Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance with flights to oz

Baggage allowance with flights to oz

Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Baggage allowance with flights to oz

Going to oz in jan to validate my visa,but be coming back to the uk for a bit before moving there for good,what i need to know is or am i wrong when i go in jan 09 to validate it do i get special allowance on baggage,and what happens when i do take another flight later on will i lose this,im sure i read if you got pr visa you get double allowance or extra,but cause i am not going for good what would happen there,will i get this option next time,and just so i know do you request it,ask for it,or they just tell you there you could have had this baggage allowance.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage allowance with flights to oz

Migrant extra baggage allowance is offered by Singapore Airlines and Emirates it seems at the moment. It's a one shot deal on your migration trip to Australia travelling on an unused perm residents visa.

So no, you cant use it again, you can't "save it" for your actual migration trip.

You are best advised to speak to the airline to note the additional baggage allowance if you wish to use this on your holiday prior to moving as only two airlines left even offer this and, I personally suspect, it will end up being withdrawn thanks to fuel surcharging.

Alternatively consider using a small quantity shipper such as excess baggage for door to door service of a relatively small amount on your migration trip.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

We had to validate our visas in February and we only had the standard 20kg allowance, we were told that as we had booked a return ticket that was all we were entitled too. (Singapore Airlines from Heathrow.)

When we booked our one way flight we were told as we had already used our visa we could not have the 40kg allowance. Confused.......

We flew with Emirates from Glasgow and at checkin they allowed us 23kg each, not a great deal extra but it all helped.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
Going to oz in jan to validate my visa,but be coming back to the uk for a bit before moving there for good,what i need to know is or am i wrong when i go in jan 09 to validate it do i get special allowance on baggage,and what happens when i do take another flight later on will i lose this,im sure i read if you got pr visa you get double allowance or extra,but cause i am not going for good what would happen there,will i get this option next time,and just so i know do you request it,ask for it,or they just tell you there you could have had this baggage allowance.

Remember that you can fly via the US and get double the allowance, at any time, with any kind of visa...

S
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=rosebee;6711544]We had to validate our visas in February and we only had the standard 20kg allowance, we were told that as we had booked a return ticket that was all we were entitled too. (Singapore Airlines from Heathrow.)

When we booked our one way flight we were told as we had already used our visa we could not have the 40kg allowance. Confused.......

QUOTE]

You only get the extra baggage allowance on your first trip (so validation trip)
and it has to be a one way ticket. So thats thats why you didnt get it on emirates as in there eyes you had already gone to oz and activated your visa.

We are travelling with emirates and get 40kg each, you do have to inform them you are going out there to migrate as otherwise they wont know and it wont be printed on your ticket, and i had to send copies of mine and daughters visas.

kelly