Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

So can I officially uncross yet, or do you still need maintenance level for a while?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally Posted by bundy
So can I officially uncross yet, or do you still need maintenance level for a while?
I don't remember seeing Warren giving you permission to uncross anything.

Just sit there quietly and await further instructions farm girl.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't remember seeing Warren giving you permission to uncross anything.

Just sit there quietly and await further instructions farm girl.

Ok, ok, ok. Still crossed then
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:11 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
1st Sept

This one will make you laugh, wasn't going to tell you guys but guess who FAILED her written driving test this morning? moi - oh the shame and they won't let you go back and do it until the next day. I failed by one mark, which I disputed. The rule book said you have to turn right and go into the right hand lane, but the test answer was that you can change lanes. When I disputed this they said tough the rule changed 2 years ago and we just forgot to update it in the book!! and guess what? you can also put your life in danger by riding in the back of a yute as long as it has role bars - until 2005, they are really going to stop you suffering major head trauma - which is what I have today. I'm so cross at myself as I had most of the answers right and went back and changed a few before I finished and guess what? I'd changed all the right ones to wrong ones - I do worry sometimes.

Bit of good news - Centrelink did back date my payments from the day I arrived (that's for Warren) but I'm not touching it incase we have to pay any back - bit pointles having it really if I can't bloody spend it

We are now the proud owners of a decent sized block of Australian sand! (refunable deposit if house sale goes tits up - but our offer has ben accepted) 20 mins from Hillary's and 20 mins from Perth, just of Alexander Drive in Landsdale. May not suit everyones tastes, but we like it.

It's opposite the park, a 2 min walk to school, 5 mins from Reid Highway so we are very pleased. Don't forget darling it was me who found it and will take full credit!!.

Been for a planning meeting with house builders and we are all set to go when the house in the uk exchanges.

We just have one minor thing to sort and that's Warren getting a job, but there's always burger flippin'.

Went out with one of the rels yesterday and had a drive around further north - Jondalup. Now my impressions of it where it was like a little town all of it's own, very clean, nicely laid out, some lovely houses but little or no land in the bits that I saw. Driving around the backs of some of them, with garages at the back reminded me of holiday villas in Spain. Now this was just my impression and lots of you will like it, I can see the appeal, but just not for me. Landsdale may not be your thing as I think it's a bit like Stepford, but that's why I like it

Anyway from what I gather so far there is a vast difference in 'the feel' of each suburb and you do have to visit them. It very obviously depends what you are after.

The next few weeks I will be spending going round all the suppliers of fixtures and fittings for the house, haggling and having so much fun. This is soooooooooooooo me and am in my element.

Seeing the girlies tommorrow and off to Freemantle on Friday and maybe on Sat if weather is nice go to the beach for the first time since we got here 7 weeks ago.

The house sale seems to be progressing nicely.

That's it for now

Jillx
Oooops!!!!! for the driving test. Didnt actually think it was possible to fail but once again you prove me wrong

Wooooohoooo and congrats for the land purchase ! really, really looking forward to the "roof raising" party.

Sounds like you had a much more exciting day than me.

I got my paperwork through today for my new job.

Postman delivered at 0900, so I knuckled down and started filling in forms. By 15.30 had completed as much as possible so headed off to Fremantle to hand it in. Got to Leeuwin Barracks and met the HR person. 1 1/2 hours later :scared: I left the barracks having completed the last of the paperwork and with the job confirmed !!! woohoo, I am officialy employed as of monday (subject to my top secret clearances which will take 3 months to complete). Bummer is that tomorrow is my last coffee "morning". Cakes are on me Girls !!!!

Note to whoever is interested ......... If you want a job with the Australian Defence Force be prepared for at least 8 hours of paperwork BEFORE your job is confirmed.

The killer question was ... "list all overseas travel SINCE BIRTH"

bear in mind I have visited 38 countries (most more than once) since I was born 39 years ago - needless to say I am treating myself to a couple (or five) glasses of chocolate port as a reward for all the paperwork I filled in today Personally I think I deserve it !!!!!!!!

If you ever get a job with the department of defence be prepared for MAJOR amounts of paperwork.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:26 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
Oooops!!!!! for the driving test. Didnt actually think it was possible to fail but once again you prove me wrong

Wooooohoooo and congrats for the land purchase ! really, really looking forward to the "roof raising" party.

Sounds like you had a much more exciting day than me.

