Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

Old Jul 31st 2015, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future
Default Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

Hi all,
Have done a few searches and see various threads on Ballarat in general, so I won't go over old ground re weather etc., though I will say the cold would be a welcome change after the Perth summers.
Main reason for our move is schools (as always) .....becoming too much $$ for three here. Getting towards $75K p/a. It doesn't allow for getting out of Perth, which for us is what makes us appreciate it. With housing costs and school fees we can't afford to leave
Being from London I like the idea of being an hour away from Melbourne and having the proximity to Sydney and Brisbane. But husband is from the country so we fancy a more rural option.
Had never considered Ballarat until I started researching schools and saw how well Clarendon College is doing, plus it's got some history about it which appeals. We're looking for best school + affordable housing, which the Western Suburbs of Perth don't offer.
We'll go over shortly to have a scout but do need to make a fairly quick decision so where better to ask for some thoughts than here.
I know league tables don't tell the full story, but when you see a school in rural Victoria outranking all but one in WA (which is selective anyway) it makes you evaluate the affordability.
Not sure if there's a real question in this thread, but I suppose I'm keen on any thoughts on top schools in Vic that also have affordable housing.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Cosmo Knott; Jul 31st 2015 at 1:59 am.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 10:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

Originally Posted by Cosmo Knott
Hi all,
Have done a few searches and see various threads on Ballarat in general, so I won't go over old ground re weather etc., though I will say the cold would be a welcome change after the Perth summers.
Main reason for our move is schools (as always) .....becoming too much $$ for three here. Getting towards $75K p/a. It doesn't allow for getting out of Perth, which for us is what makes us appreciate it. With housing costs and school fees we can't afford to leave
Being from London I like the idea of being an hour away from Melbourne and having the proximity to Sydney and Brisbane. But husband is from the country so we fancy a more rural option.
Had never considered Ballarat until I started researching schools and saw how well Clarendon College is doing, plus it's got some history about it which appeals. We're looking for best school + affordable housing, which the Western Suburbs of Perth don't offer.
We'll go over shortly to have a scout but do need to make a fairly quick decision so where better to ask for some thoughts than here.
I know league tables don't tell the full story, but when you see a school in rural Victoria outranking all but one in WA (which is selective anyway) it makes you evaluate the affordability.
Not sure if there's a real question in this thread, but I suppose I'm keen on any thoughts on top schools in Vic that also have affordable housing.
Thanks in advance
Hi

You are proposing moving to Ballarat because the private schools are better than in Perth?

You are spending $75k/year on private schooling but you want somewhere with affordable housing?

Have you thought of moving somewhere where the housing is more expensive but the public schools are better? They may even be better than private schools in Ballarat? $75k/year mortgage buys a very nice area with fantastic public schools.

BB
Old Jul 31st 2015, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Exod-us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

How funny. I was looking for a thread on boarding schools and stumbled across this one. We moved to a nice area with expensive housing in country WA and I still don't think the local public school comes near to the private ones. Didn't like the fact that private schools are so religious and are non selective. $75K. Pah! Seriously considering boarding school in the UK and kissing goodbye to $65K for each child. I have 4. Then I have to ask what am I doing here........
Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi

You are proposing moving to Ballarat because the private schools are better than in Perth?

You are spending $75k/year on private schooling but you want somewhere with affordable housing?

Have you thought of moving somewhere where the housing is more expensive but the public schools are better? They may even be better than private schools in Ballarat? $75k/year mortgage buys a very nice area with fantastic public schools.

BB
Old Jul 31st 2015, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, friends of ours were living in Melbourne and their son was attending a well known private school. He is a highly intelligent boy but a bit 'geeky' as well as sporty but he wasn't very happy in this school. They moved to Ballarat a year ago (father is a GP so work was readily available) and the boy started attending Clarendon College. They bought a hobby farm out Learmonth way and last time we saw them a few months ago they said the boy is 'absolutely thriving at Clarendon College' and is a very happy chappy. They couldn't speak more highly of the school.

We had 5 very happy years in Bendigo and much of what we enjoyed there applies also to Ballarat (both being former gold mining towns). Here's a Ballarat piccie (a successful Scottish miner paid to have a large statue of William Wallace erected in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens - conservatory in the background where they hold the renowed Ballarat Begonia Festival).

Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi

BB
Yes I was sort of asking that (in a round about way!) Don't know Melbourne at all though. Not keen in putting money into property in WA at the mo - it's not good here at all. Any suggestions? Thanks v much
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Exod-us
How funny. I was looking for a thread on boarding schools and stumbled across this one. We moved to a nice area with expensive housing in country WA and I still don't think the local public school comes near to the private ones. Didn't like the fact that private schools are so religious and are non selective. $75K. Pah! Seriously considering boarding school in the UK and kissing goodbye to $65K for each child. I have 4. Then I have to ask what am I doing here........
Bunbury Cathedral Grammar looks ok, but for us moving down that way makes us feel even more remote. Still an option though. It does pretty well and seems to strike a nice balance (know more about that school) but the area has so much property for sale it could indicate people are jumping ship and offloading their stock asap.
In Perth metro 2000 more houses for sale than this time last year
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzTennis
FWIW, friends of ours were living in Melbourne and their son was attending a well known private school. He is a highly intelligent boy but a bit 'geeky' as well as sporty but he wasn't very happy in this school. They moved to Ballarat a year ago (father is a GP so work was readily available) and the boy started attending Clarendon College. They bought a hobby farm out Learmonth way and last time we saw them a few months ago they said the boy is 'absolutely thriving at Clarendon College' and is a very happy chappy. They couldn't speak more highly of the school.

We had 5 very happy years in Bendigo and much of what we enjoyed there applies also to Ballarat (both being former gold mining towns). Here's a Ballarat piccie (a successful Scottish miner paid to have a large statue of William Wallace erected in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens - conservatory in the background where they hold the renowed Ballarat Begonia Festival).

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...pswf3q6lxe.jpg
Oh thank you! What a lovely post and so encouraging!! Don't suppose it's possible to find out any more from them re potential suburbs (we would want to be nearish the school to give the kids some level of independence as they get older)
Old Aug 1st 2015, 1:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exod-us
Didn't like the fact that private schools are so religious and are non selective. $75K.
I like the fact that my son's private school has a strong religious, Anglican, Judaeo-Christian bias and that it is non-selective

Never understood the British system of selecting children on the basis of one exam

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 1st 2015 at 2:36 am.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like the fact that my son'r school private has a strong religious, Anglican, Judaeo-Christian bias and that it is non-selective

Never understood the British system of selecting children on the basis of one exam
Yes quite agree. My eldest son did the Scholarship exam for his school even though we knew there was a very slim chance he'd be anywhere near academic enough. It was great that he even wanted to give it a go and then did 3 and half hours and came out very zen. Yes it cost us $120 but worth it to see him not being a bag of nerves and under absolutely no pressure from us. In fact we had tried to dissuade him, but the school encouraged him (he's 11), so we applied about 3 days beforehand!

Thank you for your response
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you! What a lovely post and so encouraging!! Don't suppose it's possible to find out any more from them re potential suburbs (we would want to be nearish the school to give the kids some level of independence as they get older)
Thanks, if you wish to be near the College and want the best location in Ballarat then look no further than on or near Lake Wendouree with the best and most expensive being Wendouree itself. We are not talking Melbourne or Perth prices for very good property though! Good luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...bs_of_Ballarat
Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, if you wish to be near the College and want the best location in Ballarat then look no further than on or near Lake Wendouree with the best and most expensive being Wendouree itself. We are not talking Melbourne or Perth prices for very good property though! Good luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...bs_of_Ballarat
Thank you so much - that's where we've been concentrating our search. Heading over in a week or so to make a final decision
Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you so much - that's where we've been concentrating our search. Heading over in a week or so to make a final decision
Good luck. Out of interest I just did a Google on 'Wendouree property for sale' and a lot came up in Wendouree and adjoining suburbs. There's some serious real estate on and near the lake and some for a more modest budget. You'll notice how busy the road around the lake is/can get, especially in warmer weather so maybe a house in a leafy, quiet street near the lake but with water views might be suitable?
Old Aug 1st 2015, 10:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ballarat Private Schools (Clarendon) - we're moving (we think!?)

Yes I was sort of asking that (in a round about way!) Don't know Melbourne at all though. Not keen in putting money into property in WA at the mo - it's not good here at all. Any suggestions? Thanks v much
Well one of the areas that people bust a gut to live in as the state schools are so good is McKinnon. I'm sure there are other areas too, that just happens to be one I know of.

BB
Old Aug 1st 2015, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ballarat is good if you can find work. The weather always befuddles me - very cold, very hot and not when you expect it to be either.

Some of my husband's relatives sent their kids to Clarendon and were very happy, others sent theirs to Grammar and were very happy with that too. If they're rowers they'll enjoy it (assume Wendouree is full now?!)

Nowhere is far from anywhere in Ballarat really so it all depends if leafy old or new builds or acreage float your boat. It's one of those mixed places - half and half bogan/moneyed. The kids probably won't stay in town once they've done with school, it's not that brilliant for young adults, they tend to drift into the big smoke.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck. Out of interest I just did a Google on 'Wendouree property for sale' and a lot came up in Wendouree and adjoining suburbs. There's some serious real estate on and near the lake and some for a more modest budget. You'll notice how busy the road around the lake is/can get, especially in warmer weather so maybe a house in a leafy, quiet street near the lake but with water views might be suitable?
Thank you again - all very helpful. Interesting place that's for sure........such a wide range in price. Acreage for a bargain then heritage properties in 1/4 acre block in the town centre - wow!!! Then 15 mins out of town and you have 25 acres with all sorts for the same if not less. These things don't befuddle me. Having several decent schools in this area does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.