bak account

Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

scottstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Question bak account

Is it worth opening an account in oz while we are still in the UK ? any advise
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:51 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bak account

Originally Posted by scottstevens
Do a search and you'll find lots of answers!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:08 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing is you can open accounts one line but can not withdraw from them until you go to the bank in person and give them an oz address. Until then you can put money in but can't take it out.
At least thats my understanding
Might be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:14 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
The only thing is you can open accounts one line but can not withdraw from them until you go to the bank in person and give them an oz address.
One line? maybe online... you're right baout what you said.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of opening 1 with Westpac, It will make things easier for my pension to be paid direct into. Still in the Uk at the moment but I think it will make things easier when we eventually get to Perth and the Bank will see that there is money being paid in regularly, Possibly help with the credit scoring when we get back into the property market.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:18 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skywalker
One line? maybe online... you're right baout what you said.
sorry online, baout or about?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:23 pm
Gold Member

sorry online, baout or about?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Default Re: bank account

thanks for info

The only thing is you can open accounts one line but can not withdraw from them until you go to the bank in person and give them an oz address. Until then you can put money in but can't take it out.
At least thats my understanding
Might be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Re: bak account

I have just opened one with Commonwealth Bank and it was very easy, one simple application form (which you can print off from the website) with a few certified Docs and a couple of bills, opens you an a/c in the UK and a a/c in Australia, it is actually called a migrant Bank a/c and the UK a/c will be shut down after 2 years automatically. I was very impressed, we have not even had to hand over any money to open the a/c and if you are transferring more than £30,000.00 in one go, there are very little charges compared to the other a/c's that I looked into.

The website is http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/home/

Simone
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Cheers will check it out tomorrow at work
thank for the info

Originally Posted by Simoned1
I have just opened one with Commonwealth Bank and it was very easy, one simple application form (which you can print off from the website) with a few certified Docs and a couple of bills, opens you an a/c in the UK and a a/c in Australia, it is actually called a migrant Bank a/c and the UK a/c will be shut down after 2 years automatically. I was very impressed, we have not even had to hand over any money to open the a/c and if you are transferring more than £30,000.00 in one go, there are very little charges compared to the other a/c's that I looked into.

The website is http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/home/

Simone
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:25 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

We opened an account with The Commonwealth Bank - we took a trip to London to do it but you can do it via the post but we didn't want to mess about getting certified copies of ID documents. We have also set up an account with Moneycorp, so when the time comes to transfer the money accross we can see who between the Comm Bankand Moneycorp is offering the best rate. If we decide to go with Moneycorp (Their rates always seem to be higher but you can play them off against each other) they can transfer direct to your Commonwealth Bank account anyway, so the Cards and chequebook will be availaple when you arrive in Oz. Check out www.moneycorp.com. Also check out HIFX too.