Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Banana Diaries 2 - The Return To Planet Jill

Banana Diaries 2 - The Return To Planet Jill

Old May 15th 2005, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Banana Diaries 2 - The Return To Planet Jill

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Dont read it then !!!!!!

Nicky ( banana fan )
Note their number of posts! Troll alert!!!
Old May 15th 2005, 8:45 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Note their number of posts! Troll alert!!!
More likely someone that just does not enjoy the diaries and is a regular poster under a different name.

I have been inspired by the diaries, we could use this Forum as our own free blog type thing - you get free photo space in Photopost, you can start your own thread and get your relatives/friends their own log in's so they can see. This costs nothing!!

Just need to find pic's that won't scare the kids.

M

Old May 16th 2005, 12:13 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by HMAN
please don't.......banana diaries, YAWN!!!!!!!!
Mon 16th May

Fair play, if that's what you think. I have often thought about logging in under a different name and trolling around a bit, ruffling a few feathers, but when it came down to it, it just didn't feel right.

If you are a regular, then be honest about it.

Thankyou for taking the trouble to register just to (so far) only post on the diary, your comments will be taken into consideration and the next update I will dedicate just to you. 4 updates and 1,300 hits, mmmm if that's boring I'll take it.

Changing the subject slightly, I have no idea how to set up a blogger and hadn't realised this was an alternative. Yes family and friends from the UK tune in regularly and my MIL was very pleased that this was up and running again (for a short while). Warren tunes in too when he's away! and the site moderators have plans for the 78 page 80,000 hits Banana Diaries 1 - so watch this space. Somewhere in all the boring drivel, there will be some useful info.

Anyaway, had to answer to my critic as he/she had taken the time and trouble to furnish me with their comprehensive evaluation.

See you later

Jill

Old May 16th 2005, 2:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hman of few words.
Hman of diminutive brain.
Hman of open gob.
Yet nothing intelligible spews forth.
You've had your yawn.
Excitement over.
Go back to sleep.
Your fairies await you.
Old May 16th 2005, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hman of few words.
Hman of diminutive brain.
Hman of open gob.
Yet nothing intelligible spews forth.
You've had your yawn.
Excitement over.
Go back to sleep.
Your fairies await you.

EH YOU - GET BACK TO WORK YOU SLACKER!!!!
Old May 16th 2005, 4:53 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
EH YOU - GET BACK TO WORK YOU SLACKER!!!!

Busted......... Again.
Old May 16th 2005, 7:34 am
Go Banana's !!

The diary got accused being boring - so nothing about me today, just some useful info if you are thinking of building - cut and pasted from a previous post incase you missed it:

You can build on any sound piece of land which is for sale. The best is level block, with no need for retaining walls which puts the groundworks price up. Other factors to consider are, is power easily accessible? water? gas?. What is the land made from? What cost allocation does the builder allow for this ? If you have a good builder he will give enough allowance, but you can be stung, read on:

We had a great level sandy block (like most of WA LOL), but a member of our family thought they had the same. Unfortunatley for them they had a limestone seam running under it and it put their groundworks price up by $35K !!!!

Pick a builder that you have watched construct a house. The times can vary enormously from 9 months to 2 years plus. I watched three houses go up by our builder before we decided. try and pick someone who doesn't over stretch themselves, some of the ones here just leave you in a queue.

A big factor in the wait is how 'young' your land release is. We bought a block in an established area which had been sat on for investment. We didn't pay over the odds for it and it mean't we had the title deeds almost immediately. Most new block don't have the titles released for months and I have just heard of one lady who has been waiting for 18 months !! So check it out, may be different in your State.

However with a new block you usually get fencing, reticulation and your front garden done if you are lucky. So it depends on what you want and what you are prepared to wait for. Of course how much money you have to spend and whether you have soemwhere to live in the meantime is a big issue to consider.

I bought our block before Warren was even here, but before I signed anything I got two builders (who are family) to check out the block, I checked land plans for the previous use of the land and asked around. I even got the project builder to come out and see it, before I signed a thing.

It's not easy, but if you get yourself organised, ask as many questions as you can think of and don't sign anything until you know exactly what the price is, then it can be emmense fun. However knowing what the price is can be the tricky part!!

With a good builder the Sales guy will draw up provisional plans and let you change them as many times as you like. If they ask for deposits before then, tell 'em to get stuffed. Our Sales guy was great and we have a very good relationship, even though I changed the plans 7 times.

I then asked for a list of all their suppliers for fixtures and fittings and went to check them out, some companies won't let you do this. It was invaluable !! because what their trick is, is to get you to the pre-start meeting and you end up chosing everything from a brochure or small sample. You then have no idea of the quality, the feel, the look and how light effects the clour scheme you have chosen.

