Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baggage allowance from h/row with CP?

baggage allowance from h/row with CP?

Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light
Default baggage allowance from h/row with CP?

Hi can someone settle an argument for me?
Basically 5 of us are travelling to Perth in August one way with Cathay Pacific, Whats the baggage allowance for each of us? per person per bag etc? I take it the children get the same allowance as us?
Also if my child who weighs 2 stone, how come an adult who weighs 20 stone gets the same baggage allowance? imo they should offset the weight of the person........or is it me?
Hope you can help.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baggage allowance from h/row with CP?

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Hi can someone settle an argument for me?
Basically 5 of us are travelling to Perth in August one way with Cathay Pacific, Whats the baggage allowance for each of us? per person per bag etc? I take it the children get the same allowance as us?
Also if my child who weighs 2 stone, how come an adult who weighs 20 stone gets the same baggage allowance? imo they should offset the weight of the person........or is it me?
Hope you can help.
How old are the children? According to CP's website, children under 2 and who do not occupy their own seat are only entitled to 10kg's, otherwise they are entitled to the same allowance as an adult (20kg).
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sassie
How old are the children? According to CP's website, children under 2 and who do not occupy their own seat are only entitled to 10kg's, otherwise they are entitled to the same allowance as an adult (20kg).
thanks the girls are 4, 6, 7, ..20kg..each...thats a bit lame
so is that 1 bag each weighing 20kg, or 20kg combined bags per person?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

20kg in as many bags as you like.

Excess baggage charges are around GBP35/kg.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lame? What do you want? Blood? So you have 100kgs to play with - doesn't sound too bad to me. They are providing a service, not doing favours
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Lame? What do you want? Blood? So you have 100kgs to play with - doesn't sound too bad to me. They are providing a service, not doing favours
oh, sorry for enquiring...........i thought it sounded a bit lame compared to other airlines, if you dont mind me saying. And yes i know i have 100 kgs to play with, i am paying for it, thanks for your,..opinion.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
20kg in as many bags as you like.

Excess baggage charges are around GBP35/kg.
Thanks mate,
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

oh, sorry for enquiring...........i thought it sounded a bit lame compared to other airlines, if you dont mind me saying. And yes i know i have 100 kgs to play with, i am paying for it, thanks for your,..opinion.
Most airlines will give you that amount, unless you are flying via the US.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think the 20kg is standard unless you fly via US and I think their allowances are higher. We just flew Qantas/BA and their allowance was 20kg as well.

You really do have to be quite profligate to rack up 20kg per person - the only way we usually do that is when the DH brings back books! You should be fine with 100kg, that's a lot of stuff!
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Most airlines will give you that amount, unless you are flying via the US.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:29 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
I think the 20kg is standard unless you fly via US and I think their allowances are higher. We just flew Qantas/BA and their allowance was 20kg as well.

You really do have to be quite profligate to rack up 20kg per person - the only way we usually do that is when the DH brings back books! You should be fine with 100kg, that's a lot of stuff!
Actually, I personally find 20Kg to be meager. Between Euope and the US, it used to be up to 2 bags of 32Kg (64Kg altogether) per person. We've travelled by air quite a bit over the years and I now find that 20Kg is often just not enough - especially if you are travelling with kids or destined for a significant holiday.

It might be worth checking with the airline to see if they have a more generous allowance for one-way emmigration/visa validation flights - some airlines do.

Why does someone that is lighter have the same allowance as someone that is heavier? That's a good question but I think a better and more relevant question might be: If I have to pay more for additional weight, shouldn't I also get a refund for taking less weight?

I think what the airlines do is to assume that the weight of a given passenger evens out as a standard average. They expect a certain number of childred, over weight people and adults that fall within a specific weight range. With this average in mind, they then assign a specific baggage weight allowance per passenger. Added together, along with fuel and any cargo, this then gets them a total laden weight of the aircraft. Again, it probably tends to avaerage out given the total number of passengers on a typical flight. If they had to adjust for each individual passenger on the day, it'd be very hard to calculate the gross laden weight of the aircraft and this would make determining the amount of fuel required much more difficult (at least ahead of time). Its probably also a lot less work and administration to simply assign a fixed weight allowance per travelling passenger.

I've no idea if any of this is true but it'd be my best guess as to how and why it's done the way it is. I stand to be corrected by anyone that's in the know.

- CDM
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

i think if you check with cp builder you will get 20kg plus carry on luggage 1 bag upto 5kg i think ,plus a laptop style bag or briefcase each , i know this as we are flying with cp from lhr in april and have the same dilemma hope this helps
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

For info....

Regardless of what the airlines state, it is actually controlled by the airport, since each airport has limits. Heathrow is 25kg.

LHR is 25kg - so you can take 25kg per person and will not get charged for being over the 20kg.

Just a wee tip from a seasoned traveller, which I promise will work.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
For info....

Regardless of what the airlines state, it is actually controlled by the airport, since each airport has limits. Heathrow is 25kg.

LHR is 25kg - so you can take 25kg per person and will not get charged for being over the 20kg.

Just a wee tip from a seasoned traveller, which I promise will work.
I think that's nonsense!

The airline may well accept 25kg, that's up to them - I don't think most full service airlines would bat an eyelid at a couple of kilos over.

The airport will accept bags weighing upto 32kg, but nothing more.....that would become an OH&S issue for the baggage handlers.

Economy passengers travelling to the Americas will typically have an allowance of at least 46kg...not sure how that fits in with LHR's 25kg limit???? What about business & first passengers who also have significantly higher allowances?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

You also get 10kg hand luggage each with CP... which boosts it up somewhat.

Carrying 10kg each is another matter though and very awkward with littlies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.