Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance

Baggage Allowance

Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

BIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really niceBIDERCLAN is just really nice
Default Baggage Allowance

hI
Just asking how where did you guys find cheap flights to Melbourne and how did you get the 40kg baggage allowance? We have been quoted flights as cheap as £420 inc taxes but baggage allowance id only 20kg (economy) Also found an emmigration flight but is about £720 incl taxes with 40kg baggage allowance. Any advice would be helpful - other carriers have told me every kilo over weight will be charged at £30 per kilo!

Thankd Debbie
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:39 am
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of
Default Re: Baggage Allowance

Originally Posted by BIDERCLAN
hI
Just asking how where did you guys find cheap flights to Melbourne and how did you get the 40kg baggage allowance? We have been quoted flights as cheap as £420 inc taxes but baggage allowance id only 20kg (economy) Also found an emmigration flight but is about £720 incl taxes with 40kg baggage allowance. Any advice would be helpful - other carriers have told me every kilo over weight will be charged at £30 per kilo!

Thankd Debbie
I know that Singapore Airlines allow you to take 40kg per person if you are a migrant, but you will need to let them know at booking, and you will also have to produce an unstamped visa at the airport.

Book them through Austravel, as they seem to come highly recommended on this forum and will sort all the baggage allowance stuff out for you.

hope that helps!

ctg
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:00 am
Just Joined

paedar is an unknown quantity at this point

appears singapore airlines is the best airline for oz
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:05 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

We fly in june with air new zealand, 46kg each but it must be in two cases or bags. 23kg per bag plus 7kg hand luggage each. So thats a total of 53kg each but you must fly via America.

Stu
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

carly494 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just booked my one way ticket with Singapore Airlines and emailed then about getting extra baggage allowance over the usual 20kg. The reply I got was:

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.

Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.

All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded 115cm by W x D x H

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines

I then sent another email:

The visa I will be travelling on is a temporary visa which will allow to me to stay in Australia for 2 years before I it changed to a permanent visa.
My partner who will be travelling with me has been living in the UK for 2 years and is returning to live in Australia.
Will both of us qualify for the extra 20kg allowance?

To which they replied:

Thank you for your email, from the information you have given your baggage allowance is a total of 25kg per person.

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines

Im not giving up. Im going to call them when it gets nearer to flight time and try again for 40kg.

Dont want to put a downer on things for you, just wanted to share my experience. Think it all depends on the type of visa youre going on.

Cx
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi yeah Neil contacted them today and was told as long as the visa was indefinite stay 40kg would be permitted, however as we are starting our journey in Scotland they could not allow the Scotland to England part to be included in that! They said we would need to take this up with the internal airline. They said NO it was up to Singapore Airlines to ok the overall baggage allowance. Confused or what?

Donna
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BIDERCLAN
hI

Thankd Debbie
Hello Debbie, we are flying from Glasgow to Melbourne with emirates.on 14th April, for 2 adults and one child one way its a cost of £1,554.20

Our other child (teenager , don't ask, lol), is on a return ticket of ~£647.50

The luggage thing.....on our one way tickets we are allowed 40kg luggage
on the return its 20kg of luggage, the travel agent telephoned emirates in order that we get this in writing, the travel agent also had to fax a copy of all our visas through to the airline to prove we had the right visas.

We also took out insurance which added another £85.00 on

p.s from what i've read on here a stopover seems to complicate things, emirates did say we could not stopover as this would rule out our luggage allowance, but i think this is just emirates, i know someone who is booking through austravel and they are stopping over at singapore and have been told the luggage allowance will be fine, i just didn't want to take the chance!!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 1st 2007 at 5:53 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stu:0
We fly in june with air new zealand, 46kg each but it must be in two cases or bags. 23kg per bag plus 7kg hand luggage each. So thats a total of 53kg each but you must fly via America.

Stu
Stu, also from what i've read on here, going via america does entitle you to more luggage allowance

p.s get rid of that avator, i cant take a thread seriously when i see it
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Stu, get rid of that avator, i cant take a thread seriously when i see it
it's the wee wiggly bit in the middle eh Mags - jiggling his bits about in public - some folks have no shame

Ann
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:33 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Stu, also from what i've read on here, going via america does entitle you to more luggage allowance

p.s get rid of that avator, i cant take a thread seriously when i see it
mmm iv had a few comments, maybe time to look for a new one

Stu
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:46 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi yeah Neil contacted them today and was told as long as the visa was indefinite stay 40kg would be permitted, however as we are starting our journey in Scotland they could not allow the Scotland to England part to be included in that! They said we would need to take this up with the internal airline. They said NO it was up to Singapore Airlines to ok the overall baggage allowance. Confused or what?

Donna
We've booked flights from Edinbutgh to Melbourne with Singapore inc a 2.5 day stopover and they have confirmed we will get the extra allowance for all legs of the journey. Also, have contacted BMI who are our carrier from Edinburgh to London and they have confirmed that so long as it was all booked together, they will honour Singapore's luggage allowance increase.

Gill
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by herrchook
We've booked flights from Edinbutgh to Melbourne with Singapore inc a 2.5 day stopover and they have confirmed we will get the extra allowance for all legs of the journey. Also, have contacted BMI who are our carrier from Edinburgh to London and they have confirmed that so long as it was all booked together, they will honour Singapore's luggage allowance increase.

Gill
Hi Gill that's good to know. Neil contacted BA and BMI after speaking to SA, both said no. Will tell Neil to get back on to it.
Thanks Gill

Donna
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BertieB
it's the wee wiggly bit in the middle eh Mags - jiggling his bits about in public - some folks have no shame

Ann
Dunno why, makes me giggle like a 14 year old
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by herrchook

Gill
Think its down to shopping around Gill, but as you know we were restricted , bugger