Wikiposts

Backyard Birds.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:57 pm
rudo1ph

Default Re: Backyard Birds.

Originally Posted by ezzie
Tony,

We get all the previously mentioned birds plus Fairy Wrens, Tawny Frogmouths, Boo Book Owls (yes, they go 'boo book'!), Bower Birds, Whip Birds, Koels and my favourite...a Dollar Bird which has been coming to the area behind our house for the past 7 years. It took me some time to suss out what it was as its 'dollar' is a lineal band rather than the conventional markings. We bore visiters to death as we force them to watch the rather dull browny/green bird sitting on a dead tree..then it takes off, and everyone is rewarded with that flash of irridescent turquoise...brilliant! Whip bird numbers definately down this year. Haven't seen a Frogmouth for a while in the garden, usually hear them more in summer (probably because I have the windows open at night). Love the sound they make and they look so comical, especially when you get up close and they're still pretending they're a stump!
Now you are just showing off!!! She only lives a couple of miles down the road form me!!!!!

I just looked up all those birds in my book and nope - we don't get any of them

Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

They are Satins alright so we have to be very careful. The buggers pinch anything that is blue of course. I have had to change all my clothes pegs to non-blue and we're very. very careful about not leaving any blue plastic etc around the garden so they can't be harmed by it. Nice coming across their old bowers out the back...and finding where all my pegs were going!

The call of the whipbird is of course the female checking on where the male is and then the male replying. We laugh sometimes when we know the male is there - but he just doesnt get around to answering. The female ends up going bonkers trying to get him to reply (I think the whipbird blokes do it on purpose...different species, same behaviour!).

Originally Posted by tonyk38
OK, I totaly revise my opinion of Sydney!

That's a terrific list of birds for the garden! I love frogmouths too. I managed to photograph one on the nest on Townsville Common.

Whipbirds.....that call is amazing isn't it? Seriously exotic! And as for the dollarbird, I remember that odd croaking call would often draw my attention to them when I was out and about.

The Superb Fairy Wrens are right little stunners aren't they? Also, I was wondering what type of Bowerbirds you get? Satin or Regent? If the former, put some blue plastic cutlery out for them, they love it for decorating their bowers. If the latter, you are talking about my all time favourite Australian bird, absolute stunners!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 2:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Heres a couple of our recent visitors
Attached Thumbnails Backyard Birds.-white-bird.jpg   Backyard Birds.-kooka.jpg   Backyard Birds.-2-birds.jpg  

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Oct 24th 2004 at 2:59 pm.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Right Rudolph...next time you're over here, we'll force you to stare at brown birds and drag you through the bush looking for blue things under the privet bushes. Bring your bird book! Actually the kids would probably love going out at night 'Frogmouth & possum spotting'. The twins are harrassing me about seeing your gorgeous girls again by the way.

There's a local 'twitcher' group called Cumberland Bird Observers - I went to a meeting, but it was just a bit too bird orientated for me (everyone was going on 3 week long holidays to look at birds).

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
Now you are just showing off!!! She only lives a couple of miles down the road form me!!!!!

I just looked up all those birds in my book and nope - we don't get any of them
Old Oct 24th 2004, 2:49 pm
rudo1ph

Right Rudolph...next time you're over here, we'll force you to stare at brown birds and drag you through the bush looking for blue things under the privet bushes. Bring your bird book! Actually the kids would probably love going out at night 'Frogmouth & possum spotting'. The twins are harrassing me about seeing your gorgeous girls again by the way.

There's a local 'twitcher' group called Cumberland Bird Observers - I went to a meeting, but it was just a bit too bird orientated for me (everyone was going on 3 week long holidays to look at birds).

Note to self

Do NOT put kids in blue clothes when visiting Ezzie

Littlest one was enchanted by the squirrels when we visited the UK!!! I have to find her some possums to watch, but it's not quite the same.........

Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:31 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Heres a couple of our recent visitors
Cattle Egret, Laughing Kookaburra and Masked Lapwing (Eastern race).

Not bad at all! Thanks for those.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:33 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

They are Satins alright so we have to be very careful. The buggers pinch anything that is blue of course. I have had to change all my clothes pegs to non-blue and we're very. very careful about not leaving any blue plastic etc around the garden so they can't be harmed by it. Nice coming across their old bowers out the back...and finding where all my pegs were going!

The call of the whipbird is of course the female checking on where the male is and then the male replying. We laugh sometimes when we know the male is there - but he just doesnt get around to answering. The female ends up going bonkers trying to get him to reply (I think the whipbird blokes do it on purpose...different species, same behaviour!).
LOL, Satin Bowerbirds are amazing! Beautiful too. I didn't know the whipbirds were duetting when they make that sound. I've learnt something new today. Thanks!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 8:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, Satin Bowerbirds are amazing! Beautiful too. I didn't know the whipbirds were duetting when they make that sound. I've learnt something new today. Thanks!
Found it!!

The most strange bird I saw in a hotel garden was a Pitta. Did not really look as if it should be a bird
I always carry binoculars with me.

My wife once saw a magpie at VERY close quarters once though :scared:

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Smidgemum is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread everyone! Cannot wait to get out to Sydney and have a spot myself! Even my daughter who's just turned 2 likes spotting magpies and robins..so looking forward to something a little more exotic!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smidgemum
Great thread everyone! Cannot wait to get out to Sydney and have a spot myself! Even my daughter who's just turned 2 likes spotting magpies and robins..so looking forward to something a little more exotic!
Smidgemum

Make sure you do not let your daughter too close to the magpies :scared:

Or yourself especially when they are nesting.

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I'm sure on one of the gov. websites there's advice on dealing with nesting birds (things like painting eyes on the back of your bike helmet etc.)

I read it with much amusement - but know I wouldn't be amused in the slightest to be on the receiving end (having watched various cats get mobbed).

Originally Posted by Grayling
Smidgemum

Make sure you do not let your daughter too close to the magpies :scared:

Or yourself especially when they are nesting.

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
Found it!!

The most strange bird I saw in a hotel garden was a Pitta. Did not really look as if it should be a bird
I always carry binoculars with me.

My wife once saw a magpie at VERY close quarters once though :scared:

G
Wow! I went absolutely spare looking for Pittas! They're without a doubt one of Australia's most beautiful birds. Heard them, just didn't see them!

Yeah, magpies can draw blood when they're defending nests!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Wow! I went absolutely spare looking for Pittas! They're without a doubt one of Australia's most beautiful birds. Heard them, just didn't see them!

We were walking down to a beach in Port Macquarie a few weeks ago and there was a Pitta sitting on the ground about 3 feet from us. Not at all bothered.

The ones we saw in the hotel a few years ago were also well used to humans.

Cute little bird.

G
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:35 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it true they swoop at you to attack, rather than just defend their nests (which is natural) ?
Cas
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Is it true they swoop at you to attack, rather than just defend their nests (which is natural) ?
Cas

Cas
They definitely attack you.

They seem to particularly dislike hats.
They can and will draw blood.
My wife had to run some distance before it left her alone.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.