Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bah Humbug! Christmas comes but once a year.....

Bah Humbug! Christmas comes but once a year.....

Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:57 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Bah Humbug! Christmas comes but once a year.....

Okay, bit of a rant here, sorry -

Haven't been to the supermarket since we got back from hols on Sunday, so dragged myself off to Tesco today to get it out the way, only to be confronted by Christmas stuff!!!! Decorations, cards, food - the lot.

For one scary moment, the thought crossed my mind that I had, infact, been abducted by aliens and lost a month, but I checked the date on the paper, and no, it's definitely only the 6th of October. So, feeling abit aggrieved about having Xmas forced down my throat while it's still almost THREE months away, I went and asked Customer Services why they have the stuff in so early, only to be told ' it's what our customers want!' Huh! Well, not this bloody customer, that's for sure.

It's ONLY the 6th of October, for goodness sake! I swear to God it gets earlier every year that supermarkets start selling Christmas stuff. Am I the only person who thinks this is just ridiculous (and don't say yes!)

Please, please, please (to those already in Oz) please reassure me that it's not the same over there!

Nicky (Bah! Humbug)

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Oct 6th 2005 at 5:01 pm. Reason: wrong date! Have been abducted by aliens!!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 4:59 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bah Humbug! Christmas comes but once a year.....

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave

Haven't been to the supermarket since we got back from hols on Sunday, so dragged myself off to Tesco today to get it out the way, only to be confronted by Christmas stuff!!!! Decorations, cards, food - the lot.

For one scary moment, the thought crossed my mind that I had, infact, been abducted by aliens and lost a month, but I checked the date on the paper, and no, it's definitely only the 7th of October. So, feeling abit aggrieved about having Xmas forced down my throat while it's still almost THREE months away, I went and asked Customer Services why they have the stuff in so early, only to be told ' it's what our customers want!' Huh! Well, not this bloody customer, that's for sure.

It's ONLY the 7th of October, for goodness sake! I swear to God it gets earlier every year that supermarkets start selling Christmas stuff. Am I the only person who thinks this is just ridiculous (and don't say yes!)

Please, please, please (to those already in Oz) please reassure me that it's not the same over there!

Nicky (Bah! Humbug)
Am just beggining to wonder??? have heard things are different 'oop North' but didn't realise they were a day in front
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

For one scary moment, the thought crossed my mind that I had, infact, been abducted by aliens and lost a month, but I checked the date on the paper, and no, it's definitely only the 7th of October. So, feeling abit aggrieved about having Xmas forced down my throat while it's still almost THREE months away, I went and asked Customer Services why they have the stuff in so early, only to be told ' it's what our customers want!' Huh! Well, not this bloody customer, that's for sure.

It's ONLY the 7th of October, for goodness sake! I swear to God it gets earlier every year that supermarkets start selling Christmas stuff. Am I the only person who thinks this is just ridiculous (and don't say yes!)

Nicky (Bah! Humbug)

Hi Nicky

Totally agree, its so early now that by the time crimbo comes your sick of it already.

I'm sure someone has posted about this before and it is as bad in aus???

Some chavs on my street still have not taken down there outside lights from last year

BAH HUMBUG, that said I'm going to try to get into the spirit of things as will be last in UK for a while. Apparently this winter is going to be really cold, wonder what the odds are on a white christmas??
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:02 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
Am just beggining to wonder??? have heard things are different 'oop North' but didn't realise they were a day in front
LOL! Maybe I have been abducted by aliens after all!!! Just checked my watch and it definately says the 7th!!!

Nicky
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alan and sam

Ohh yeah I never noticed that, its still 6th in Derby
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:49 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Maybe I have been abducted by aliens after all!!! Just checked my watch and it definately says the 7th!!!

Nicky
:scared: please tell me what jewellers sell watches in Oz time already!!!!! handy for when your about to go, you can adjust and not suffer jet lag, (although you may get some funny looks from you neighbours when your up all night and asleep all day)
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

They were putting there Xmas decorations out in our local Myers on 30th Sept.

Bring it on.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:00 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

For one scary moment, the thought crossed my mind that I had, infact, been abducted by aliens and lost a month, but I checked the date on the paper, and no, it's definitely only the 6th of October. So, feeling abit aggrieved about having Xmas forced down my throat while it's still almost THREE months away, I went and asked Customer Services why they have the stuff in so early, only to be told ' it's what our customers want!' Huh! Well, not this bloody customer, that's for sure.

It's ONLY the 6th of October, for goodness sake! I swear to God it gets earlier every year that supermarkets start selling Christmas stuff. Am I the only person who thinks this is just ridiculous (and don't say yes!)

Nicky (Bah! Humbug)
We should think ourselves lucky, it was even worse in New Jersey when I was growing up!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 10:32 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

I was always grateful I could start my christmas shopping fairly early what with having to send pressies back to the UK and the cut of date for guaranteed delivery being start of december. I have the same deal now back in UK and having to send pressies down under.

But then I LOVE christmas...this year I'll be living in a cottage with an open fire going..cant wait!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:11 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Must admit this year am quite glad it's out early, I've done all my Xmas shopping bar one present and they are all neatly wrapped ready to give.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:15 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally love everything to do with Christmas ... even trying to decipher Nanna's 23 glasses of sherry induced post dinner speech ...

We are normally all rotten and blithering idiots by the time in comes to carve the bird ...

The charades are a bit tiresome tho'

Nicky (Bah! Humbug)
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:17 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE Christmas, the nights drawing in, Halloween then Bonfire Night and you know it wont be long til Xmas Eve......... wrapping up in scarf and gloves when you go Xmas shopping, late night shopping nights...

So, this year's will certainly be very strange!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:24 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by bridiej
I LOVE Christmas, the nights drawing in, Halloween then Bonfire Night and you know it wont be long til Xmas Eve......... wrapping up in scarf and gloves when you go Xmas shopping, late night shopping nights...

So, this year's will certainly be very strange!
I love all this too and certainly the idea of a Christmas in the sun did not appeal. However two years ago we spent Christmas in Durban with my in-laws and it was fantastic - different, yes, but really enjoyable. Shops were just as manic tho'!

Nicky