Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad Times for Bundy

Bad Times for Bundy

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hello bundy and family,
just want to echo what everyone else has said and to say once again that you are an inspiration, so very brave and a wonderful person,
with loads of hugs and cuddles
rach, mark and chanelle xxxxxx
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bundster
Glad to hear that thngs were better than you were expecting.
So lovely to hear that you all went in together. In a close family , that is such a good thing. more brains to remember all the gobble-de -gook!
Your mum sounds fantastic, i love the quip about her hair!
I think you are right. though it is often hard to see what possible reason there is for awful things to happen, i am sure there often is a reason.
My mil was diagnosed with breast cancer , just after we got our visa. It put a whole new slant on things. we were very lucky, her cancer had been picked up early by routine mammogram. so after a lumpectomy and radiotherapy she should have a near normal life expectancy. it really made us stop and think about travelling so far away. but once we knew she was ok in the short and middel term, it actually made it clearer in our minds that we really did want to go.
lots of hugs to you all
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Bundy

So pleased to hear things aren't as bad as you first thought, all best to you and family and if Mum has to come to Southampton for treatment, I can only say that they are wonderful people there who looked after my family as there own

Love

Swifts xx
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Bundy

Pleased to hear your news is at least partially good Just keep loving each other and make the most of each day.

With all the lovely daffodils you must have on Jersey right now thought I'd do a tribute to the McMillan Nurses who do so much for home nursing of cancer patients.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Times for Bundy-mcmdaff.jpg  
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bundy and family,
At least you have an idea of where you are now - as has already been said, medicine advances so fast that who knows what could happen in the next few months. Am giggling at the thought of our Jillaroo Bundy becoming a hairdresser!!
Make the most of every minute, and remember how important the positive attitude is - my best friend's mum had lung cancer and was given 3 weeks - she told the doc that was a load of rot, and beat it off for over 18 months, mostly by her attitude and that of her family. The way you are all approaching this I'm sure you will be the same.
One thing that she always said was that it was better than a sudden event like a crash, where no-one had any time to prepare, and people are left saying "I wish I'd said that".

Keep smiling, and remember your cyber-pals are all here with you, thinking and praying.

Love and hugs
Pollyana & The Bloke
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

That is better news and they do make BIG STRIDES these days .dont worry dear she will be with a long time so make the most of it........
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Bundy

So glad to hear that the news was not as bad as you feared. As you said in your post, you now have time to fight the cancer.

Juicing is excellent - do you have a decent juicing book ? I recommend this one - Juicing for Health and Healing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...788009-4922027

Also, keep in the reike. I am sure it will help you mum.

Oh, and you look after yourself girl ! You've been through it this last few weeks:lecture:

Old Feb 24th 2004, 5:22 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Evening all....

Blimey, me as a hairdresser...that's had me in stitches. I don't even use as much as a hairdryer on my hair, so the rollers have been a battle. The thought of me inflicting my cack-handed tonsorial skills on a paying public is pretty funny! But maybe I should think about it. I can add it to my washing machine repair skills. And I know the biggest, butchest, scariest, 6 foot tall ex-policeman, ex-bouncer, ex-bodyguard who is also an ace hairdresser.

Been juicing like a dervish all day, all kinds of concoctions and very nice too. My mum's current favourite is apple, pear and lime. My brother made a good banana smoothie this morning then nicked off to fly home leaving me with the messy aftermath. Got a good book and some recipes from a website for cancer-busting juices.

My mum is going into the hospice tomorrow to have this magic bone pain drug intravenously. She's actually going to stay the night so that they can give her a decent bath and then give her a whole day of physio, which should help. Next reiki session booked for Friday.

Mr Bundy arrives on Thursday and is staying until Sunday night. Hurrah! Spoken to work today and they have agreed that I will come under a work-from-home arrangement on full pay for a s long as necessary. My boss doesn't get a say in this - it's all down to Personnel. So no need to worry about work and I can stay here a bit longer, at least until my mum is back on her feet (literally).

Loose, I'll PM you about jackaroo jobs. Plenty going for those with a bit of grit and determination (castrating skills a bonus).

Ailsa - you're so right about Macmillan nurses. They helped my friend's mum a good deal. Sadly, we don't have Macmillan nurses here in Jersey, but the Jersey Hospice runs in much the same way with nurses coming out to help. They are amazing.

Simone - most people would get a 6 week course of radiotherapy, but it's not necessary in my mum's case because the radiotherapy is only to relieve the pain, not battle the cancer (that's done through drugs). So she will just have 5 days of treatment, a blast each day. And that's it for now.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. My mum is convinced that all this positive energy has made a difference. And it's just made us feel better too, which is half the battle....
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by bundy
Evening all....

