Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baggage allowence for migrants

baggage allowence for migrants

Old Apr 16th 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

anngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really nice
Default baggage allowence for migrants

i am planning (if or when my 175 visa is approved) to go on a vacation/backpacking trip to asia (india, thailand etc) en-route to Oz, with my last flight being one-way ticket to Oz from singapore. with the perm res 175 visa (see timeline below) i hear you can get extra baggage allownce on some airlines, i would prob be flying singapore air.

my question is with me flying from singapore to sydney and not from the UK as my orignal destination would they still allow me the extra allowence ie not flying form my original home country? as i would like to do some shopping in singapore before arriving in Oz. the visa would be un-used as i would not have entered Oz after being granted it until this point
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baggage allowence for migrants

I think you'd have to call the airline and ask about this.

As an alternative, if you fly BA on the route SIN-SYD you can purchase an extra bag for 32 quid, giving you a 46kg baggage allowance.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

jeany123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anngroovy
i am planning (if or when my 175 visa is approved) to go on a vacation/backpacking trip to asia (india, thailand etc) en-route to Oz, with my last flight being one-way ticket to Oz from singapore. with the perm res 175 visa (see timeline below) i hear you can get extra baggage allownce on some airlines, i would prob be flying singapore air.

my question is with me flying from singapore to sydney and not from the UK as my orignal destination would they still allow me the extra allowence ie not flying form my original home country? as i would like to do some shopping in singapore before arriving in Oz. the visa would be un-used as i would not have entered Oz after being granted it until this point
Hi There,
I came to OZ with Malaysian Airlines.They offered me 20Kg + 15Kg as I spoke to them (2-3 days) before departure. Generally all airlines offer an extra baggage allowance when you are travelling oneway and you can show an immigration visa to the airline people. Gud to talk to airline people before you buy the ticket. Malysian airlines are offering the best rates and less transit time for the timebeing. Best of Luck.
Cheers.
Jeany
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

We flew with SA and stopped off for 6 weeks en route to travel. When we came to check in again in Singapore I was glad I had printed off the e-mail response I have received in answer to my query about baggage allowance. I think without that there is no way the woman at the desk would have gone for it but as it was there was no problem. Btw I would recommend checking in at the SA office at Orchard Road rather than the airport (you can definitely do this 24 hours before you travel, if not earlier) - that way you don't have to be at the airport quite as early and the check in staff have more time than those at the airport desks.