Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Badge's old man arrives in Straya

First impressions, the beauty of our village, he can't wait to get out on all the walks and trails around the vallies he can see around here. He's itching to get out for a walk today although it will be 33... He arrived yesteday in a very cold, overcast Melbourne, but as we cleared the city he was greeted with sun and a pleasant 21-24 degrees. Perfect.

As we cleared the Domain Tunnel, a Huntsman emerged from the bonnet so he got to see a spider in the first 30mins. The lucky bastard poked it with his stick once we pulled up in the servo. (What's a "servo"?)

To my embarassment, he tells all the shop assistants that he has a 'PIN' he can now use with his debit card (I tell him that we've had it for years over here Australia backward, not always) ..which, ha! doesn't work so he is on his credit card...he was very impressed with the deck which he is going to repair for me, and almost fell over with excitement when he realised that the funny door in the corner leads to a 'laundry'.

Like most new visitors, he looked over the little fence off the back yard, and asked what the land was over it ie. who owned it. He almost fell over for the 2nd time when I explained that it was ours, in fact it's all ours for many tens of metres onwards. He went very quiet then.

My wife had a chuckle when he came back from Rays Outdoors with a big hat, matching mine, which to be fair, he needs, seeing as he is a prolific walker.

My beautiful daughter seems to get on with him.

More later

BM
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
First impressions, the beauty of our village, he can't wait to get out on all the walks and trails around the vallies he can see around here. He's itching to get out for a walk today although it will be 33... He arrived yesteday in a very cold, overcast Melbourne, but as we cleared the city he was greeted with sun and a pleasant 21-24 degrees. Perfect.

As we cleared the Domain Tunnel, a Huntsman emerged from the bonnet so he got to see a spider in the first 30mins. The lucky bastard poked it with his stick once we pulled up in the servo. (What's a "servo"?)

To my embarassment, he tells all the shop assistants that he has a 'PIN' he can now use with his debit card (I tell him that we've had it for years over here Australia backward, not always) ..which, ha! doesn't work so he is on his credit card...he was very impressed with the deck which he is going to repair for me, and almost fell over with excitement when he realised that the funny door in the corner leads to a 'laundry'.

Like most new visitors, he looked over the little fence off the back yard, and asked what the land was over it ie. who owned it. He almost fell over for the 2nd time when I explained that it was ours, in fact it's all ours for many tens of metres onwards. He went very quiet then.

My wife had a chuckle when he came back from Rays Outdoors with a big hat, matching mine, which to be fair, he needs, seeing as he is a prolific walker.

More later

BM
lol - aye - flipping pins rarely work on the UK cards in Oz. Glad he's enjoying himself. Has he asked traditional dad questions yet, like 'which way your joists run' ?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
lol - aye - flipping pins rarely work on the UK cards in Oz. Glad he's enjoying himself. Has he asked traditional dad questions yet, like 'which way your joists run' ?
It's great having ones parents visit, my father has been over 4 times now, he really enjoyed his visits as well. Alas he isn't fit enough to travel now, although he functions well enough in the UK. I can still see things in my House that my Dad fixed for me. Tip arrange in your mind before he goes home when you will see him again.

Enjoy the Visit.

That pin thing got explained to me, we have 3 different functions, so it could be that he has to Press the Cheque key here rather than savings, as the Cheque function rather than the Savings function key is the Default in Aussie. When we went to the UK, we had to arrange to change our Debit cards from Cheque to Savings to work with the UK system, Luckily our bank knew about the anomoly before we set off to europe.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

More later

BM
LOL, really made me laugh mate; great post!

I must admit, I had a right old chuckle to myself when I came over here to find Brits in the grip of "Chip-n-Pin" fever. Took me a few days to realise that this is the same system we've had back home for the last 20 years...

And...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thatsnotquiteright again.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

I must admit, I had a right old chuckle to myself when I came over here to find Brits in the grip of "Chip-n-Pin" fever. Took me a few days to realise that this is the same system we've had back home for the last 20 years...

Ah yes - but why can't you use your PIN number for credit cards like we have been doing in the UK for the past couple of years? OK so Britain has finally caught up with "Chip-n-PIN" and now it has overtaken Oz!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Originally Posted by OzSheila

Ah yes - but why can't you use your PIN number for credit cards like we have been doing in the UK for the past couple of years?
You can. I used to do it all the time.

