Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Badgers reports LIVE from Straya!!!!

Badgers reports LIVE from Straya!!!!

Old Jan 1st 2004, 3:38 am
Badge

Default Badgers reports LIVE from Straya!!!!

We're here!!!

Have written a long message on my laptop only to discover I haven't got a floppy drive on it...so here is the truncated version..

got here the day before New Year's Eve via San Francisco..BA miserable buggers - QUANTAS not much nicer - all the staff had those leather faces associated with older Aussies..Mrs B is REALLY in to the SLIP SLAP SLOP I'm so proud of her.

Got a smile at immigration but no brass band or red carpet, not even a 'Welcome to Straya', even though I was fishing for one like mad. Some people just don't take a hint, eh.

1) Security at SF is IMMENSE. I did my Inspector Gadget routine and wore 4 jackets - Driza-a-bone stuffed with gear - got selected for special screening so had to take it all off...the bloke asked to see what was down my trousers so I dropped them and gave him the lot.. ;-)

2) Went shopping. As you lot always compare, I had a look at the fruit. it is bigger, and more colorful, and is cleaner BY A YARD, even the carrots look like they have been scrubbed by a brillo pad and polished by metal cleaner...

and what's this? A CHEESE counter???!!!!!!! With more than 2 types of cheese - well bugger me..

I was looking at new rugby league shorts (they've only got QLD and Bears, bummer), Mrs B came back with a trendy top with South Sydney on it WITHOUT me even having to help her choose!!! She's a natural and befriended the sales girl who loves the Bunnies..my mates in Aussie will love her. ;-)

3) Saw a ute on Parramatta Road for 8900 AUSSIE. Utes this spec normally 12-17K. Mouth drops open. It's 1997 - mouth drops open even more. Could this be my day? After 20 mins of buggering around:

"can we test drive it?"
"sure mate, its a free country" (ambles off somewhere)
"can we see the paper work?'
"yeah no worries" (disappears to the sales office , does not emerge) yadda yadda

it turned out to be a ploy designed to get us in the yard...later took a Falcon for a test drive and it lost power and ran out of fuel and myself and the dealer had to walk back on foot.."how to sell a car, eh?" said the dealer..

4) Xmas Eve on 22nd floor of hotel overlooking Circular Quay with friends and family..what a view

What we like:

1) Housing, wide spaces - none of this 1930s jerry built higgle-piggly excuse for architecture in pommyland

2) Beer tastes great - I love getting a quick midi or schooner without having to feel like a poof.

What we don't like:

1) its a tad humid for this time of year even in Sydney - cue mass forum argument and debate...;-)

2) Mrs B sent me to buy Shampoo AND conditioner - there were only 2 types in the small store...I'm sure I'l get over it

3) Roll on footie season!!

Copulater

Have a Happy New Year yadda yadda

BM & Mrs B2B

More to follow from your Sydney based correspondent..

Old Jan 1st 2004, 3:48 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds like you are pretty Happy in general

Welcome & Happy New Year

Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Welcome to OZ badge. Big carrots here for sure I noticed that def much bigger than those english runts Glad you like the Sydney houses, just dont ask the price tho and the admiration will go on. Seriously welcome to OZ, keep us posted
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi ya badge,

I heard the Sydney fireworks were pretty spectacular. I could swear I heard the buggers here!!

Nice to hear you got there. I presume your reputation preceded you in SF.

Cheers
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Sydney Badge.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:17 am

You will soon acclimatise to the weather. It has been a muggy few days.

Have you asked for the prices of those spacious houses?

I have a case of cold Boags and it is going down nicely in the heat.

Enjoy Sydney
Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:32 am
Carol in Oz

Welcome Down Under! Can almost feel the excitement in your posting! Enjoy and be happy!

Bondi, loved the photos of the fireworks, did you take them? I thought the bridge looked awesome.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 4:37 am

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Welcome Down Under! Can almost feel the excitement in your posting! Enjoy and be happy!

Bondi, loved the photos of the fireworks, did you take them? I thought the bridge looked awesome.
I tried taking some but without a tripod it is impossible. Those photos are from the Sydney Morning Herald.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 5:00 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Badgers reports LIVE from Straya!!!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
We're here!!!

Have a Happy New Year yadda yadda

BM & Mrs B2B

More to follow from your Sydney based correspondent..

G'Day Mr. B & Mrs B2B,

I am so glad you are now in Oz Badgers and Livin' your Dream
Old Jan 1st 2004, 5:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Badge, welcome to Straya .

Wondered when you were going to get here, see you when you get to Brissy .
Old Jan 1st 2004, 6:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome To Straya, Badgers and Mrs Badgers-to-be!!

Look forward to seeing you whenever you can get up here.
Like the story from SF - the Bloke is still sniggering!

Are you having fun, or have you had to resort to the rose-tinted specs yet? Life here is looking up all the time - had exotic cheese for breakfast (!!!) and spent the afternoon on the beach! Hooray!!!
Old Jan 1st 2004, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Nice pics BP.

We had some fireworks for the kids at Whiteman Park. Three bangs and it was all over. Missus said it reminded her of something
Old Jan 1st 2004, 8:14 am

Originally posted by Nibbs
Nice pics BP.

We had some fireworks for the kids at Whiteman Park. Three bangs and it was all over. Missus said it reminded her of something
LOL

I watched them from Page Reserve on Dover Heights. It was a good view but a long way away. Much easier than the city crowds and there was parking.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you Badge. It sounds like you are already a true Aussie- it wont be long before your accent develops again!!

I just hope the security guy in LA doesn't ask me to drop my trousers...
on second thoughts, it depends what he looks like

Keep posting with any updates.

XX and XX for Mrs Badge as well.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 9:11 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default made it

Originally posted by tinaj
Great to hear from you Badge. It sounds like you are already a true Aussie- it wont be long before your accent develops again!!

I just hope the security guy in LA doesn't ask me to drop my trousers...
on second thoughts, it depends what he looks like

Keep posting with any updates.

XX and XX for Mrs Badge as well.
congratulations badge we hope srtaya finds you well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.