Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baggage allowance

baggage allowance

Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about
Default baggage allowance

Hi all
We were in the process of booking flights for our move to the gold coast in Sept and whilst on the phone to a sales rep we were told that as we had validated our visa last Aug we had used up our extra baggage allowance on that trip, we explained that we only went for 2 weeks and it wasn't a permanent move at the time but he said as we had permanent residents visa's it counted and our only option was to fly via LA because the allowance is bigger ,surely this cant be true?
Julie
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: baggage allowance

Yep,
'tis true I'm afraid........
You need an unvalidated visa in order to get your double baggage allowance as a migrant traveller.......which a lot of airlines have stopped doing anyway
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about

no way we booked with southall travel and he assured it could be done as we had return tickets!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We went with AirNZ, upgraded to premium economy and had 46kg EACH...plus twice the usual hand luggage (I think) and loads of room....and I mean loads of room! Was quite a bit longer flight, but the extra space makes up for it
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by medwaymark
We went with AirNZ, upgraded to premium economy and had 46kg EACH...plus twice the usual hand luggage (I think) and loads of room....and I mean loads of room! Was quite a bit longer flight, but the extra space makes up for it
My OH is calling them now to try and sort it did it cost a lot more to upgrade?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie9
My OH is calling them now to try and sort it did it cost a lot more to upgrade?
You don't need to upgrade to get 46kg flying Air NZ.....you just need to fly via LA and not Hong Kong. Be prepared for a longer flight to Aus though as you must also go via Auckland.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Rachel13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If you've got an account with HiFX they will give you a special phone number and password to book your one way flights with Qantas and you will get the 40kg baggage.

We had already validated and they didn't even question it.

Rachel
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachel13
Hi

If you've got an account with HiFX they will give you a special phone number and password to book your one way flights with Qantas and you will get the 40kg baggage.

We had already validated and they didn't even question it.

Rachel
Rachel, did you manage to get a good price by doing this? The one they gave me was more expensive than quite a few others.
Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:47 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

I'm in a similar situation as my initial visa is for 1 year, therefore no extra baggage available for me on normal flights. Then I find out about Air New Zealand luggage allowance via US. It's a no-brainer for me, packing up my suitcases it 46kg is just so much more realistic than 20kg - which is closer to what I'd take for a 2 wk holiday...!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lerato
I'm in a similar situation as my initial visa is for 1 year, therefore no extra baggage available for me on normal flights. Then I find out about Air New Zealand luggage allowance via US. It's a no-brainer for me, packing up my suitcases it 46kg is just so much more realistic than 20kg - which is closer to what I'd take for a 2 wk holiday...!
Note that if you go via the US you have to go through US Immigration and colect your bags en route before boarding the next sector of the flight.
Rules for transiting/entering the US on the Visa Waiver have changed recently.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583018
and
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=5
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Rachel13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by movingaway
Rachel, did you manage to get a good price by doing this? The one they gave me was more expensive than quite a few others.
Thanks
At the time I booked I think £588 was the cheapest I could find anywhere else and Qantas was £613. I had looked into sending an extra 40kg (2 of us) by air freight and it was about £180 so I thought £50 extra for the flights was worth it. It was also cheaper than going via US or NZ and obviously a shorter route with only one change.

Rachel
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:33 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Note that if you go via the US you have to go through US Immigration and colect your bags en route before boarding the next sector of the flight.
Rules for transiting/entering the US on the Visa Waiver have changed recently.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=583018
and
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=5

Thanks Pollyana, I'd read about the visa changes for US but didn't know you had to collect bags. I will have to see what flights are available when my visa is authorised, so I might not have a choice which way I go anyway...
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:54 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

We are going with Malaysia Airlines via Kuala Lumpa. Only got the standard 20kg limit when I rang them to see if we could get any extra allowance they said no. I also asked them if I go over my 20kg allowance how much extra I'd have to pay. The mrs had to pick me up off the floor because the airline said it will be £39 per kg!!

Me thinks our cases will be weighed and double weighed before we leave for the airport
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

UsLot is an unknown quantity at this point

We are flying with Etihad on Saturday. Because we are members of their loyalty programme we get an extra 10kg per person, so total 30Kg, plus 7Kg hand luggage allowance.

Mandy x

Last edited by UsLot; Jan 20th 2009 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:49 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

30kg doesn't sound too bad. I may now be resorting to the 20kg - checked prices again and ANZ from Teesside/Leeds/Manchester is £1,170 average. But I've now found some Emirates flights from Newcastle for £690...

Nearly £500 cheaper! But depends again on availability, and also Thomas Cook gave me some quotes for ANZ for approx £800. I guess it's working out if the faff and length via US is worth the extra money...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.