Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

I have noticed that it is quite common when leaving a shop, for members of staff to ask to search the bags of customers. This happens routinely at JB Hi-fi shops, but I have also seen it at Woolworths, K-mart, and many others.

Although it seems to happen more to younger shoppers, I too have been asked on many occasions. In all cases the request has come when I have been leaving the shop without purchasing anything, but have been carrying a small rucksack on my back. Each time the staff member has been very polite, typically asking "do you mind if I do a quick bag check?".

In each case I have politely refused to allow the check, and carried on walking out of the shop. So far the shop assistant has allowed me to leave without further discussion.

I have two questions:

1. What do other forum members do when stopped? Do they allow their bags to be checked or do they refuse? I know many will adopt the usual "if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?" response, but I find it objectionable to be suspected of being a thief.

2. Does anyone know what the law states? I know that in some shops there is a sign near the door saying it is a condition of entry that all customers must allow their bags to be checked upon request, but the bigger shops have no such sign.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I have noticed that it is quite common when leaving a shop, for members of staff to ask to search the bags of customers. This happens routinely at JB Hi-fi shops, but I have also seen it at Woolworths, K-mart, and many others.

Although it seems to happen more to younger shoppers, I too have been asked on many occasions. In all cases the request has come when I have been leaving the shop without purchasing anything, but have been carrying a small rucksack on my back. Each time the staff member has been very polite, typically asking "do you mind if I do a quick bag check?".

In each case I have politely refused to allow the check, and carried on walking out of the shop. So far the shop assistant has allowed me to leave without further discussion.

I have two questions:

1. What do other forum members do when stopped? Do they allow their bags to be checked or do they refuse? I know many will adopt the usual "if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?" response, but I find it objectionable to be suspected of being a thief.

2. Does anyone know what the law states? I know that in some shops there is a sign near the door saying it is a condition of entry that all customers must allow their bags to be checked upon request, but the bigger shops have no such sign.
To check your bags you do have to give permission, and they should ask for additional permission if they need to touch anything in your bags. That would suggest that you can refuse to give permission for a bag search but I guess that may result in the shop refusing to allow you in in future.

I also think that most shops have a sign saying that they reserve the right to search bags or something similar, and if you do not want bags searched, don't take one in a shop that does this.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. And thats a big NOPE. Ive caused great scenes coming out of JBHIFI. I refuse to let someone look inside my personal propety. I don't care what they say or do.

and its appalling customer trust too. Customers are these shops best assets.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I open shopping bags and show receipt for goods on leaving stores if asked, but refuse to let them look in personal bags. If you've nicked anything the alarms will go off or the store detective will hunt you down anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I open my bag and show them before they ask!!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Do stores have the right to search your bag?

Keep walking.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:09 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I have two questions:

And I thought we were the only ones stuck with K Mart.

I agree with Beoz on the bag searching. I don't know Australian law but I would imagine there isn't any legal authority to search (without some kind of private persons arrest). Having signs doesn't immunize the store from being sued.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's the one Australianism I will never ever adopt.

I Always refuse.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

I have two questions:

I always just walk out of the shop without offering my bags for inspection, but if asked, I will show them. 9 times out of 10 I don't get stopped. However, I was in Bunnings the other day with my 6 mth old twin boys in a twin stroller and of the 8-10 years I have been going to Bunnings I have never been asked for a bag inspection until the other day when I walked out without buying anything with my 2 boys. They wanted to search the pockets within the pram, couldn't believe it.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not asked in shops where the staff know me as a regular customers. I'm occasionally asked at other shops, so I just open my handbag and point it at them. I kid you not, I could hide a tank in my handbag if I wanted to - one look at the chaos in there and they retreat

Interesting topic. I was shopping in a supermarket in KL, and there was the usual heavy security around, including at the entry and exit points. I thought I'd better offer to open my many bags from other shops for the security guy at the exit. He was horrified! No no no, we don't do that. Good!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm not asked in shops where the staff know me as a regular customers. I'm occasionally asked at other shops, so I just open my handbag and point it at them. I kid you not, I could hide a tank in my handbag if I wanted to - one look at the chaos in there and they retreat

Interesting topic. I was shopping in a supermarket in KL, and there was the usual heavy security around, including at the entry and exit points. I thought I'd better offer to open my many bags from other shops for the security guy at the exit. He was horrified! No no no, we don't do that. Good!
Australia is the only country I've ever been asked. Not surprised KL was horrified.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

1. What do other forum members do when stopped?
I usually offer my bag before being asked. On many occasions I've found this results in me being waved through without checking.

Do they allow their bags to be checked or do they refuse?
I allow my bag to be checked. I never refuse. Why would I?

I know many will adopt the usual "if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?" response, but I find it objectionable to be suspected of being a thief.
You're not being suspected of being a thief. If they suspected you of being a thief they would call security and detain you until the police arrived.

2. Does anyone know what the law states?
The law allows shops to set their own conditions of entry. They're acting entirely within their legal rights.

Incidentally, when I lived in Walsall one of the local warehouse chains used to check bags and request sight of receipt as you left the store.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

It drives me mad - I always refuse. If the security guard gets adamant I say to him he has the right to detain me and call the police, I'm hoping one day one of them does, I'd love to sue one of the big retailers :-) So far they always back off....
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Australia is the only country I've ever been asked. Not surprised KL was horrified.
I'd rather shop in Oz department stores/boutique-type shops than in KL though - in the latter, every move you make is scrutinised and you're actually followed around. Most off-putting.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:16 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I open my bag and show them before they ask!!
Have done the same, Caroline. I like you, you don't sweat the small stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.