Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowances, are they fair?

Wikiposts

Baggage allowances, are they fair?

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 7:29 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Baggage allowances, are they fair?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I find that tall people tend to recline their seats more as well - I rarely recline mine cos I feel sorry for the person behind.
I'm pretty tall, but never recline my seat. Usually I'll have to put my knees in my neck (ok, that's not true), but since I know what it's like to not have so much space I don't recline my seat because I feel sorry for the person behind me.
Funny though if the person in front of me tries to recline his/her seat...they always bump into my knees. One time there was this not so smart joker who during the whole flight kept on trying to push his seat further back even though I'd told him there was no more room since I have to leave my legs somewhere.

The joys of flying... :scared:
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:03 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sander
Try checking in extremely early...as in three hours in advance. Usually it's a matter of who's first.
Have tried that as well! I am one of those saddos who loves the airport before hols and am always there 3 - 3 1/4 hours before!!! My husband go's mad! I have asked very nicely, but have been told that those seats are all reserved It always seems to be families with children in them and I don't mean babies and the 6 years old kids sit there swinging their legs about while I have my knees rammed into the seat in front. I actually had to deep breathe on the BA flight when the person in front of me reclined their seat, it was so claustrophobic!

Oh well thanks for the tips guys! I can always live in hope can't I!?

Lynn
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:33 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by cresta57
Personally I find tall people are more annoying on long flights than an overweight short person as their legs keep knocking the back of the seats.
Hmmm prob cos our long legs have nowhere else to go!

It bugs me when the person infront starts comlpaining cos my feet are that far under the seat in front that my feet are in between their feet. Its either that or have them sticking out in to the walkway and then get smashed by the drinks trolley.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
Personally I find tall people are more annoying on long flights than an overweight short person as their legs keep knocking the back of the seats.
I wonder if you're one of those annoying people who insist on reclining their seats, thus reducing the leg space of the person behind**?

If you did that in front of me, you would have felt more than a "knocking", you would feel knee caps smashing into the back of your chair.

** Reclining seats should be banned for this reason.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I couldn;t fit all the clothes in the bag so had to wear them!!

I find that tall people tend to recline their seats more as well - I rarely recline mine cos I feel sorry for the person behind. One flight I did (yes, one of the Emirates legs) I had an Arabic "gentleman" in front of me you reclined his seat all the way and refused to move it for the whole flight. Every time the crew forced it upright for meals, he slammed it straight back down again and claimed he couldn't understand English! Very hard to eat, as the tray was useless, and nigh on impossible to get out of the seat.
The language of knee caps pressed in the back is universal
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:47 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Hi,

Although having travelled fairly extensively I can honestly say that my baggage allowance has never really been an issue. When my wife and I go away on a suitcase type trip we tend to only take one between us so there isn't a problem weight wise. If we take rucksacks, because we will have to carry them, we take far greater care when packing.

I have noticed a lot of interest on this website about baggage allowances, which I now understand as we are currently wandering around our house commenting to each other 'that will have to stay, but we'll take this etc'. I have also just read a very interesting post regarding weight concerns and how Aussies are as overweight as Americans; this has got me thinking...

Over the last few years my wife and I have lost just over 7 stone between us through a combination of a complete change in lifestyle, exercise and diet. We are now spot on for our heights and far healthier*.

Is it fair that we have the same baggage allowance now as we did a few years ago i.e.- I used to weigh 16 stone, I now weigh 12, but the cost of an airline ticket for me is still the same. Who gets that extra 4 stone?

To carry this forward is it fair that a 'weight challenged person' has the same allowance as someone who is a 'normal or average' weight? What about people who are under weight, should they get an even more increased allowance or maybe even cheaper tickets?

I wonder if the airlines should set a, obviously tightly controlled and scrutinized, standard weight to height ratio and an individual’s baggage allowance and ticket costs would increase or decrease in direct relation.

It could help bring down the cost of air travel and also be extra motivation for those who require it. More importantly, if it motivates more people to lose weight, it could increase the general levels of health* in certain Western countries like Australia, the USA and the UK thus easing demands on government’s health care costs.

With the possible exception of certain major Fast Food chains, sweet manufacturers and retailers of over size clothing... Surely everyone would be a winner.

Regards.

* I am not saying that all overweight people are unhealthy, but personally I believe it to be a general rule of thumb and most certainly have found it to be so.

I pissed my knicks reading this one.

I was absolutely terrified when flying back from Canada a few weeks ago, that I would be sat next to a hugely 'oversized' person.

I heard about one story about a woman so huge, her fat took over most of the seat next to her.

The other passenger couldnt get her arm rest down, as this lady was so big.

Should they pay for two seats? I dont know, but if I have paid for my seat, if I want my arm rest down, then I will have it.

Dont think its fair to share my seat with someones love handles.

Can you imagine putting your feet up on the person sitting next to you, or falling asleep on their shoulder?

You wouldn't be popular for doing that, so it works both ways.

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I pissed my knicks reading this one.
I wouldn't be happy sitting next to someone with incontinence
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
I wonder if you're one of those annoying people who insist on reclining their seats, thus reducing the leg space of the person behind**?

If you did that in front of me, you would have felt more than a "knocking", you would feel knee caps smashing into the back of your chair.

** Reclining seats should be banned for this reason.
totally agree with reclining seats being banned, my chances of DVT must increase tenfold when the selfish person in front reclines their seat - it leaves the person sitting behind in a terrible position with nowhere literally to put your feet. Have kneecapped a few arrogant recliners in my travels!!!

Isn't it just awful when they still keep them reclined at meal times - the stewards usually say to the person and they reluctantly put it back up, but yet when the next mealtime comes they don't bother again!!! :scared:

If people keep suing airlines for causing their DVT's then reclining seats might actually be banned.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:56 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Got another one, prob' go down like a lead ballon but....

Kids and planes don't mix especially on long flights

Little Jonny has been standing there tapping you on the head for the last half hour and you look over and all you get is "aww aint they cute when they are that small"

Whoosh door opens little Jonny gets sucked out...

"Yep he's getting all the more cute the small he gets"
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Beegee
Got another one, prob' go down like a lead ballon but....

Kids and planes don't mix especially on long flights

Little Jonny has been standing there tapping you on the head for the last half hour and you look over and all you get is "aww aint they cute when they are that small"

Whoosh door opens little Jonny gets sucked out...

"Yep he's getting all the more cute the small he gets"
Sicko!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:26 pm
Professional Princess

Flew from Japan to Brisbane 2 years ago. Sat next to this fat Japanese woman that had a wind problem.

She really couldnt help it and just kept farting, then saying: "Oops, sorry!"

My husband was choking back the laughter. But when he realised that she somewhat smelt of rotton eggs and brussel sprouts, he stopped.

All you could hear was him noisily breathing through his mouth.

This went on for 8 hours.

Wonder if it's the high altitude?