Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances!!

Baggage Allowances!!

Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:47 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Baggage Allowances!!

We are flying with Singapore Airlines, and had a momentory panic re Baggage etc so gave them a call and you are allowed 40kgs if you have a migration Visa, but only 25kg if you are aussie passport holder like me. So other half and kids OK.

Reason for the post this took ages and several phone calls to confirm. Incidently Quantas and several other airlines require that you book your excess baggage and prove your VISA status prior to arrival at check in.

Finally, anyone item of baggage MUST NOT exceed 32kg, otherwise it will be rejected as to heavy for the baggage handlers to handle.

Good Luck

Paul J
Soon to be in Perth, after little break in Singapore
Old Oct 19th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baggage Allowances!!

Originally Posted by Jacko1
We are flying with Singapore Airlines, and had a momentory panic re Baggage etc so gave them a call and you are allowed 40kgs if you have a migration Visa, but only 25kg if you are aussie passport holder like me. So other half and kids OK.

Reason for the post this took ages and several phone calls to confirm. Incidently Quantas and several other airlines require that you book your excess baggage and prove your VISA status prior to arrival at check in.

Finally, anyone item of baggage MUST NOT exceed 32kg, otherwise it will be rejected as to heavy for the baggage handlers to handle.

Good Luck

Paul J
Hi Paul

We have our visas & had them validated in January & we only get 20 kgs (due to the fact that we have validated already). Sunchaser posted on here recently that they rang singapore airlines & explained that they had only been on holiday previously & they gave them 40kgs. I rang this am & advised the same & the lady authorised 35 kgs each in the circumstances - she has sent an email confirming & says that she will put a note on screen for the check in clerk. I realise that we will probably still have a battle at the gate but so chuffed as we are moving out on 5/11 & will be living at mums until 3/1 & then our stuff will not be arriving in Oz until around the 27/1 - a long time with just one suitcase each (esp the kids).

So thansk to Sunchaser & just to let others know that it is worth a phone call if you are in the same boat.

pockygoes
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:35 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pockygoes
Hi Paul

We have our visas & had them validated in January & we only get 20 kgs (due to the fact that we have validated already). Sunchaser posted on here recently that they rang singapore airlines & explained that they had only been on holiday previously & they gave them 40kgs. I rang this am & advised the same & the lady authorised 35 kgs each in the circumstances - she has sent an email confirming & says that she will put a note on screen for the check in clerk. I realise that we will probably still have a battle at the gate but so chuffed as we are moving out on 5/11 & will be living at mums until 3/1 & then our stuff will not be arriving in Oz until around the 27/1 - a long time with just one suitcase each (esp the kids).

So thansk to Sunchaser & just to let others know that it is worth a phone call if you are in the same boat.

pockygoes
Hi Pockygoes!

I've just pm'd you but just wanted to mention that you print the email allowing the extra baggage and take it with you as we were told the check in staff would know about it and the "check-in-employee-from-hell" that we had insisted he knew NOTHING about it. So do take the email as proof!

Good luck!
Sunchaser

Last edited by sunchaser; Oct 20th 2004 at 10:14 am.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunchaser
Hi Pockgoes!

I've just pm'd you but just wanted to mention that you print the email allowing the extra baggage and take it with you as we were told the check in staff would know about it and the "check-in-employee-from-hell" that we had insisted he knew NOTHING about it. So do take the email as proof!

Good luck!
Sunchaser
I have booked a 1 way ticket and am flying next Wednesday with Singapore airlines, on my eticket it says only 20kg. Im not worried (or should i be?) because we are emigrating so automatically get 40kg at check in. The check in staff should be able to see you new shiney visas surely and give you 40kg automatically.
Are you saying i need proof of my emigrating status to get 40kg?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Be very careful with Singapore airlines - they keep changing their minds. I spoke to them and they confirmed it on the phone ( even though we have already validated in dec 2003)
Basically after several annoyed emails to their complaints department in Manchester and SIngapore - i have received it in WRITING!!!!! My advise is get it in writing because I have heard of check in crew giving travellers a hard time..
am at work so have to be quick but feel free to ask me questions if u like....s
saloni
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:05 am
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by itsasecret
I have booked a 1 way ticket and am flying next Wednesday with Singapore airlines, on my eticket it says only 20kg. Im not worried (or should i be?) because we are emigrating so automatically get 40kg at check in. The check in staff should be able to see you new shiney visas surely and give you 40kg automatically.
Hi,

