Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Blues continued

Baggage Blues continued

Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage Blues continued

Originally Posted by wmoore
Maybe it's worth checking out someone like UPS to deliver your 'excess baggage' as boxes or something? I don't think it's too expensive to do. And it might be a lot less stressful knowing you're not gonna have that hassle at check-in.
We did this; one of our suitcases didn't make it to the airport as a friend was supposed to be bringing extra stuff for us. My BIL sent it by DHL - he had to open the case and write a customs declaration, but it then arrived about a week later. I cleared it through customs and they let me off any fees, then I picked it up from DHL, but they probably would have delivered (it was on my way).
It worked out much cheaper than sending it as excess baggage with the flight (not that it was an option for us though!)
ATB, keep calm... it will all work out in the end.
Also, be sure to get it all in writing; we were fine at Heathrow, but had words with the Singapore check in woman, who flatly denied that we were allowed the extra. Without the paperwork we'd have been $tuffed.
Take care
Larissa
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Another update:
I did what you said, Pollyana - I phoned Cathay this morning, and it's definately on their system, they said they'd fax through something, as a written confirmation, but not received it yet. Then I phoned British Airways who flying us from Manc to Heathrow, and they said it would be a problem as they allow 30kg anyway for the flight I'm on!

So apart from a written confirmation, which I'm going to chase up, looks like we got our extra baggage.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Matt/Jenny,
Well done you for getting the allowance. We booked with Flight Centre, went back to them and they said it wasn't there fault and there's nothing they can do as it's non-refundable, we should go back to Cathay! My hands are in the air, I give up, got other things to organise!
Hope the flight is half decent at least!!
Thanks for the excess baggage help others on this thread, will go down that route.

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Thanks for all your messages. To update:

Since I wrote this thread, I kicked up a massive stink at Austravel. They got back to me today, saying that Cathay are going to honour the extra baggage allowance (although strangely have given both me and Matt 10kg extra, rather than just Matt extra 20kg). I have this in writing from my travel agent, but not the airline.

BUT, she also said that she can't guarantee what will happen with our initial flight from Manchester to London! All she could say was that it would be higly unlikely that we would be charged for extra baggage on this domestic flight, but if we were, we could take it to Austravel and they would reimburse us.

So my next point of call is to phone Cathay again, I suppose.... But like you said, jaydee, maybe I should insist this from my travel agent?

We fly in 6 days. Good god.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:22 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JJL family
we seem to be in the same boat ( no tickets have to pick them up when we get there i think they are called E-tickets )

booked our flights with lee's travel and mentioned to them that we were migrating (1 way). had to send off copies of our passports to show we had visa's in them .

hoping we get 40kg's each (does that include children), don't leave till 15th june so will have to get hold of singapore airlines. would'nt like to get to manchester airport and have to give his clothes away

lesley
Hi

I have an email from Singapore Airlines stating that if you have an unstamped PR Visa you are entitled to 40Kg of luggage. If in doubt or worried go to the singapore web site: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...idTopicArea=uk and send them an email. They were very quick with myself, only took a few hours to get a reply.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJL family
hoping we get 40kg's each (does that include children),
No, I can't imagine they'll weigh your kids. Just remember to put airholes in the bags for them to breath.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
No, I can't imagine they'll weigh your kids. Just remember to put airholes in the bags for them to breath.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Cheers,
JTL
Did you just kill another thread JTL
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Did you just kill another thread JTL
Apparently not.

Whats the point of getting up a 4am to do some thread killing, and then you all keep replying.

Stop it!

JTL