Might be different if you're trying to use a UK card, though.

OK so Britain has finally caught up with "Chip-n-PIN" and now it has overtaken Oz!
Well, not quite.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You can. I used to do it all the time.

Well, not quite.
Well I am sorry but you can't here in Vic. Have been trying to do it since Oct last year. And my parents confirm same in NSW. You can only use a PIN on debit transactions.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Well I am sorry but you can't here in Vic. Have been trying to do it since Oct last year. And my parents confirm same in NSW. You can only use a PIN on debit transactions.
And that's an Aussie card?

Perhaps it was just my bank, then.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
And that's an Aussie card?

Perhaps it was just my bank, then.
Mine is British but my parent's is an ANZ Visa. Funnily enough I couldn't use a PIN with my ANZ Visa in the UK.

So much for global technology - biggest joke ever!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Red face Re: Badge's old man arrives in Straya

Mine is British but my parent's is an ANZ Visa. Funnily enough I couldn't use a PIN with my ANZ Visa in the UK.

So much for global technology - biggest joke ever!
Bizarre! I can use a PIN with my BankSA visa card here in the UK, but only for withdrawing cash. For transactions, I still have to sign.

You're right about global technology; different TV formats, different DVD regions, etc. More trouble than it's worth, sometimes!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It was a question of the card didn't even swipe.

Maybe we should have tried harder. Anyhow no matter, my old man bought me a new pair of sunnies!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hey Badge

Hope your Dad has a great time while he's here.

Say hi to your missus for me....I'm sorry we haven't caught up - maybe soon?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

EFTPOS is not that great, sure it's 20 years old but it works like it's 20 years old. You can't use it over the phone or on the internet so you have to use a credit card instead. UK debit card with 'chip & pin' is far superior. UK is way ahead of Australia in electronic banking. Debit cards are slowly coming in here. It's about time Australia caught up.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
EFTPOS is not that great, sure it's 20 years old but it works like it's 20 years old. You can't use it over the phone or on the internet so you have to use a credit card instead. UK debit card with 'chip & pin' is far superior. UK is way ahead of Australia in electronic banking. Debit cards are slowly coming in here. It's about time Australia caught up.

The way they dealt with this Ama' was with the following product which was in years ago, before the Bank of Melbourne was the Resi, so about 20 years ago at least....

http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/ba...isa_debit.html

However you are correct, once you press the savings button, (the pin button) fees apply, however by pressing credit, even if it comes out of ones debit card it is free, however you have to sign.

With the Bpay system one has to use a security code to use on the net, or the telephone, where you phone your bank to pay out of your "debit" card to any biller.

However this is nothing to do with Badge's dad...

So have you considered going to Wilson's prom with him Badge, that was one of his favourite places. Also somewhere you may not have considered, and slight fitness element as well, you probably havn't been there either... Pick a warm day, and drive up to the top of Mount Macedon, you can see for miles up there, there is a shrine to the old diggers, with a big cross on top of the mountain. Can also combine it with a trip to the Infamous hanging rock just up the road, plus there is one of those Magnetic hills in the vicinity, where it looks like you can "roll" up hill. Macedon is a pretty good day out.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The way they dealt with this Ama' was with the following product which was in years ago, before the Bank of Melbourne was the Resi, so about 20 years ago at least....

http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/ba...isa_debit.html

However you are correct, once you press the savings button, (the pin button) fees apply, however by pressing credit, even if it comes out of ones debit card it is free, however you have to sign.

With the Bpay system one has to use a security code to use on the net, or the telephone, where you phone your bank to pay out of your "debit" card to any biller.

However this is nothing to do with Badge's dad...

So have you considered going to Wilson's prom with him Badge, that was one of his favourite places. Also somewhere you may not have considered, and slight fitness element as well, you probably havn't been there either... Pick a warm day, and drive up to the top of Mount Macedon, you can see for miles up there, there is a shrine to the old diggers, with a big cross on top of the mountain. Can also combine it with a trip to the Infamous hanging rock just up the road, plus there is one of those Magnetic hills in the vicinity, where it looks like you can "roll" up hill. Macedon is a pretty good day out.

If you want a REALLY good day at Hanging Rock, take him on the 26th Feb for The Age Harvest Picnic. Its a fantastic day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.