Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

manzipoo will become famous soon enough
Default BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Hi there, We are hoping to come over to live and work this summer depends on when visa 175 arrives.
How many suitcases can we take each? Can we take essentials like forks/knifes/spoons, tea/coffee etc.
Can we pay extra for more suitcases?

Last edited by manzipoo; Feb 19th 2010 at 3:44 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Originally Posted by manzipoo
Hi there, We are hoping to come over to live and work this summer depends on when visa 175 arrives.
How many suitcases can we take each? Can we take essentials like forks/knifes/spoons, tea/coffee etc.
Can we pay extra for more suitcases?
That depends on the airline you use and the class you fly. Some allow more luggage than others, some sometimes give special increased allowances for migrants with unused permenant visas.

You can ship goods seperatly though, people ship whole housloads and even cars in containers. Shipping extra suitcases with the airline itself should probably be your last resort as it costs so much.

Not sure about the tea and coffee you'd have to check with customs, but then you can buy them easy enough in Australia.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

As stated above, it depends on the airline. I suggest that once you work out which airline you are flying with have a look at their website for baggage allowance. We are flying back to Australia with Singapore Airlines, they have all the information on their website.
Tea and coffee would probably not make it through customs and there is plenty of it when you get there so no need to bring it with you!

Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines will give you 40Kgs per person on a one way ticket if you haven't validated your visas in Oz yet.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Singapore Airlines will give you 40Kgs per person on a one way ticket if you haven't validated your visas in Oz yet.
I just checked online again to make sure, and it's only 20kilos per person, flying from the USA and Canada is 40kilos per person.

Last edited by Aussie30; Feb 19th 2010 at 8:09 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I will be flying Air New Zealand coming from the USA, I am allowed to bring 2 pcs of 50lbs (23kg) each. And excess baggage of 23kgs per bag cost USD 100. That is depends on the airline and where you will be coming from. If coming from the USA, the standard is mentioned above but if you are travelling business class, the allowance is 2 bags of 70lbs each.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I just checked online again to make sure, and it's only 20kilos per person, flying from the USA and Canada is 40kilos per person.
Where are you flying from?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Where are you flying from?
The UK, Heathrow.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The UK, Heathrow.
If you haven't validated your visas in Oz yet and you're on a one way ticket you get 40Kgs per person. I have an email to this effect.

If you've been there before to validate then its no go.

Even from Heathrow you get this allowance.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 19th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

If you haven't validated your visas in Oz yet and you're on a one way ticket you get 40Kgs per person. I have an email to this effect.

If you've been there before to validate then its no go.
Sorry, I'm just flying home there so no VISAs or anything, that's why it's obviously less for me then.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I'm just flying home there so no VISAs or anything, that's why it's obviously less for me then.
Ok Cool.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Verified the same from Colombo, but only over the phone. As you said better to have confirmed via email & have a copy with me.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

try emirates i fly business class silver member and get 40kg plus 12kg for silver member plus 10kg hand luggage they do 30kg in economy
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

hi
you can bring in teabags/coffee as long as u declare it at customs
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
hi
you can bring in teabags/coffee as long as u declare it at customs
Probably if they are sealed and declared. Maybe check out Oz customs website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.