Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad Times for Bundy

Bad Times for Bundy

Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:18 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Bad Times for Bundy

Hello All,

Well, I'm having the week from hell and, since I shall be disappearing for stretches at a time, I thought I'd fill you lot in and plea for moral support. Where do I start?

My boss made us wait until it was snowing hard on Wednesday before allowing us to go home. Driving back along country roads in a blizzard, I hit a patch of black ice and went off the road and into a tree (despite all the cold weather driving taught by my dad. Grrr). As I was going at about 2 mph at the time, the impact was slow, but I managed pretty much to wreck my car, and bump my head. Then spent 5 hours in arctic conditions on a country road waiting for the RAC man to collect the car and take me home. Long story short - despite my sleeping bag, six jumpers, hat and gloves, I ended up with mild hypothermia and slight concussion (and a dead car).

Little did I know that much worse was to come....

On Thursday morning, my dad phoned to say that it looks like my mum has cancer. Totally out of the blue. Bombshell. Gobsmacked. It's not been confirmed - that joy awaits on Tuesday - but my dad is falling to pieces and nobody is coping very well.

So I got up at 4am this morning to battle down to London to catch a flight to Jersey so that I can do my best to help my parents. My mum seems to be okay (it was a fluke they found anything - she only went for an x-ray on her dicky neck) but my dad is distraught and I'm frantically relaying messages to my brothers and other family members. Mr Bundy is stuck back in Cambridge and I'm a soul somewhat adrift.

So there we have it. And to think I was worrying about the washing machine at the beginning of the week! Makes you think...My visa is, of course, on hold and who knows for how long? Hardly seems to matter anymore.

Anyway, that's the story and that's why I'll be disappearing a bit. But I know the power of this forum to boost the morale of those in difficulties, and I thought some of you might wonder where I'd gone.

Chin up, Bundy....but it's not that easy...

Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:21 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear....what a crap week!!!!!!
I hope all is well with your mum, you must be beside yourself.

sending you lots of moral support....

sue
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
oh dear....what a crap week!!!!!!
I hope all is well with your mum, you must be beside yourself.

sending you lots of moral support....

sue
Thanks Sue - I need it. We all do. I'm desperately worried, but can't show it because I'm trying to hold everyone together at the moment, especially my dad and my younger brother who's in the middle of his Finals....
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:25 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

GOD bundy - how awful for you - we were getting worried about you yesterday and now I know we were right too.

Have they found a lump in your Mum's neck or something? What furthere tests are they doing?
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

bundy desperatly sorry of your news puts things into perspective for sall of us

good luck with all you have to deal with

arlene
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Bundster... we were beginning to get worried! Sorry to hear about your awful week and about your mum. Take care, Larissa.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Thanks Sue - I need it. We all do. I'm desperately worried, but can't show it because I'm trying to hold everyone together at the moment, especially my dad and my younger brother who's in the middle of his Finals....
Hope everything works out Bundy.

Times like this bring us down to earth with a jolt.

Look after yourself as well

Best wishes

G
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:27 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad Times for Bundy

Hi Bundy

Really sorry to hear your bad news. I hope the results are good on Tuesday. I had a simillar scare before we came out to Oz with my mum being diagnosed with MS. I remember how my life was on hold with waiting for visa news and how it went into a limbo like state when getting my mums news.

I can't offer any major advice as I think that everyone is different but I think your doing the right thing and focusing on the most important thing.

Fingers crossed for you
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:29 pm
WBB

have sent you a PM.

Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

You've certainly got several curved balls thrown at you!

Everyone is rooting for you - hope the next few weeks get better.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:30 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollster
GOD bundy - how awful for you - we were getting worried about you yesterday and now I know we were right too.

Have they found a lump in your Mum's neck or something? What furthere tests are they doing?
Thanks Pollster...

It started off with an odd-looking vertebrae in her neck which showed up on an xray ordered by the chiropractor because it looks like she has a slipped disc, followed by a blood test that showed an inflammed liver (but absolutely nothing else on the blood test) and a mammogram showing a shadow in her breast. Biopsy done yesterday, results on Tuesday. Thing is, she doesn't have a lump in the breast, just this tiny patch of density. Her chest xray was clear, her bowel tests are fine, her kidneys are just dandy. She hasn't lost weight and looks great. But the real worry is that this bone and liver abnormality could mean secondary cancer and that's not good news. She's only 56.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:35 pm
Kiwified member

Hey hey - you HAVE to slow down here.....

I know that your mind just runs on with the what ifs but you have to take each step at a time

The dense bit in her boob could be granulated tissue, it could be a cyst could be billions of things.

A slipped disc is just that and an inflamed liver could be due to anything.

You have to take is slowly and each step otherwise you will fall apart and it could be over nothing.

The doctors are prob just being careful and they have to tel you what they are investigating - don't jump to conclusions.

I know it is hard, beleive me I know, but hang on in there.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:41 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollster
Hey hey - you HAVE to slow down here.....

I know that your mind just runs on with the what ifs but you have to take each step at a time

The dense bit in her boob could be granulated tissue, it could be a cyst could be billions of things.

A slipped disc is just that and an inflamed liver could be due to anything.

You have to take is slowly and each step otherwise you will fall apart and it could be over nothing.

The doctors are prob just being careful and they have to tel you what they are investigating - don't jump to conclusions.

I know it is hard, beleive me I know, but hang on in there.
I know, I know. But my mum has spent most of her life managing doctors surgeries and consultants, so she knows what the deal is. And she has demanded straight answers, one of which is that she has three indicators, all of which point to cancer. How bad it is, and what form it takes is what we're waiting to hear.

But this is not a house of sickness and despair quite yet. Me and my mum have been lolling about all day having a giggle and indulging our own peculiar brand of morbid humour. That said, there is this sense of impending doom...but Tuesday will tell.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:43 pm
Kiwified member

Sent you a PM - thinking of you both
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:57 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

my thoughs are with you and your family. Best of luck, you deserve some!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.