Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bad credit history and wanting to immigrate to aus

Bad credit history and wanting to immigrate to aus

Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Carney6985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad credit history and wanting to immigrate to aus

Hi, I am after some advice. My husband and I are looking to move to Australia but have an IVA on my credit history. Would this cause a problem when applying for visa's etc?? And how would it affect us getting a mortgage or credit in Australia?

Would appreciate any advice
Old Jun 30th 2016, 5:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad credit history and wanting to immigrate to aus

Your credit history is inaccessible outside of the UK, thanks to the UK's Data Protection Act. The usual problem that people experience when the move overseas, is that their good credit history is largely inaccessible in their new home country for the same reason.

In short, you have nothing to worry about - other than establishing a new credit history.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Although, saying that....

If you leave a debt there have been many cases where UK and AUS agencies work together to recover the debt. So if you're thinking of leaving the debt in the Uk you can be chased for it.

I know there have been threads on this before so I'm just relaying a story from friends of friends who had a debt collector turn up on their doorstep in Sydney for a UK debt. Do I know if this is legally correct or not, no. Just relaying what I know for this particular case.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a signed agreement in place and are paying back on a regular basis then you have nothing to worry about with regard to a visa.

If you get a visa (a different topic/forum entirely) and get here, stay here long enough to decide to purchase a house, I'd suggest you take into account the amount you are paying back so you can afford to keep paying off your debts without getting into further debt.

However if I was paying off an IVA in the UK or a debt anywhere tbh, I wouldn't be taking out any more credit but that's just me.