously.

One glimmer of hope is that after that we have managed to get him to wee on some pads from the pet shop, with the aid of some revoulting smelling spray. By luck I think, rather than judgement, he's also 'performed' on the mat.

If anyone would like to send me a pm with some helpful hints and tips for the next few days, I would be seriously grateful.

Have the cousins coming in a couple of hours for a birthday tea for littlen', that'll sure make Smudge c**p himself - deep joy.

So onto more adventures for Moi, littlen' and SMUDGE

Jill

Old Jul 31st 2004, 5:39 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

LOL Jill. Brilliant post. Hope the nose and knee are better soon.

All the running around after Smudge will take you mind off your injuries. BTW is that his official new name ?

Do you think the 'eye candy' will come back to help clean up your car ?????? If so can I be there as well please, please, please.

Enjoy the party and hope smudge doesnt c**p too much. If he does, just break out the wine bottle and after a few glasses things will seem much better

M

PS. any news on the house viewing ???
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:48 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
LOL Jill. Brilliant post. Hope the nose and knee are better soon.

All the running around after Smudge will take you mind off your injuries. BTW is that his official new name ?

Do you think the 'eye candy' will come back to help clean up your car ?????? If so can I be there as well please, please, please.

Enjoy the party and hope smudge doesnt c**p too much. If he does, just break out the wine bottle and after a few glasses things will seem much better

M

PS. any news on the house viewing ???

Mr Banana here now in the UK. LOL or what !! Even I look forward to reading the latest updates. The house viewings are at 2pm and 6pm today. I hope Bundy is still crossing everything and here extremeties haven't dropped off !!

I'm due for the first webcam link up with Jill and Little'un at 9pm so am really looking forward to it and my office webcam is set up next week. At least I'll be able to see them both every day if they can manage to manoevre through all the P*** and s**t !

Anyway, must crack on as being a "single" bloke now in the UK I have got all the washing and cleaning to do ready for the viewings - and Jill if you read this yes I am buying flowers and I will spray all the rooms - the smell of curry has just about gone from last night.

Best wishes to all

Warren
God I want to be in Perth today !!

Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:49 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joveazey
This is really sad, but I'm finding myself in suspense at the "Rat arrives" episode.

Jo

Me too!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Mr Banana here now in the UK. LOL or what !! Even I look forward to reading the latest updates. The house viewings are at 2pm and 6pm today. I hope Bundy is still crossing everything and here extremeties haven't dropped off !!

I'm due for the first webcam link up with Jill and Little'un at 9pm so am really looking forward to it and my office webcam is set up next week. At least I'll be able to see them both every day if they can manage to manoevre through all the P*** and s**t !

Anyway, must crack on as being a "single" bloke now in the UK I have got all the washing and cleaning to do ready for the viewings - and Jill if you read this yes I am buying flowers and I will spray all the rooms - the smell of curry has just about gone from last night.

Best wishes to all

Warren
God I want to be in Perth today !!
Warren
Good luck with the viewings. I hope that they decide to put in an offer. Then you can be off to Perth and take the doggie for a walk
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:52 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Have the cousins coming in a couple of hours for a birthday tea for littlen', that'll sure make Smudge c**p himself - deep joy.

So onto more adventures for Moi, littlen' and SMUDGE

Jill

LMAO!!! Im so glad you are all settling in and looking forwad to the next installment!

Lucy
xx
Old Jul 31st 2004, 7:11 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Thursday 29th July 04

What with that and the Saddle Club dooner with horses heads on, I'm beggining to think I stepped into The Godfather.
LOL...Glad to see that you've moved on from Fatal Attraction to The Godfather! Keep away from the rabbits in the pet store, though. (Not sure I like the way Warren has moved closer to Essex, either. Getting very nervous now!)

Brilliant posts though Jill, keep them coming.

Steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.