Baggage Blues

Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baggage Blues

I'm currently in a slanging match with my travel agent (AusTravel) about our baggage. Every time I speak to them, a different person tells me something different. Matt has a 309 de-facto spouse visa, of which he hasn't used yet. I'm a resident returning so I get 20kg, but the problem is with Matt, some are saying he can have 40kg (because he has a migration visa, others say just 20kg (because it's only a temp resident visa).
I'm faxing off his passport page tomorrow, and we'll see how we go. We're travelling with Cathay. I'm trying to sort this out before they actually issue our tickets. I don't want the tickets to arrive a few days before the flight only to find the baggage allowance on them is wrong.
Has anyone been in a similar circumstance?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Baggage Blues

I'd get in touch with the airline directly if I were you. It doesn't matter what a travel agent says if it isn't on the airline's computer. I went directly to Singapore Airlines (in person in their office actually) and saw the woman put it on the computer. 30kg, thanks very much. Window seat? Don't mind if I do.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:00 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

I hear so much conflicting information about baggage allowances. A friend who is a travel agent told me you only get your standard 20kg even if you are migrating.

I would go to the airline, most travel agencies deal with holiday makers, so the extra baggage allowance is something they may not know.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Hi Jenny,
We are having hassles with Cathay Pacific and baggage allowance. When we asked them about 40kg they told us we should have booked an emigration ticket, but the travel agent didn't inform us of this even though she knew we were emigrating. Went back to Cathay and they said we should go back to the travel agent and try to upgrade to an emigration ticket for £290 each!!! I am now intending to send residency copies to Cathy and a 'pleasant' letter to start with! We looked on their website to see if there was any info about these 'emigration tickets' but there isn't. Am going to keep hassling Cathay and see how it goes!

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I'm currently in a slanging match with my travel agent (AusTravel) about our baggage. Every time I speak to them, a different person tells me something different. Matt has a 309 de-facto spouse visa, of which he hasn't used yet. I'm a resident returning so I get 20kg, but the problem is with Matt, some are saying he can have 40kg (because he has a migration visa, others say just 20kg (because it's only a temp resident visa).
I'm faxing off his passport page tomorrow, and we'll see how we go. We're travelling with Cathay. I'm trying to sort this out before they actually issue our tickets. I don't want the tickets to arrive a few days before the flight only to find the baggage allowance on them is wrong.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:51 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Just remind Cathay that Singapore Airlines increase the baggage for migrants without any hassle or extra expense.

Even Malaysian, who say it`s just a 20kg limit, say that 25kg should be fine... and they also give the same baggage amount to a childs fare, and 10kg to an infants fare.

You`re def. better going direct to Cathay. Agents are muppets after they have your money.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi Jenny,
We are having hassles with Cathay Pacific and baggage allowance. When we asked them about 40kg they told us we should have booked an emigration ticket, but the travel agent didn't inform us of this even though she knew we were emigrating. Went back to Cathay and they said we should go back to the travel agent and try to upgrade to an emigration ticket for £290 each!!! I am now intending to send residency copies to Cathy and a 'pleasant' letter to start with! We looked on their website to see if there was any info about these 'emigration tickets' but there isn't. Am going to keep hassling Cathay and see how it goes!
I'm having dreadful trouble with Cathay also - I'm a brit going on a temp spouse visa. Cathay told me it would be over £600 each to get 40 kilos per person . Our tickets are one way and only worth £380 each, not sure where Cathay get off

We booked through Travelbag.com part of the ebookers group
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Stormz,
Thanks for that will give it a go.

Originally Posted by Stormz
Just remind Cathay that Singapore Airlines increase the baggage for migrants without any hassle or extra expense.

Even Malaysian, who say it`s just a 20kg limit, say that 25kg should be fine... and they also give the same baggage amount to a childs fare, and 10kg to an infants fare.

You`re def. better going direct to Cathay. Agents are muppets after they have your money.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pako,
You did well! OUr tickets cost £410 one way. I was rather annoyed with the customer service advisor on the phone as he wasn't very helpful. Will go higher! Good luck to you. We booked through Flight Centre and was surprised at how unhelpful they were.
Sending a letter next week so will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by pako
I'm having dreadful trouble with Cathay also - I'm a brit going on a temp spouse visa. Cathay told me it would be over £600 each to get 40 kilos per person . Our tickets are one way and only worth £380 each, not sure where Cathay get off

We booked through Travelbag.com part of the ebookers group
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You're the same as me, I flew with Cathay, booked through Austreval, on a Pros Spouse (which is a temp visa too). Austravel didn't know, and I wrote to cathay and got it confirmed in writing.
You can also phone Cathay Customer Services at Heathrow - get them to check your PNR - thats YOUR personal record on their computer. That is what the Check in staff go by, and that will state what baggage you can have.

I must add - I got 40kgs, but it took a lot of grovvelling, bring on a temp visa. Others on the same visa travelling cathay since have only been allowed 20kgs.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
I've spoke to AusTravel twice more since my last post, and got 2 more different answers - both quite positive, but basically saying Matt will get his 40kg, but we won't have it in writing :scared: I'm going to confirm it with Cathay. God, I really hope we get the extra baggage, I've got plans for it...
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
I've spoke to AusTravel twice more since my last post, and got 2 more different answers - both quite positive, but basically saying Matt will get his 40kg, but we won't have it in writing :scared: I'm going to confirm it with Cathay. God, I really hope we get the extra baggage, I've got plans for it...
Confirm it by phone with Cathay, and ask if you can have it in writing. And, honestly, then leave it a week, and phone Customer Service at Heathrow, and ask them to check what their computer record (PNR) says. That is (almost) always what the Check In staff will use - if that says 40, you are home and dry.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pollyana,
Do you remember which Cathay office and who you spoke to to get your allowance? I went on the website and the only details they have are the Heathrow dept. Think the number the travel agent gave me was a London one and the man I spoke to basically said we were't getting anything, only the 20kg! Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Confirm it by phone with Cathay, and ask if you can have it in writing. And, honestly, then leave it a week, and phone Customer Service at Heathrow, and ask them to check what their computer record (PNR) says. That is (almost) always what the Check In staff will use - if that says 40, you are home and dry.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:00 pm
Home and Happy

Quite possibily the Yellow Pages, in a big "airlines" ad. Other than that, I would go for the Heathrow one and ask for a number for Customer Services,
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:13 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

We've just booked with singapore airlines....I wrote to them asking if we could have the extra allowance as its a 1 way ticket (we validated April 2003) and they've just written back saying they'll give us 35kg each!!! - RESULT!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:33 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by artep
We've just booked with singapore airlines....I wrote to them asking if we could have the extra allowance as its a 1 way ticket (we validated April 2003) and they've just written back saying they'll give us 35kg each!!! - RESULT!
Hiya,
Isuppose it's a "Ask and ye shal recieve "

Congrats and remember only max 30kg per bag! & use a trolley or you will need surgery for the hernia!

Bye
Mark