Blimey, me as a hairdresser...that's had me in stitches. I don't even use as much as a hairdryer on my hair, so the rollers have been a battle. The thought of me inflicting my cack-handed tonsorial skills on a paying public is pretty funny! But maybe I should think about it. I can add it to my washing machine repair skills. And I know the biggest, butchest, scariest, 6 foot tall ex-policeman, ex-bouncer, ex-bodyguard who is also an ace hairdresser.
Actually, Bundy, I was *counting* on your getting going with those hairdressing skills - there's a dire shortage of them in Oz, & I'd be *quite* happy to fly up to Nundle for a decent haircut

Been juicing like a dervish all day, all kinds of concoctions and very nice too. My mum's current favourite is apple, pear and lime. My brother made a good banana smoothie this morning then nicked off to fly home leaving me with the messy aftermath. Got a good book and some recipes from a website for cancer-busting juices.
Sounds terrif - how about a hair salon with healthy juice bar as well (I'm sure Macy's in NY used to have something similar...)?

Adding ginger to smoothies can be good too - also makes them smell lovely.

My mum is going into the hospice tomorrow to have this magic bone pain drug intravenously. She's actually going to stay the night so that they can give her a decent bath and then give her a whole day of physio, which should help. Next reiki session booked for Friday.
It sounds lovely & relaxing - I'm sure it will do her the power of good....

Mr Bundy arrives on Thursday and is staying until Sunday night. Hurrah! Spoken to work today and they have agreed that I will come under a work-from-home arrangement on full pay for a s long as necessary. My boss doesn't get a say in this - it's all down to Personnel. So no need to worry about work and I can stay here a bit longer, at least until my mum is back on her feet (literally).
Hey, great news re Mr Bundy - it must be a while since you saw each other. Isn't it your Mom's Birthday this w/e, too? I'm sure you'll have a great family get-together, whatever.

So pleased about work seeing sense - so the massed ranks of the Brit Expats Forum don't have to swing (?!hmmm, did I mean that - don't want to get WBB all excited, do we?!) into action, like International Rescue & go round & sort the Anne-Widdecome-style boss out, then

Hugs & xxxxx's to all,
Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Feb 24th 2004 at 6:04 am.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Simone - most people would get a 6 week course of radiotherapy, but it's not necessary in my mum's case because the radiotherapy is only to relieve the pain, not battle the cancer (that's done through drugs). So she will just have 5 days of treatment, a blast each day. And that's it for now.
yay for Mr Bundy and yay for personell!!
And thanks for clearing the radiotherapy up

Good luck to your mum tomorrow!

hugs and more positive thoughts coming your way!!

Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:35 am
Go Banana's !!

Evening all....

Loose, I'll PM you about jackaroo jobs. Plenty going for those with a bit of grit and determination (castrating skills a bonus).

Ailsa - you're so right about Macmillan nurses. They helped my friend's mum a good deal. Sadly, we don't have Macmillan nurses here in Jersey, but the Jersey Hospice runs in much the same way with nurses coming out to help. They are amazing.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. My mum is convinced that all this positive energy has made a difference. And it's just made us feel better too, which is half the battle....
Hi there Bundy,

Well done for keeping everyone together.
Cancer has touched us with friends and family and in a weird sort of way it seems to bring out the best in people, hope that doesn't sound too odd.

Haven't known whether to write about our experience with 'c', as I didn't know if it would be of help, but they have all been an inspiration to me so I hope what I tell you doesn't upset you.

Had a dear friend, who I spoke about when I was first on here, the doctors gave her six months and she made it to 4 years! She was amazing, she had a juicer and loads of stuff like shark bone tablets and hebal stuff. I'm convinced thats what helped, along with her unbelievable bravery.
Warren's Dad has bladder cancer, but he's been treated with a new lazer surgery and has been told that this is a liveable cancer.
Lastly but by no means least have a friend who had breast cancer and has just finished walking a portion of the 'Great Wall of China' - something she said she would never have done.

Please don't think I'm being flipant about this but I do believe, awful though it is, that somehow these people have gained from it - does that sound odd? My friend with breast cancer actually said she was glad she'd got it ! - but I thought that was taking it a bit far.

All of these people I know , never gave in and have the same positive attertude as you Bundy.

All our best wishes

Jill and Warren

Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

steve & dee is an unknown quantity at this point

Evening all....

Delighted to hear its not so bad, you all must be so relieved. Although you all still have a bit of a journey ahead you all seem close eneough & strong eneough to cope. I've been through cancer twice in my family with 2 nephews, sadly one didnt make it but it got to his lungs but thankfully my other nephew is doing brilliantly & just recently got the all clear, he's just turned 17 & is 6ft 4". I will say one thing you are been given a 2nd chance here with your mum so grab it with both hands & embrace it. I truly hope that all this is not coming across as depressing or morbid.My own mother nearly died in nov. just gone from a massive heart attack, but it was her sheer bloodymindness & willpower that pulled her through & that wasnt the 1st time the doctors didnt think she'd make it but it was the scariest. I'm just so so grateful that we have been given this 2nd chance, but I get the feeling you are feeling like that with your own mum. The last few years have been very tough on my family with all this going on but I can promise you one thing Bundy, with a loving partner , a close knit family, your sense of humour for sanity & a little prayer for strenght, you & your family will get through this. Take Care Deirdre
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:32 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jill and Warren,

You're completely right - something like this does bring out the best in people. We have met some of the kindest, most caring and genuine people ever since all this started. From doctors and nurses, to old and new friends, and the wonderful hospice team - everyone has done their very best to keep up positive and informed of everything that's happened.

