Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad news for fellow RPL applicants.

Bad news for fellow RPL applicants.

Old May 16th 2002, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

colin.helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad news for fellow RPL applicants.

Our agent phoned today to say that after over 10 weeks wait ACS have rejected our application. He phoned ACS to find out why as he was certain that the approval was a foregone conclusion (our company work on a no-visa no-fee basis). I have around 4 years network/support experience and 2 years development/Java experience. ACS will NOT accept my support work as relevant work experience for RPL, and this they say is the reason I have failed. My agent informed my that this is currently an unofficial rule with the ACS, and that they are soon to announce some changes to the RPL application.

One glimmer of hope is that if I get get Associate BCS membership (more bloody forms), then it should all go through easily. But that can take up to six months to be accepted - but at least the assessment will be based on all of my IT experience rather than just my Java skills. A real blow, but still, we remain positive. As my agent said, at least we are not one of the unfortanate people who have been affected by the points increase. I'm only 30, so have plenty of time to earn enough points - however that may be achieved!

We will now put the children to bed and get down to the serious business of downing sorrows!

Best wishes to all.

Colin and Helen
Old May 16th 2002, 8:26 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad news for fellow RPL applicants.

oh I am sorry.

But chin up ...as you say, your age is on your side not like us....41 and 40

Let us know how you get on...
Old May 16th 2002, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Oh shit....I am sorry to hear about that. I take it a couple more years Java experience and you will be fine? alternatively what about trying to get your MCSE or something?
Old May 16th 2002, 9:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Colin,

I am a bit surprised at what you say, since ACS is not in the habit of changing the
rules, which are still on its website, and the RPL assessor (there is only one) would
certainly not go outside his mandate to refuse you. If your work is genuinely in IT
(look at the ASCO descriptors on the ACS site) I think you should appeal.

Email me about this if you like.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au colin.helen wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Our agent phoned today to say that after over 10 weeks wait ACS have rejected our
    >application. He phoned ACS to find out why as he was certain that the approval was a
    >foregone conclusion (our company work on a no-visa no-fee basis). I have around 4
    >years network/support experience and 2 years development/Java experience. ACS will
    >NOT accept my support work as relevant work experience for RPL, and this they say is
    >the reason I have failed. My agent informed my that this is currently an unofficial
    >rule with the ACS, and that they are soon to announce some changes to the RPL
    >application.
    >
    >One glimmer of hope is that if I get get Associate BCS membership (more bloody
    >forms), then it should all go through easily. But that can take up to six months to
    >be accepted - but at least the assessment will be based on all of my IT experience
    >rather than just my Java skills. A real blow, but still, we remain positive. As my
    >agent said, at least we are not one of the unfortanate people who have been affected
    >by the points increase. I'm only 30, so have plenty of time to earn enough points -
    >however that may be achieved!
    >
    >We will now put the children to bed and get down to the serious business of
    >downing sorrows!
    >
    >Best wishes to all.
    >
    >Colin and Helen
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 17th 2002, 10:20 am
George Lombard

Hi Colin,

I am very suspicious of the reasons you give for your refusal, as I spoke to Sarah
Paul at ACS today and she confirmed that the RPL process has not been changed since
its beginnings in about 1994.

I strongly suggest you get a second opinion.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au colin.helen wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Our agent phoned today to say that after over 10 weeks wait ACS have rejected our
    >application. He phoned ACS to find out why as he was certain that the approval was a
    >foregone conclusion (our company work on a no-visa no-fee basis). I have around 4
    >years network/support experience and 2 years development/Java experience. ACS will
    >NOT accept my support work as relevant work experience for RPL, and this they say is
    >the reason I have failed. My agent informed my that this is currently an unofficial
    >rule with the ACS, and that they are soon to announce some changes to the RPL
    >application.
    >
    >forms), then it should all go through easily. But that can take up to six months to
    >be accepted - but at least the assessment will be based on all of my IT experience
    >rather than just my Java skills. A real blow, but still, we remain positive. As my
    >agent said, at least we are not one of the unfortanate people who have been affected
    >by the points increase. I'm only 30, so have plenty of time to earn enough points -
    >
    >downing sorrows!
    >
    >Best wishes to all.
    >
    >Colin and Helen
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old May 17th 2002, 11:20 am
Jaj

Colin I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like the ACS has removed
associate membership of the BCS from the list of Group B qualifications, with effect
from February 2002.

