Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bamboo / weapons declaration

Bamboo / weapons declaration

Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bamboo / weapons declaration

Not sure if anyone will know the answer - but we use a number of weapons in our martial arts - most of which are either shaped wood or composite material. We have 2 bo's; a few nunchucks, set of kama and 2 sets of escrima.

With the wood / composite weapons - are these likely to be an issue for customs? We are both black belts, and I also instruct.

On top of that, the escrima are made from shaped and treated bamboo - all knots are burnt off. Will these require additional treatment if shipped, as the added expense would probably make them not worth bringing (although I haven't looked at the cost of replacing them yet)

I know it's not a usual request but if anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo / weapons declaration

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure if anyone will know the answer - but we use a number of weapons in our martial arts - most of which are either shaped wood or composite material. We have 2 bo's; a few nunchucks, set of kama and 2 sets of escrima.

With the wood / composite weapons - are these likely to be an issue for customs? We are both black belts, and I also instruct.

On top of that, the escrima are made from shaped and treated bamboo - all knots are burnt off. Will these require additional treatment if shipped, as the added expense would probably make them not worth bringing (although I haven't looked at the cost of replacing them yet)

I know it's not a usual request but if anyone can offer any advice it would be appreciated

Thanks
I think you might have trouble with the weapons(specifically nunchucks), let alone the wood. Might pay to have a read of this http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...dedWeapons.pdf and contact Customs for information. I just found this link from a Kung Fu Assn that explains abit further http://www.akwf.com/prohibited_weapons.php. I guess if the other bamboo items are legal here, Customs will most likely insist on zapping them.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 18th 2013 at 10:10 am.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:32 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh, be careful sparkles - customs are red hot in Australia. If they can't chuck it, they'll spray it and charge you an arm and a leg for the privilege! Mind you, I'm all for keeping pests and diseases out of Oz. But I did wonder after my last trip to Malaysia why they confiscated all my sealed, packaged Nescafe 3 in 1s, when I found exactly the same thing in a local Asian shop in Perth 2 days later! Must have been short of coffee in the canteen.....

I was even more miffed when a carton of cigarettes was taken off me at Ho Chi Minh City airport (people who want to tell me off for smoking can put a sock in it). Customs there are known to be a bit - shall we say - lenient with the truth. They told me I wasn't allowed to leave Vietnam with more than one packet of cigarettes and insisted I had to give them the rest to be destroyed. So I opened the carton, put one packet in my handbag, opened all the other packets and broke every cigarette into little pieces into a plastic bag, then handed the bag over with a big smile.

Oh my God, I thought they were going to shoot me, they were that wild!!

Last edited by Alfresco; May 2nd 2013 at 7:19 pm. Reason: Fix quote
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
As The Bloke says, some of them could be an issue. Have a read of the stuff on importing weapons and then I would get in touch with Customs with a list of what you want to bring. They are usually pretty easy to communicate with and its a lot better than getting them here only to have them confiscated on arrival.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I think you might have trouble with the weapons(specifically nunchucks), let alone the wood. Might pay to have a read of this http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...dedWeapons.pdf and contact Customs for information. I just found this link from a Kung Fu Assn that explains abit further http://www.akwf.com/prohibited_weapons.php. I guess if the other bamboo items are legal here, Customs will most likely insist on zapping them.
Thanks - I'll have a look at the links now, and then maybe take Polly's advice and contact Customs. The removals guy who gave me the quote thought they were okay - but then after reading the forms for declaring everything thought it was better to ask more.

Thanks for the replies
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I'll have a look at the links now, and then maybe take Polly's advice and contact Customs. The removals guy who gave me the quote thought they were okay - but then after reading the forms for declaring everything thought it was better to ask more.

Thanks for the replies
Some of the removals/shipping guys mean well, but aren't always accurate - like those who say no food is allowed in, which is highly inaccurate. Customs (AQIS) will have the final say, so better safe than sorry
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of the removals/shipping guys mean well, but aren't always accurate - like those who say no food is allowed in, which is highly inaccurate. Customs (AQIS) will have the final say, so better safe than sorry
I've just sent e-mails to both customs and SAPOL, but the info seems to suggest that the only restricted items in terms of weapons will be the nunchucks. Bo, Kama and Escrima are all listed as unresticted but doesn't list construction types. Guess I'll have to do a bit more research while I wait for replies.

Wish I'd have thought of it earlier.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:29 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Leave your weapons behind,there is no violence in Aus
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy

That's okay then - I'm not a violent person
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:26 am

As an update - for customs purposes, I had to obtain an exemption certificate to bring the nunchukas and kama - finally issued by SAPOL firearms branch yesterday (the exemption was allowed due to our involvement in martial arts). Fortunately customs were aware that I was trying to obtain the certificate and were waiting for it, and they haven't inspected the container yet

Just have to see if everything makes it past AQIS now
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
My son's BB gun arrived safe and sound. Beware BB.