It's brought us all closer to my brother's fiancee who was always a bit prickly, but who has been amazing though all this, having lost her owm mother to cancer 8 years ago. It's got me and my brothers under the same roof as each other for a whole week, something that hasn't happened in ages. I've seen my parents at their worst, but rather than being too awful, it's made us all closer. And I have sort of enjoyed living at home again in some ways.

I'm a great believer in the old adage that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I also believe that the best way to deal with a negative experience is to turn it into something positive. In a small way, it's like when I was bullied at school - it was a thoroughly awful experience, and not one I'd wish on anyone, but it has made me the person I am today so how can I be bitter about that? Although I'm not sure my mum would be able to say that she is *glad* to have cancer quite yet!

It doesn't upset me talking about cancer or death or hearing of others experiences. I'm realistic enough to know that we have been both very lucky and very unlucky with my mum and her cancer. No point in being upset and angry though - you just have to make the best of the situation, turn into something beneficial and get on with it. It could be a heck of a lot worse, that's for sure.

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi there Bundy,

Well done for keeping everyone together.
Cancer has touched us with friends and family and in a weird sort of way it seems to bring out the best in people, hope that doesn't sound too odd.

Haven't known whether to write about our experience with 'c', as I didn't know if it would be of help, but they have all been an inspiration to me so I hope what I tell you doesn't upset you.

Had a dear friend, who I spoke about when I was first on here, the doctors gave her six months and she made it to 4 years! She was amazing, she had a juicer and loads of stuff like shark bone tablets and hebal stuff. I'm convinced thats what helped, along with her unbelievable bravery.
Warren's Dad has bladder cancer, but he's been treated with a new lazer surgery and has been told that this is a liveable cancer.
Lastly but by no means least have a friend who had breast cancer and has just finished walking a portion of the 'Great Wall of China' - something she said she would never have done.

Please don't think I'm being flipant about this but I do believe, awful though it is, that somehow these people have gained from it - does that sound odd? My friend with breast cancer actually said she was glad she'd got it ! - but I thought that was taking it a bit far.

All of these people I know , never gave in and have the same positive attertude as you Bundy.

All our best wishes

Jill and Warren
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:49 am
She's a bird, you know

Well, my mum has trooped off to the hospice for 24 hours. She needs to have this special bone IV thing and could chose either to have it on the chemo ward in the hospital, or in a private room in the hospice. No-brainer really. So the ambulance took her there and we helped her set up in the most amazing room with a beautiful sea view across the gardens. It's so nice there that she will probably miss it when she comes home tomorrow! They've decided to keep her in overnight because they want to do a lot of physio work this afternoon and thought it best that she lies still afterwards rather than sticking her back in the ambulance to bump all the way back across the island. So she's having an away-day.

I now have to distract my dad who is pining for her already. Got a stack of DVDs to watch, so that should keep him quiet, and we have to go shopping for my mum's birthday on Saturday. Honestly, it's like looking after a toddler!

My Bundy arrives tomorrow, hurrah. Can't wait to see him.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:29 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Well, my mum has trooped off to the hospice for 24 hours. She needs to have this special bone IV thing and could chose either to have it on the chemo ward in the hospital, or in a private room in the hospice. No-brainer really. So the ambulance took her there and we helped her set up in the most amazing room with a beautiful sea view across the gardens. It's so nice there that she will probably miss it when she comes home tomorrow! They've decided to keep her in overnight because they want to do a lot of physio work this afternoon and thought it best that she lies still afterwards rather than sticking her back in the ambulance to bump all the way back across the island. So she's having an away-day.

I now have to distract my dad who is pining for her already. Got a stack of DVDs to watch, so that should keep him quiet, and we have to go shopping for my mum's birthday on Saturday. Honestly, it's like looking after a toddler!

My Bundy arrives tomorrow, hurrah. Can't wait to see him.
Bump & hugs in case you look at the Forum again tonight, Bundy.

Tell your Mom I am real envious of her sea view..... I hope she has a really useful time away, anyway.

I agree that Dads are worse to look after than 3 year olds. TV is deffo the best thing. Mine likes crossword puzzles, too - good therapy!

Mr Bundy arrriving tomorrrow eh? Brill! Have lots of fun - & we will all understand if you don't post any news for a few days while he's over

Anya.
xxxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.