Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance. Who offers the best

Baggage allowance. Who offers the best

Old May 16th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baggage allowance. Who offers the best

Wondering if anyone has a list of baggage allowances for flighs to Oz. We're now looking to book but not always very easy to find how much luggage we can take with us.

So far best deal on flights is with Cathy from our local airport but are lots of very good deals flying from london with airlines we know very little about any help with this one much appreciated
Old May 16th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage allowance. Who offers the best

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Wondering if anyone has a list of baggage allowances for flighs to Oz. We're now looking to book but not always very easy to find how much luggage we can take with us.

So far best deal on flights is with Cathy from our local airport but are lots of very good deals flying from london with airlines we know very little about any help with this one much appreciated
20kg is pretty much a standard allowance with most international airlines. However, Emirates have recently increased their allowance to 30kg.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
20kg is pretty much a standard allowance with most international airlines. However, Emirates have recently increased their allowance to 30kg.
Had read about emirates allowances. But as flights are £500 more for the 4 of us not really worth the extra
Old May 16th 2009, 10:36 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Had read about emirates allowances. But as flights are £500 more for the 4 of us not really worth the extra
Remember that you are now coming over on a permanent visa - many offer extra for this. I'd contact your 'favourites' and see what they can offer you!

Kareena
Old May 16th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Remember that you are now coming over on a permanent visa - many offer extra for this. I'd contact your 'favourites' and see what they can offer you!

Kareena
Does that mean you have to book through their site? as have noticed that prices go up a lot if you do it through the airline itself...
Old May 16th 2009, 10:50 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Does that mean you have to book through their site? as have noticed that prices go up a lot if you do it through the airline itself...
Not as far as I'm aware. Just phone/ email the actual airline company and check their policy on migrating on a perm visa. Then book through however you want!
Old May 16th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Not as far as I'm aware. Just phone/ email the actual airline company and check their policy on migrating on a perm visa. Then book through however you want!
Am I right in saying need visa in hand when booking to get the extra allowance?
Old May 16th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

I have a bucket of photographic equipment to take with me - not happy about putting in the hold. I am also a diver.

So......booked BA (unlimited weight of hand luggage, just size), got 23kgs plus a sports bag (cos I is a diver...!|) and then bought a 23kg bag for £72.

That is around 69kgs plus hand luggage, which is going to be couple of cameras, 5 lenses plus a laptop......and anything else I can fit in the backpack!!

Flight under £600 inc connections. Seemed OK, fly June to Adelaide.

Twinset
Old May 17th 2009, 4:15 am
Living the dream!

Am I right in saying need visa in hand when booking to get the extra allowance?
Again, you would need to check with the airline. We were told that we just had to have the visa electronically in your passport, and it would be confirmed at check in. But never got the extra as we only have a 457.
Old May 17th 2009, 5:31 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

The IOM offers for migrants in Germany 40kg if you fly with Quantas. They require a passport copy with the stamp and thats it.
Old May 17th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twinset
I have a bucket of photographic equipment to take with me - not happy about putting in the hold. I am also a diver.

So......booked BA (unlimited weight of hand luggage, just size), got 23kgs plus a sports bag (cos I is a diver...!|) and then bought a 23kg bag for £72.

That is around 69kgs plus hand luggage, which is going to be couple of cameras, 5 lenses plus a laptop......and anything else I can fit in the backpack!!

Flight under £600 inc connections. Seemed OK, fly June to Adelaide.

Twinset
But be careful! BA only fly as far as Singapore or Bangkok with the exception of Sydney so you are likely to be on a Qantas flight into Adelaide and their baggage is different. You will be ok however if you are going right through with no stopover.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kingseat
But be careful! BA only fly as far as Singapore or Bangkok with the exception of Sydney so you are likely to be on a Qantas flight into Adelaide and their baggage is different. You will be ok however if you are going right through with no stopover.

Good point - did check, and they said baggage allowance no different - will get that in writing though......!

Twinset
Old May 17th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

The only reason I know is that we were nearly caught out with infant allowance. 23kilos on BA but 10 with qantas.
Old May 17th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ow!!

That could have been sore - thanks for heads-up.

Twinset
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Annabel04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I very much enjoyed my recent flight from London to Kuala Lumpur (KL) on Air Asia X. Big jumbo, friendly service, etc. It was not even the Promo XL class/seat.

I will be flying from KL to Melbourne on Air Asia X, and then connect to Adelaide via hired car.

I bought 25 kg allowance when booking and will take another 20 kg or so, paying about 5.7 USD per kilo (20 Malaysian Ringgit) from KL, though I now see that flights from London to KL charge Malaysian Ringgit 50 per kg (http://www.airasia.com/site/my/EN/pr...f0220-32a94bd1).

Thai Airlways gives 40 kg if you are have a "Star Alliance" Membership. Singapore Airlines, with Star Alliance membership (you can apply and get the 30 kg allowance at once) usually 30kg, maybe more, in such exceptional circumstances.

I read that IOM may need months in advance bookings, and I could not verify the Qantas 40 kg allowance.

Good luck to all !

Last edited by Annabel04; Jun 14th 2009 at 1:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.