Singapore Airlines do say that you automatically get 40kg if you have a nice new shiney visa that's never been validated before so I don't believe you need to get proof. But, having said that, I'd always rather get it in writing, it's just safer. All they need to do is send you an email.

Good luck and enjoy your flight!
Sunchaser
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

I e-mailed Singapore to ask about luggage allowances and received an e-mail back stating that if you have a migrating visa you get 40kg. Otherwise no difference in allowance is given.

If anyone wants a forwarded copy of this to print and take with them so no arguments at check in...just say!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ushas
I e-mailed Singapore to ask about luggage allowances and received an e-mail back stating that if you have a migrating visa you get 40kg. Otherwise no difference in allowance is given.

If anyone wants a forwarded copy of this to print and take with them so no arguments at check in...just say!
Yes please, i will PM you so you can email.
Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:36 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Yes please, i will PM you so you can email.
Thanks.
Has anybody done this with Quantas ?
we have not validated our visa but when our flights are normal return flights (we where coming back but we are not now and they wanted to charge us to change so we have stayed the same) but when i called them they said that unless i was on a Special emigration package that i cannot have the extra baggage even though i have not validated ?

S
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting a spouse visa. Hubby hasn't lived in Aus since he was little, and he ain't no more! Girls have dual nationality but have never been to Aus. We will be getting one way tickets. Is it only me that can have the double baggage allowance or all of us?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am getting a spouse visa. Hubby hasn't lived in Aus since he was little, and he ain't no more! Girls have dual nationality but have never been to Aus. We will be getting one way tickets. Is it only me that can have the double baggage allowance or all of us?

Hi

We've booked with Malaysian Airlines, we travel on 16/1/05, I spoke to them yesturday as it states on our ticket we are only allowed 20k per person, & asked if we would be able to increase to 40k, & was told no this would not be allowed, but i've read on other thread that they will increase if you are emigrating, should i email them a nice letter requesting the 40k?????

Any advise

Paula
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:19 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi

We've booked with Malaysian Airlines, we travel on 16/1/05, I spoke to them yesturday as it states on our ticket we are only allowed 20k per person, & asked if we would be able to increase to 40k, & was told no this would not be allowed, but i've read on other thread that they will increase if you are emigrating, should i email them a nice letter requesting the 40k?????

Any advise

Paula
i would, ive just emailed quantas explaining that we are emigrating
so hopefully they will let us upgrade ours ...

can't hurt can it
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paula

Just did a search for you - research you understand

This might help but doesn't look too promising for you
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...gage+allowance

Then I found this:

"Malaysian dont give you double baggage allowance, the only ones who dont for migrants"

which is even less help to you, sorry - why am I apologising - it's not my fault
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1

Good Luck

Paul J
Hi Paul, if you join the asia miles club (its free) you get an extra 5kg each and you can check in online. Anyway hows Cornard? Ah how I miss it.......not!
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Make sure your email states the same baggage allowance on from your stopover in Singapore too as we had no problem at Heathrow, couldn't have been more helpful, our problem was with the check in at Singapore after our break, firstly they said we couldn't have 40kgs then they said our baggage was heavier than that.......bearing in mind we hadn't unpacked anything apart from stopover bag and put nothing extra in.......I argued the point and we had to shift some to hand luggage which was a joke as we carried a large cuddly tigger....and I mean large!!! (leaving present for Oliver from some kind relative - G's Dad - lol - not!!!) onto the plane to everyone's amusement .......anyway point is if they try the same after stopover, just explain that at Heathrow scales were ok and stick to your guns, otherwise you could get a hefty bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.