Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances

Baggage Allowances

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Baggage Allowances

While I've been awaiting our house buyers to sign on the dotted line.....I thought I would collate some info regarding baggage allowances made by different airlines for an un-used visa.
Here are the answers I got.

Air New Zealand

Dear Paul

Thank you for your email.

This flight does fly via the USA. There will be a 2 hour stopover for refuelling, uplifting and offloading of passengers.

Your luggage allowance will be checked luggage of 2 pieces each can weigh up to 32kg (70lbs) and 1 carry on weighing up to 7kg (15lb) plus one personal item such as a handbag or a laptop for example.

Kind Regards
Online Support

Singapore airlines

Dear Mr Ross,

You will be allowed double baggage allowance of 40kgs if you are holding a migrant visa that hasn't been stamped before. The visa must have the words "mig" on it and state that you may "remain in Australia indefinately". We do not have to sight the visas beforehand but you will need to show them at check in,

Kind regards,

Lena

Emirates airlines

Dear Mr Ross,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Emirates does offer a 40kg baggage allowance, upon the condition that passengers have the necessary migrant visa approval in their passports. On the visa it MUST state that the visa is for an "indefinate stay". We regret we cannot increase the allowance where a period of (for example) 2,4,6 years is stated on the visa, or where it is a Business Visa.

If you have already booked and have tickets, please call us on 0870 243 2222 where we can insert the necessary remarks into the booking. We may ask that you fax proof of visas to us. If you have booked through an agent and are yet to receive tickets, please advise them and they should be able to make the necessary changes before the tickets are issued.

If you are yet to book at all, please clearly advise whoever you book through of the situation, and they should be able to accomodate your request.

Kind regards

Emirates UK
[email protected]

I hope it's of some help to you.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rossi, I'm sure you are helping someone!
Because we have a cheap ticket, Emirates won't let us take extra....But I think we'll survive

Closer to the date I may call/email Emirates myself, to double check, cos now the travel agency asked for me.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:20 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

That's useful - thanks.

Although if you go with Emirates you'll start with 40kg and end up with none....
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
That's useful - thanks.

Although if you go with Emirates you'll start with 40kg and end up with none....

...I think we'll stick t the 20, and stuff as much possible in handluggage! Only clothes in suitcase!
I don't trust the shippers either....
It'll only be a few boxes I'll be worried about, but I'd be devastated to lose them. (ohhhh, poor Polly, I'm sure they'll turn up. Shippers are always slow, even if they do have your stuff!!)
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Simone82

...I think we'll stick t the 20, and stuff as much possible in handluggage! Only clothes in suitcase!
I don't trust the shippers either....
It'll only be a few boxes I'll be worried about, but I'd be devastated to lose them. (ohhhh, poor Polly, I'm sure they'll turn up. Shippers are always slow, even if they do have your stuff!!)

Beware........They will weigh your hand luggage too
:scared: 7kg max.

Fax a photocopy of your visa to the Sales Manager on 0207 8080061 and request the double allowance.......doesn't make any difference if you have bought a cheap ticket or not
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got the exact same email back from emirates this morning. But to me its seems contradictory. Although we have permanent migrant visas that state 'to remain in Australia indefinately',obviously they are onlt valid for 5 years, as then citizenship is required. So I dont quite understand their wording of 'not available if visa only valid for 2, 4, or 6 years'.
Maybe Im just thick.
Ian.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by notts to perth
Just got the exact same email back from emirates this morning. But to me its seems contradictory. Although we have permanent migrant visas that state 'to remain in Australia indefinately',obviously they are onlt valid for 5 years, as then citizenship is required. So I dont quite understand their wording of 'not available if visa only valid for 2, 4, or 6 years'.
Maybe Im just thick.
Ian.

What they are looking for are the words

"Permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely"
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rossi
What they are looking for are the words

"Permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely"
Cool we should be ok then, and yes they do weigh the handluggage not at the checking in desk but when going through customs before going to the gate. 7 kg max.
Ian
Old Jan 21st 2004, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ian,
Singapore airlines weighed the hand luggage at check-in when the wife went over in November.
I had them hidden round the corner but they were sent back to get them
Old Jan 21st 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

What happens if you are making a visa validation trip before you actually emigrate ?? Visa will be stamped by the time you get that one-way ticket
Old Jan 21st 2004, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

depends where you are travelling or which way, flying via America you get 32kgs as standard
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by sjn2003
What happens if you are making a visa validation trip before you actually emigrate ?? Visa will be stamped by the time you get that one-way ticket

ALL of the airlines I contacted stipulated it had to be an UN-USED migrant visa