Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:05 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Thought I'd move all my ramblings to one self explanatory diary, for peeps to tune into if they so wish. Yeh right
This is mainly for my benefit, as I keep loosing track where I've commented.

Wednesday 28th JUly

Had a considerably better day today. Littlen's teacher had read all her UK reports and examples of her work. She was facinated by the UK system and wanted to hear all about her lessons, commenting on the variety of stuff she has done.

She said that she had had a meeting with the Head regarding Littlen's education programme. They are going to test her with some standard Australian tests to find out how she stacks up with Oz children - but on the surface they have a child who is considerably brighter than the rest of the children in her class. (her class is 7 -9 year olds and she is 7)
BTW - I'm not boasting about this, it's just information as the majority of the UK children they have in the school are brighter than the Oz children, but all hope is not lost, they do have resources and help to deal with it. Some of you may come across these issues and if you know that something can be done then it's reassuring.
Anyway after they have done the tests they then want to sit down with me and we will decide between us what they can do for her. The teacher said that if necessary she will design a special programme for her. That was this morning.

After that I went off and explored Coles, as a supermarket I think it's miles better than Woolies - much better they layout and I found better choice.

Then I bought a vacuum cleaner, needed a cheapie as we have one in the UK, I paid the grand total of $80 after a bit of haggling and dangling the carrot of "We'll be in the market for fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher etc...." It's a cute little number.
Booked littlen' into swimming lessons for this Friday, $50 per term and no 2 year waiting list like the UK - you think I'm joking? I kid you not, littlen' never got to the top of the waiting list at the local pool in UK.
Ladies were so nice and she will be in a class of 6 children.

Then came home and made myself some fresh guacamole and salsa and had nachos for lunch mm mm mmmmm, better than any Tesco crap. Read me book for an hour, sat outside in the sun, be careful, althought it's a bit chilly, I still caught the sun, any longer and I'd have burn't.

Littlen' insisted that I pick her up from school like a big girl and do the 'kiss and drive' system, I eyed her suspisiously and tried not to think it sounded like an excellent party game

This is the alternative to parking up and picking your child up from the classroom.
It works like this: the school has a Warden who stands with the children as thay come out of school and you drive past and bundle your child into the car and get away as quick as posible. You are not allowed to stop which I found out. I'd stopped the car in the designated area about 5 mins before they were due to come out and got a very polite telling off . I was also told off for facing the wrong direction!!.
The cars travel around in a convoy (there is a roundabout at either end of the strip infrount of the school) It looks so funny. You have to keep circling until you spot your child. Once I get used to it I think it's a good idea. Parking outside the school is impossible, think they all must arrive at 1 pm.

Excitedly rushed back via the bakery, were I purchased a rather yummy apple and custard twist, for a very special guest.
Unfortunatley we had alot more yapping to do than time would allow, as the conversation was interrupted by the Headmaster ringing me at home. No prompting from me I might add.
In a nutshell he explained that initially he is going to ring me on a daily basis to keep the dialogue going on Littlen's progress. After the test we will have a meeting with him and the school shrink! (not sure if he mean't for me)

He feels this needs to be nipped in the bud early so that the school can get her education at the correct level. He explained all the options available to him, all the rescourses. They have special programmes for 'gifted' children, which they go offsite for or he may move her up a year. He fully understood that for her to become bored at this age would be quite damaging to her attertude towards school. He has been in the class with her today, spending time watching her.

I was amazed at this attention and feel a million times better about the whole thing. I explained to Littlen' what was happening in the next few days to make sure she was happy with that.

Moving on, we have a potential viewing on the house, but not getting my hopes up about that one.

Tommorrows mission is the purchase of a whole pet store for the arrival of 'The rat' - I am offically mad.

Still need to get a flippin hair cut and a nail job. Not sure whether I need a makeover or a bulldozer to flatten the creases and start from scratch.

Bit scared of taking the plunge into the world of haircuts - used to enjoy going now I'm petrified. The longer I leave it the less it resembles the original style, so that will be even harder to explain "Style - what style?"

Rang Toyota to use the services of the 'at home service' the lady apologised that there was a delay and it would have to be the day after tommorrow. Oh how I laughed, I used to have to wait at least 3 weeks to book in a service at the garage in the UK and even longer if I wanted the use of a car. So it looks like it's just Telstra that sucks - most Ausies agree.

Much as I would love to sit and type all night Littlen' wants some supper and I need to wash up after cooking a curry.

Next episode coming soon..................

Jill

Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:08 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Brilliant Loved it This will certain make a good book

Look forward for the next episode
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:13 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic - awaiting more installments. And yes, get yourself a good publisher Jill!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Nice one Jill, so far so good. keep it up.
Joanne
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:17 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Jill;

I like this bit:- '''the 'kiss and drive' system, I eyed her suspisiously and tried not to think it sounded like an excellent party game''''

Everything crossed for the viewing
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:18 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by bundy
Fantastic - awaiting more installments. And yes, get yourself a good publisher Jill!

Forgot to mention the best part of the day...I was reminded as I looked in the fridge....................:

Warren !!! Coles do the chillis stuffed with cream cheese exactly the same as the ones in Fenwicks!!! and the best semi dried smoked tomatoes - I've had a feast, I'm doing my own steak fajitas tommorrow with homemade guac. and the curry made enough for 4 - anyone fancy a carryout?

Jill

Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Jill,
Have I missed something. You said today is slightly better.
I thought all was well
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:23 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Jill,
Have I missed something. You said today is slightly better.
I thought all was well
Just had a blip with the school yesterday that's all, explained on the ' In for a penny thread', about 4 pages back.

This is why I've stared this as I was having trouble keeping up.
Jill

Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

LauranJ is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thanx for keeping us informed.

It's great to hear from people on the other side!! especially when it seems so far off for us.

Keep it up and I'll look forward to the next installment
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:27 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Just had a blip with the school yesterday that's all, explained on the ' In for a penny thread', about 4 pages back.

This is why I've stared this as I was having trouble keeping up.
Jill

And good news it is on the school front...got to keep plugging away at these things.

I was ahead at school and they took no notice, so my mum spent a lot of time teaching me at home in addition to my school work. Stood me in good stead until I went to a better school. I've done a bit of tutoring myself, mainly for kids who are in need of more of a challenge than they get at school (including one 7yr old who did all her maths homework in roman numerals )...thinking I might get back in to tutoring when I return to Oz. Sounds like there might be a market for it!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

... we have a potential viewing on the house, .......

Yeeeeeeeeey. All fingers, toes and eyes crossed in anticipation that this could be the one.

Warren, cross yours as well. :lecture: :lecture: October could still be on the timeline for you to get back to OZ !!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

BTW - I'm not boasting about this, it's just information as the majority of the UK children they have in the school are brighter than the Oz children, but all hope is not lost, they do have resources and help to deal with it. Some of you may come across these issues and if you know that something can be done then it's reassuring.

Jill
Jill

Nice post.

It could be that the UK children are not brighter than the Australian children. Just that the UK system is more advanced.

This is an important point for parents to note.

Best wishes

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Jill, you are a fantastic writer - really makes it come to life. I'm starting to feel I'm there beside you, going through at all.
Thought of writing a book on migration at all?? Not necessarily a serious one, but a realistic one!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

jana1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please write a book - I will be one of your first customers!!
brilliant post...
Jana
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

Quick Jill, slap a copyright on your posts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.