When we were totally ready, then we signed. This however does not fix the price ! You can get some dodgy ones out there, read the contract, sideways, back to front, recite it backwards.

What ever the initial build cost is add an extra $50K at least - BUT don't guess at this, go round and get quotes (I'll explain that later). We have added $100K to the original price, but we knew this and we are having a pool and the garden landscaped and everything finished before we move in - hopefully !!!!

You should expect to pay extra for:
Power points (there is NEVER enough)
Outside power point
Skirting
Coving
Bricking up any open plan areas
Extra phone points (you'll need at least two remember for the Net !!)
Tiling - they charge extra for the way it's laid and if you have borders
Some decorating - walls may not be included
3 phase electrics (if you want a reverse cycle aircon hot and cold)
Extra wiring for cinema stuff (if you want one of course)
Extra paving - usually only include your drive (not the crossover) and one path.
And any other extras like, plumbing to a fridge (ice maker), making rooms bigger, adding cupboards, the list goes on and on...........

And our builder has alot more than most included.

Now on top of that you must get yourself quotes for the following: (It's no good buliding the house of your dreams and you find your can't afford to put flooring in)

Carpets - bedrooms?
Flooring in living areas (wet areas should be included)
Light points (as power points)
Air con
Garden
Reticulation
Paving
Alarm
Lights (they leave you lovely plastic cones)
Fencing if not included.
Blinds a must
Curtains, optional
Security fly screens
Extra furniture - you'll need it believe me.

GET THREE QUOTES FOR EVERYTHING AND BARTER

Beware you can always be stung if contractors get a pay rise. Also keep an eye on what tradesmen are in demand. At the moment, it's pretty much evryone, but the problem areas in WA are brickies, roofers and tilers! the main ones really.

Having said all this we signed our contract and two weeks later our slab went down, 3 weeks after our bricks where delivered (I had pre-booked a slot) We had brickies on site a week later and apart from a 5 week delay 'cos our roofer broke his leg, we have been delighted with our build and are looking to be in end June, beginning July. (9 month build)

I have an excellent relationship with our Site Manager and we speak daily. I don't pester him, we just a have an honest and professional manner of dealing with each other, and a little banter. Our lock up is in two weeks and the plastering is finished next week. They have been great as we are having af ew extras which are not part of the build and they have been fine about letting them on site, some are not.

I hope this helps - I am now off to write my book !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warren has arrived safe and sound in Israel BTW.

Jill

Old May 16th 2005, 7:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Busted......... Again.
Tis really sad Bordy.

I can't even have a browse while eating me sandwiches at work without being watched by the EYE.

Shall have to change my identity perhaps.

And aint you supposed to be sleeping ?
Old May 16th 2005, 10:25 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
The diary got accused being boring - so nothing about me today, just some useful info if you are thinking of building - cut and pasted from a previous post incase you missed it:

You can build on any sound piece of land which is for sale. The best is level block, with no need for retaining walls which puts the groundworks price up. Other factors to consider are, is power easily accessible? water? gas?. What is the land made from? What cost allocation does the builder allow for this ? If you have a good builder he will give enough allowance, but you can be stung, read on:

We had a great level sandy block (like most of WA LOL), but a member of our family thought they had the same. Unfortunatley for them they had a limestone seam running under it and it put their groundworks price up by $35K !!!!

Pick a builder that you have watched construct a house. The times can vary enormously from 9 months to 2 years plus. I watched three houses go up by our builder before we decided. try and pick someone who doesn't over stretch themselves, some of the ones here just leave you in a queue.

A big factor in the wait is how 'young' your land release is. We bought a block in an established area which had been sat on for investment. We didn't pay over the odds for it and it mean't we had the title deeds almost immediately. Most new block don't have the titles released for months and I have just heard of one lady who has been waiting for 18 months !! So check it out, may be different in your State.

However with a new block you usually get fencing, reticulation and your front garden done if you are lucky. So it depends on what you want and what you are prepared to wait for. Of course how much money you have to spend and whether you have soemwhere to live in the meantime is a big issue to consider.

I bought our block before Warren was even here, but before I signed anything I got two builders (who are family) to check out the block, I checked land plans for the previous use of the land and asked around. I even got the project builder to come out and see it, before I signed a thing.

It's not easy, but if you get yourself organised, ask as many questions as you can think of and don't sign anything until you know exactly what the price is, then it can be emmense fun. However knowing what the price is can be the tricky part!!

With a good builder the Sales guy will draw up provisional plans and let you change them as many times as you like. If they ask for deposits before then, tell 'em to get stuffed. Our Sales guy was great and we have a very good relationship, even though I changed the plans 7 times.

