Wikiposts

Backyard Birds.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:30 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Backyard Birds.

Originally Posted by Grayling
We were in New England last week.
The purple blackbirds are Grackles- saw some in Boston plus red tailed Kite.There are also Blackbirds with red patches on their wing (rose winged).

Did not see any Moose this time but have watched them feeding when we have been before. Also seen Moose in the Rockies. Did see a Coyote though and several Deer.Also lots of Turkey buzzards,American Bald eagles,ospreys and Cardinals (all red).
The trees were magnificent this year.
Lovely place in the Fall.

G
Ooooh G, New England in the Fall, now you're making me *very* homesick. Hope you waved to my family...

Anya (why isn't there a crying smilie, or would that be a contradiction in terms?)
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:30 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in New England last week.
The purple blackbirds are Grackles- saw some in Boston plus red tailed Kite.There are also Blackbirds with red patches on their wing (rose winged).

Did not see any Moose this time but have watched them feeding when we have been before. Also seen Moose in the Rockies. Did see a Coyote though and several Deer.Also lots of Turkey buzzards,American Bald eagles,ospreys and Cardinals (all red).
The trees were magnificent this year.
Lovely place in the Fall.

G
When I saw my first ever Northern Oriole in Costa Rica my mouth literally dropped open! They are just incredible!

The birder I was with had seen loads in the States where they're really common. He said, "you never forget your first Northern Oriole".
I know what he meant. Certainly one of the most beautiful birds I've ever seen, and Americans get them in their gardens!

My favourite Aussie bird is the Regent Bowerbird. Black and Gold! And it's a backyard bird on the mid east coast!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Ooooh G, New England in the Fall, now you're making me *very* homesick. Hope you waved to my family...

Anya (why isn't there a crying smilie, or would that be a contradiction in terms?)
Didn't know you lived there.

It was very nice.
I have been a few times now and to NY several times.

We also need a 'kissy' smiley I think And a 'F*** off' one

Best wishes

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:38 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

It was very nice.

Best wishes

G
And who would those be for Grayling - thinking of anyone in particular?
A couple of the best fall holidays I had - NY, MA, NH, Mass,Conn - fabulous.
Cas
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:44 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

It was very nice.

Best wishes

G
Yes, brought my son up in Concord, MA (he went back to live there a few years ago); fab place, Louisa M Alcott white wooden houses, real snow in the winter etc. Would be living there again now if US politics etc were different, but that's another story... And, of course, if Melbourne wasn't such a great place to live!

Meanwhile, Back at the Birds: Tony, that white egret thing I keep seeing hanging round our local creek is a Cattle Egret then?

Saw loads of those on a birding trip to Fiji a few years ago (all day riverboat safari, loads of birds I couldn't even name! Bliss!).

Anyone here ever been birding in Bali? Had a fab tour there, led by Victor Mason, revered local birder & author, in which we saw such exotica such as cinnamon bitterns!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Cas
I can think of a few people Cas....For both

I could live in New England I think but I'm too old now. My brother lives in Oregon so I can visit.My son also lives and works in California a lot although he has a house in Adelaide. I like the American countryside. Not so sure about some aspects of the country though

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:51 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Cas
We were staying in central Melbourne for part of the Fall: actually, it reminded me a bit of the NE Fall: dazzling, high blue skies & bright, glittery leaves. I think that if you drive up into some of the mountainous regions near here (maybe the Cathedral Ranges?), the Fall colors are supposed to be lovely, too! Also you can get to look for Lyrebirds....

Anya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Anya
Cattle Egrets have a yellow crest (unless I'm confused).
Saw an Egret on the Trent in Derbyshire not long ago.

Have Watched Birds in many countries but the most impressive was Samos in Greece during spring migration. Cyprus is also pretty good.

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:55 am
Account Closed

I can think of a few people Cas....For both

I could live in New England I think but I'm too old now. My brother lives in Oregon so I can visit.My son also lives and works in California a lot although he has a house in Adelaide. I like the American countryside. Not so sure about some aspects of the country though

G
Were you refering to another message in another thread you answered tonight ??!
Cas
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Were you refering to another message in another thread you answered tonight ??!
Cas
Ah! I think I know what you mean.

I wasn't actually but wonder if I should have been

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 10:59 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Anya
Cattle Egrets have a yellow crest (unless I'm confused).
Saw an Egret on the Trent in Derbyshire not long ago.

Have Watched Birds in many countries but the most impressive was Samos in Greece during spring migration. Cyprus is also pretty good.

G
Thanks - I will look out for the yellow next time. My best-ever sighting of egrets in the Uk was *7* of them in one go, last year - at Cleyhithe in Norfolk (great birding up there on the N Norfolk coast - we used to go to RSPB Titchwell often).

Have been recommended Greece & Eastern Med for birding. Drooled over the Black Kites while in Istanbul - more common than Blackbirds in the UK! When we get our act together, plan to get to the Seychelles - long recommended by various birding pals, & should not be too difficult to get to from Oz....

Anya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Sounds to me like you live in a fantastic location! You must have some amazing views! What part of Aus are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

It sounds like you get an awful lot of different parrot species, nice one. Can you describe the parakeets (which I'm guessing are types of lorikeets) you get? Also, the hawks. I'd be interested to know which type. They can be tricky birds even foe experienced birders to identify but I'll try....
What colour and size are they? Also, what shape, and how do they fly? Do they soar for example, or zoom along like a sparrowhawk, or hover like a kestrel? Cheers!

Hi Tony

I live in Adelaide. Currently renting a house on the cliff top at Hallett Cove. We will have to buy a house in the next couple of months and i am really NOT looking forward to leaving here. I sit on my verandah and look down on the water. Not only do i get lots of birdlife, but we have a family of seals who live at the bottom of the cliff, and a huge pod of dolphins which keep me very entertained most days.

The parakeets/lorikeets come in various sizes and colour markings.
Small sparrow sized one, mostly bright green with colours under the wings
Much bigger ones with similar markings
Another biggish one which also has red and yellow neck and breast with multicolours under the wing.
I keep meaning to find out which types they are.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:02 am
Account Closed

Ah! I think I know what you mean.

I wasn't actually but wonder if I should have been

G
There you go - learn something new every day!
Cas - heading for Melbourne Jan 05!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Thanks - I will look out for the yellow next time. My best-ever sighting of egrets in the Uk was *7* of them in one go, last year - at Cleyhithe in Norfolk (great birding up there on the N Norfolk coast - we used to go to RSPB Titchwell often).

Have been recommended Greece & Eastern Med for birding. Drooled over the Black Kites while in Istanbul - more common than Blackbirds in the UK! When we get our act together, plan to get to the Seychelles - long recommended by various birding pals, & should not be too difficult to get to from Oz....

Anya.
The place to see Black kites is in Queensland when they are cutting the Sugar cane. There are hundreds of them
Maybe after the toads?

Seychelles sounds nice.

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 11:07 am
Bitter and twisted

There you go - learn something new every day!
Cas - heading for Melbourne Jan 05!
Hope it all goes well for you then

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.