I got my paperwork through today for my new job.

Postman delivered at 0900, so I knuckled down and started filling in forms. By 15.30 had completed as much as possible so headed off to Fremantle to hand it in. Got to Leeuwin Barracks and met the HR person. 1 1/2 hours later :scared: I left the barracks having completed the last of the paperwork and with the job confirmed !!! woohoo, I am officialy employed as of monday (subject to my top secret clearances which will take 3 months to complete). Bummer is that tomorrow is my last coffee "morning". Cakes are on me Girls !!!!

Note to whoever is interested ......... If you want a job with the Australian Defence Force be prepared for at least 8 hours of paperwork BEFORE your job is confirmed.

The killer question was ... "list all overseas travel SINCE BIRTH"

bear in mind I have visited 38 countries (most more than once) since I was born 39 years ago - needless to say I am treating myself to a couple (or five) glasses of chocolate port as a reward for all the paperwork I filled in today Personally I think I deserve it !!!!!!!!

If you ever get a job with the department of defence be prepared for MAJOR amounts of paperwork.
any excuse for a drink !!

Warren

Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:27 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by bundy
Ok, ok, ok. Still crossed then
Hi Bundy,

Maintenance level only will suffice !! Nice to see you obedient for the Great Bix !!

See you next Saturday at the Essex meet.

Warren

Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Mairi!!
Btw, I thought is was next monday.. ahhhh!

Btw, girls, yesterday I went to Harbour Town, that outlet shopping centre!
It was much bigger than I expected(LOTS of shops, including Pumkin patch for kids, and Cotton World(seeing as everybody seems to miss cotton).
I got converse sneakers(just low ones) for $40 (usually 130), and a dress for $20. And then in was 5.30 and all the shops closed It was great, we have to go there sometime!
Oh, and then I decided to take that little bit of Freeway home(Wellington - Powis st), and it was a traffic jam!! So that's that myth dispelled

Another thing discoverd: it costs about $35 to send a 1.6kg package home(ehhhhh, Europe)! And that's economy air (2-3 weeks).
Normal air(10 days aprox) is about $45 or so, and sea(3 months or so) is $20 or so.........
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bundy,
Nice to see you obedient for the Great Bix !!
Warren
It's taken a while Warren but it's getting there.
Firstly had to remove the posh layer and now attacking the raw cowgirl spirit.

By the looks of things my next assignment will be in perth
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:27 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

any excuse for a drink !!

Warren
haa - you know me ! who needs an excuse !!!!!!!!

Hi my name is Mairi and I'm an alcoholic

PS. As of today the defence of the nation is in my hands !!!! Are you :scared: yet ??????

Mike, Kong do your worst !!!!!!!!! I'm sure you can make this into a negative ! Actually dont bother, a 2 year old could make this into negative.

I promise as of monday I will give up (OK cut back) the chocolate port. The things I do for my country

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Sep 1st 2004 at 4:39 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:28 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Bix
By the looks of things my next assignment will be in perth

Ooooooh ! promises promises
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:32 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Simone
OMG Mairi!!
Btw, I thought is was next monday.. ahhhh!

<snip>
Was meant to be, but got a phone call yesterday arvo saying could I start this Monday !!!!! Bummer !!! tried to explain about the pole dancing club but they didnt believe me
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:37 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by Simone
<snip>
Another thing discoverd: it costs about $35 to send a 1.6kg package home(ehhhhh, Europe)! And that's economy air (2-3 weeks).
Normal air(10 days aprox) is about $45 or so, and sea(3 months or so) is $20 or so.........
Yep major downside.

Costs more to post presents than it does to buy them !

Just as well I like my friends in Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:32 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done with the land, one more hurdle overcome!!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:45 am
Go Banana's !!

[QUOTE=Mairi&Chris]Oooops!!!!! for the driving test. Didnt actually think it was possible to fail but once again you prove me wrong

2nd Sept

I know I know I hang my head in shame - I was mortified. Probably got something to do with the fact that like my 'O' levels, I did no revision!! Thought I was invincible!!!
Oh well - see you all later
Jill

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Go Banana's !!]
Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris

2nd Sept

I know I know I hang my head in shame - I was mortified. Probably got something to do with the fact that like my 'O' levels, I did no revision!! Thought I was invincible!!!
Oh well - see you all later
Jill

So you fail the driving test, then hop into your car and drive home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.