I then asked for a list of all their suppliers for fixtures and fittings and went to check them out, some companies won't let you do this. It was invaluable !! because what their trick is, is to get you to the pre-start meeting and you end up chosing everything from a brochure or small sample. You then have no idea of the quality, the feel, the look and how light effects the clour scheme you have chosen.

When we were totally ready, then we signed. This however does not fix the price ! You can get some dodgy ones out there, read the contract, sideways, back to front, recite it backwards.

What ever the initial build cost is add an extra $50K at least - BUT don't guess at this, go round and get quotes (I'll explain that later). We have added $100K to the original price, but we knew this and we are having a pool and the garden landscaped and everything finished before we move in - hopefully !!!!

You should expect to pay extra for:
Power points (there is NEVER enough)
Outside power point
Skirting
Coving
Bricking up any open plan areas
Extra phone points (you'll need at least two remember for the Net !!)
Tiling - they charge extra for the way it's laid and if you have borders
Some decorating - walls may not be included
3 phase electrics (if you want a reverse cycle aircon hot and cold)
Extra wiring for cinema stuff (if you want one of course)
Extra paving - usually only include your drive (not the crossover) and one path.
And any other extras like, plumbing to a fridge (ice maker), making rooms bigger, adding cupboards, the list goes on and on...........

And our builder has alot more than most included.

Now on top of that you must get yourself quotes for the following: (It's no good buliding the house of your dreams and you find your can't afford to put flooring in)

Carpets - bedrooms?
Flooring in living areas (wet areas should be included)
Light points (as power points)
Air con
Garden
Reticulation
Paving
Alarm
Lights (they leave you lovely plastic cones)
Fencing if not included.
Blinds a must
Curtains, optional
Security fly screens
Extra furniture - you'll need it believe me.

GET THREE QUOTES FOR EVERYTHING AND BARTER

Beware you can always be stung if contractors get a pay rise. Also keep an eye on what tradesmen are in demand. At the moment, it's pretty much evryone, but the problem areas in WA are brickies, roofers and tilers! the main ones really.

Having said all this we signed our contract and two weeks later our slab went down, 3 weeks after our bricks where delivered (I had pre-booked a slot) We had brickies on site a week later and apart from a 5 week delay 'cos our roofer broke his leg, we have been delighted with our build and are looking to be in end June, beginning July. (9 month build)

I have an excellent relationship with our Site Manager and we speak daily. I don't pester him, we just a have an honest and professional manner of dealing with each other, and a little banter. Our lock up is in two weeks and the plastering is finished next week. They have been great as we are having af ew extras which are not part of the build and they have been fine about letting them on site, some are not.

I hope this helps - I am now off to write my book !!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warren has arrived safe and sound in Israel BTW.

Jill

thanks for the above info Jill, as someone who is (hopefully) going to Perth in the nearish future, and are hoping to build our own house, this is just the sort of thing I need to put in my file of "things I relly need to keep".

Your'e a star!! Keep on boring us I say, after all 1 person out of all those who read can't possibly be wrong can he?

Shirley
Old May 16th 2005, 5:40 pm
Merlot

Jill, they haven't come back so their voice is not worth jot!

M

Old May 17th 2005, 1:15 pm
Go Banana's !!

Smile Re: Banana Diaries 2 - The Return To Planet Jill

Tuesday 17th May

You know when someone says something nasty and you tell yourself you're not bothered, but it does actually bother you more than it should and that person is an insignificant little oik, well that's how I have felt the last few days.

It's even more stupid that the person is here on this site and something in the back of my mind tells me that I know them, may have even met them, makes you damn paranoid. It shouldn't hurt but it does, as if this person knows me then they are a gutless, low life, nasty individual. You are going to meet some nutters along the way, me more than most, but why do people have to be nasty into the bargain? What the hell have I done to deserve it? Anyway rant over - move on and for those of you who are interested then read on, if not s#d off.

Warren was home on Saturday for a grand total of 14 hours. He snook into the house at 1am Saturday morning and left again at 2 pm. Inbetween that time it was total madness!! We got up at 8am had breakfast, unpacked his bag, did two loads of washing and ironing and re-packed (that interesting bit was just for you Hman). Then dashed out so he could look at the plot, got a flooring quote, came back, ate lunch, walked the dog, felt ill and then spun Warren round to get him back on the 2pm flight to Israel, which got in at 1am Israel time on Monday :scared:

Poor guy has landed himself a stinking cold, with all the aircon changes probably, but says he's having a fantastic time learning all about the business.

He's away for a total of 3 weeks and from Israel goes straight to Holland. Inbetwen that he is picking up the Holy Grail for me, my M&S parcel!!