Only full membership of the BCS or NZCS now gives any access to an ACS assessment
(Group A). Jeremy

>On 16 May 2002 19:20:12 GMT, colin.helen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >downing sorrows!
    >
    >Best wishes to all.
    >
    >Colin and Helen
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old May 17th 2002, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Jaj, you are unfornately correct!

Our next stage is to seek a second opinion. If an appeal is not feasable or fails, then I'm seriously considering giving up my full time job to upgrade my HND to a degree (1 years full time study).

No-one ever said this was going to be easy!

Best wishes to all

Colin and Helen
Old May 17th 2002, 7:21 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Colin & Helen,

Good on ye, don't give up. We first applied in 1994 and were turned down because my husband wasn't classed as working in his trade. He changed his job in 1995 and we are now on our way. We thought it would never happen but at last it is. You have plenty of years left to try again. Good Luck and keep us all posted.

Susan
Old May 17th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

Appealing sounds like the first option. I'm not sure if you have much to lose.

If you're thinking of upgrading to a degree, you could always consider part-time
rather than full time, although it would probably take a year longer. The Open
University might offer something suitable: http://www.open.ac.uk. They do offer
credits to those with other qualifications.

If you do go down the route of upgrading to a degree, you need to be clear in advance
that what you do will be acceptable to ACS (if that's your primary motivation).

As IT work looks like being harder to get in the medium term as opposed to the
recent boom, having a degree with full BCS and/or ACS membership may not be a bad
thing anyway.

Jeremy

>On 17 May 2002 20:20:12 GMT, colin.helen <[email protected]> wrote: Thanks
    >everyone for your comments.
    >
    >Jaj, you are unfornately correct!
    >
    >Our next stage is to seek a second opinion. If an appeal is not feasable or fails,
    >then I'm seriously considering giving up my full time job to upgrade my HND to a
    >degree (1 years full time study).
    >
    >No-one ever said this was going to be easy!
    >
    >Best wishes to all
    >
    >Colin and Helen
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Yvonne
    >

Old May 17th 2002, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jeremy

ACS would be my prime motivation as we do ultimately want to migrate to Oz. I'm currently finishing my HND in Computing (3 years part time) with just two exams to go. A natural progression to a degree would be a Bsc in Computing and Information Systems.

One thing that I've noticed is the requirement for three years full time further education. If I do a degree now, it will be based on 3 years part time and one year full time - do you know if this would make a difference?

As you mention, I need to be clear with ACS that this will be acceptable first - Just got to hope they don't change any more rules.

Thanks for your input.

Colin
Old May 18th 2002, 5:20 am
Jaj

Colin Another alternative might be to go for professional BCS membership directly? If
you got that you would be able to get an ACS assessment
- provided the ACS don't change the rules again in the meantime. They used to accept
full professional membership of the Singapore and HK Computer Societies, but no
longer do so.

I'm not sure where you see the requirement for full time education in this context.
Normally they use the NOOSR Country Education Profile, which, in the case of the UK,
simply states that a bachelors degree from almost any UK university - including the
Open University - is equivalent to an Australian bachelors.

A different option might be to re-apply to the ACS once you have your HND, which
could be recognised as a Group B qualification and acceptable with 4 years
experience in IT.

Jeremy

>On 17 May 2002 23:20:08 GMT, colin.helen <[email protected]> wrote: Jeremy
    >
    >ACS would be my prime motivation as we do ultimately want to migrate to Oz. I'm
    >currently finishing my HND in Computing (3 years part time) with just two exams
    >to go. A natural progression to a degree would be a Bsc in Computing and
    >Information Systems.
    >
    >One thing that I've noticed is the requirement for three years full time further
    >education. If I do a degree now, it will be based on 3 years part time and one year
    >full time - do you know if this would make a difference?
    >
    >As you mention, I need to be clear with ACS that this will be acceptable first -
    >Just got to hope they don't change any more rules.
    >
    >Thanks for your input.
    >
    >Colin
    >
    >
    >
    >--