Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad day for Sis.

Bad day for Sis.

Old Aug 5th 2006, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default Bad day for Sis.

My sister is dearly trying to get here.

Plan A was to get her degree and that was going well, then plan B came into action as her hubby in a copper and he found out that WA police were recruiting. He applied and had the interview a couple of weeks ago. Thursday he found out that he didn't get the job as they were looking for younger officers. (He is 40), then the next day my sister found out that she had failed her degree by 1%!!!

They are very down in the dumps at the moment. She has to re-sit in October.

Some luck eh?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 7:49 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad day for Sis.

What a bummer!!! Hope your sis has better luck with her retakes. If they're meant to be here, they will be....sooner or later
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avroncotton

Plan A was to get her degree and that was going well, then plan B came into action as her hubby in a copper and he found out that WA police were recruiting. He applied and had the interview a couple of weeks ago. Thursday he found out that he didn't get the job as they were looking for younger officers. (He is 40), then the next day my sister found out that she had failed her degree by 1%!!!

Some luck eh?
Anyone who puts in such effort certainly deserves to make it. Got nothing but respect for those folks who retrain or come out on highly restrictive visas to give Oz a go.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:25 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck to your sister and BIL.
I hope they eventually make it out there

Julie. x
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:32 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Some luck eh?
Maybe wrong, but I am sure there is something in law that prohibits any organisation discriminating on sex, race, religion etc and age, especially after they read his application form and granted him an interview. I think he should take a complaint to the WA Ombudsman, especially if they gave that excuse in writng.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:16 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing them all the luck in the world for the re-sits I'm sure she'll do it.

Loz x
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Maybe wrong, but I am sure there is something in law that prohibits any organisation discriminating on sex, race, religion etc and age, especially after they read his application form and granted him an interview. I think he should take a complaint to the WA Ombudsman, especially if they gave that excuse in writng.

Correct - it is usually illegal to discriminate on age anywhere in Oz. However, it may be that the forces have an exemption?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:54 pm
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Some luck eh?
Are you out in Aus? If you are could you sponser her? I ask because my Sis might want to follow me in a couple of years and I would like to know if I could sponser her...
Good luck for your Sis anyway.Tell her to keep plugging away.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
It is illegal to discriminate ....unless

1) the job would inhibit / harm the applicant if they were successful

2) the applicant was unable to carry out the role due to their age [sex / dissability etc]

Basically the police can *positively* discriminate if it is deemed appropriate. An example of this is *Black* police recruitment. Where there are not enough black people in the force it is deemed legally reasonable to lower the score in relevant areas to enable increased Black recruitment in order to balance out the deficit.

The key is the Police need to be able to justify their reasons and where discrimination is concerned, those reasons should be watertight [normally legally vetted beforehand].

Like you said TB....it seems strange to grant an interview and then decide the applicant was too old [unless age was not mentioned on the form?]

To the OP. I hope your sis passes her exam....and good luck to your BIL.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:19 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bad day for Sis.

yeah the 1% think stinks. I failed one module of my degree by 2% but am able to submit this next week a new essay so fingers crossed for your sis and me please ! Hope everything goes ok for her in october.
Best wishes
A
xx