Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baggage allowance with Quantas

baggage allowance with Quantas

Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice
Default baggage allowance with Quantas

Hi all,

We are flying out on Jan 3rd with quantas, does anyone know what the normal baggage allowance is? the website is a bit confusing I think it looks like 20kg per case, but I am unsure how many cases per person, hopefully it is 2, or we will be leaving a lot of clothes for the shipper!!!!

Thanks James
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baggage allowance with Quantas

Qantas regular baggage allowance for economy is 20kg per person - children get less I think (10kg for infants but children look like they get 20kg). If you are on a one way ticket to Aus as a new migrant then they may give you a bit more - someone else will know for sure if they give you the migrant allowance, some airlines do.

Travel light!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Qantas regular baggage allowance for economy is 20kg per person - children get less I think (10kg for infants but children look like they get 20kg). If you are on a one way ticket to Aus as a new migrant then they may give you a bit more - someone else will know for sure if they give you the migrant allowance, some airlines do.

Travel light!
Qantas generally only give you the extra if you pay for a special migrant ticket.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James_SC
Hi all,

We are flying out on Jan 3rd with quantas, does anyone know what the normal baggage allowance is? the website is a bit confusing I think it looks like 20kg per case, but I am unsure how many cases per person, hopefully it is 2, or we will be leaving a lot of clothes for the shipper!!!!

Thanks James
For international flights, its 20kg per person, for domestic internal flights, they charge $20 per extra case, unlike a lot of other airlines where they charge per extra kilo.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

happybunny79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie
For international flights, its 20kg per person, for domestic internal flights, they charge $20 per extra case, unlike a lot of other airlines where they charge per extra kilo.
Does anyone know if the 20kg allowance all has to be packed into one bag, or can you spread the weight over 2 bags, say?
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:01 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Hi,

According to their website for international flights it is:

Economy:
1 x 115cm (45in) bag or
1 x 185cm (73in) non rigid garment bag

with a weight allowance of 7kg (15lb) per piece.

Hope that helps

lerato
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

See the information here http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...baggageChecked

Doesnt look like they have a limit on the number of bags to make up your 20kg and if you have an international connection attached to your domestic flight, they actually give you the international allowance on your domestic flight.

There are, however, as Lerato said, restrictions on your carryon luggage (although judging by what I see people taking on board, it doesnt look to me as if they police it very well!)
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice

Originally Posted by James_SC
Hi all,

Thanks James
James,
keep in mind that Qantas is probably one of the worst airline in terms of being a 'little bit flexible' with some kilos over the limit (I know it is a limit). Friends flew with Qantas (immigration flight) and they have been hit hardly because of 3 kilos over limit. We flew with Emirates and we got:

- actually 36 kilos over limit without any extra costs (!!!!). We have just shown them our one-way tickets at the counter.
- we paid extra $50 for a single seat for our infant because of long flight (16 h)
- they moved half of the passengers to make sure that we all got a seat in the 'baby row' in the cabine

Believe, despite all issues with the Arabs ... they really know what it's like to fly with kids around the world.
So, may you want to change your carrier ...

Good Luck!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

Flying with quantas, with their safety record of late

good luck
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by happybunny79
Does anyone know if the 20kg allowance all has to be packed into one bag, or can you spread the weight over 2 bags, say?
you can spread your travelling party's allowance between as many bags as you like. We travelled with them back to the UK in July and we had 2 bags between the 4 of us -- both well over the 20kg limit. I think there is a limit per bag of about 30kg as as Health and Safety thing. Equally you can have your 20kg spread over 2 bags....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevncarlz
Flying with quantas, with their safety record of late

good luck
yes good luck,

If i was you try to get the Ba flights not much better but Qantas is no go.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by billymacker
yes good luck,

If i was you try to get the Ba flights not much better but Qantas is no go.
What twaddle. There is nothing wrong with Qantas.