I will get him to write down his thoughts of the UK on his return, because I for one am facinated what he thinks when he touches down. It is so soon to be going back for him, as he has only been here since October, for me it's nearly a year!!! I will bombard him with questions, but I know the answers before I ask. Warren simply adores Perth, I'm close behind, but he doesn't have the little blips like I do, I don't think many of the men do, they don't understand shopping for a start. They are programmed differently, thank God !! Geeze we'd never have any money LOL.

Look guys I'm actually enjoying this brain dump, so I hope you don't mind, once I get into it I find it hard to stop. Speaking of which - my swimming lessons they have hit somewhat of a brick wall. My breathing is the main problem, exhaling is a piece of cake, but I have great difficulty taking a breath - that goes for when I am talking too Any tips would be greatly appreciated, I thought I was good at multi tasking until I had to remember, to breath, kick and use my arms, not a pretty sight, but I'll keep trying I'm determined to do the diving course, so I can dive with Warren.

I'm trying to keep my chin up while the man is away and being THIS busy is helping, but darling hurry up and get back safe and well I miss you heaps

On a lighter note the house is moving on a pace. A very good friend of ours is erecting the fence today and tomorrow and the pool is being dug out tomorrow too. It arrives by crane on Thursday, so I'll let you all know how that goes, as I have said, I have been ordered to take pics of the crane!!

I haven't said this for a while, but all those of you waiting, this move is a fantastic opportunity for you to meet the most fantastic people and share with your family some fantastic adventures. I have a fantastic group of friends, they know who they are and they are true friends now, not just people I know. I would do anything for anyone of them and I feel well and truely blessed.

In addition to this I am really starting to intergrating myself into life here. Perth people are so very friendly, Betty Swallox to what anyone else tells you, if you talk to them they talk back, Perth is not an Alien Planet, although charred parts of Yanchep do look like the moon. At first I tried to make friends with everyone, but that got really crazy, just take it steady. I have learned so much about myself and have done things I would never have had the guts to do in the UK and I thought I was an amazing person before (joke ok).

Tuesday's are not good days in the Banana house, so my little girl informed me today, as all the bad things happen - cut fingers, cracked windscreens and today was no exeption. Today we had one of those days dog owners dread, well Mrs Bucket dreads anyway. Smudge the little darling decided that a nice accessory to his fur would be his business still attached as he came in from outside. Then he decided he wanted to shuffle back and step in it, this was all 5 mins before horse riding- arhhhggg.........why me. It was quite a comedy moment if it wasn't such bad timing. Amazing how quick you can bath a dog and trim it's erhm.........

Imogen has been a delight to be around. She cracks me up everyday and we have some hilarious conversations to and from school. I'm finding that she is starting to have conversations with me more on my level, which in itself is a worry LOL. She understands sarcasm brilliantly and often turns around comments on me, rolling her eyes at her head case mother.

A childs view on the world is so literal - take yesterday for example. I asked her if she ever had spelling tests at school, as she comes home with a list to practise every night. She replied that she didn't. So I asked her why on earth she had spellings to do then and her reply was "So I can learn to spell words Mummy". From a child, ask a stupid question, get a literal answer. Planet Jill though will go down as a classic.

I love sitting with her and watching movies as we discuss them all the way through, unless we are at the cinema! We went to see Hitchikers Guide to The Galaxy on Saturday night and to my utter amazement, she loved it. I took a chance 'cos I really wanted to see it, but she really loved it and has been coming out with film related jokes since Saturday - especially the bit with the metal slapper things on the planet where you couldn't have an idea - need to see the film guys to understand - must - really daft. All you die hard fans will know what the planet is called, but I can't for the life of me remember. I need a drink......................................

Suppose I'd better go now, as I have been sitting on here for an hour and a half. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sat, last count 19 cackling women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarra for now
Jill

Old May 17th 2005, 1:45 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

What a cheeky person!

I find your stories really interesting Go Bananas, and can relate to the Newcastle/metrocentre with drawl as I live in the North East. The only difference is, I'm not in Perth yet.....

Keep the good work up, and ignore ignorant a-holes like HMAN
Old May 17th 2005, 2:01 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Anyway rant over - move on and for those of you who are interested then read on, if not s#d off.
Well put!

I really enjoy the diaries as I know so many others do.
Old May 17th 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Dont read them then!!!!!! AND in Banana's words s*d off!!!!

SOME OF US ENJOY THEM!!!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mitchell; May 17th 2005 at 2:11 pm.
Old May 17th 2005, 2:09 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
More likely someone that just does not enjoy the diaries and is a regular poster under a different name.
More like someone who hasn't read them and is just being an awkward t**t

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.