Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to UK - keeping house in Oz? pros and cons

Back to UK - keeping house in Oz? pros and cons

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Back to UK - keeping house in Oz? pros and cons

Just wanted to know if anyone has returned back to UK but kept on house in Oz. We have just bought a house (and have a mortgage on it) but MAY return to UK next year. Is it possible to keep the house on here as an investment? If we rented it out we would still have a shortfall to make in the mortgage repayments and we are aware of the other costs such as landlords being responsible for rates, water rates and landlords insurance.
Does anyone know the feasibility of this situation? Can you then get a mortgage back in the UK aswell?
Thanks
Joanne
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Back to UK - keeping house in Oz? pros and cons

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Just wanted to know if anyone has returned back to UK but kept on house in Oz. We have just bought a house (and have a mortgage on it) but MAY return to UK next year. Is it possible to keep the house on here as an investment? If we rented it out we would still have a shortfall to make in the mortgage repayments and we are aware of the other costs such as landlords being responsible for rates, water rates and landlords insurance.
Does anyone know the feasibility of this situation? Can you then get a mortgage back in the UK aswell?
Thanks
Joanne
Hi Joanne,
It would depend on where your house is, if it's in a good area why not keep it property rarely drops, I know it can happen but in my experience from buying property in many states of Australia I have never lost on an investment [perhaps I have just been lucky ].

Sorry I cant help you with buying in the U.K. guess if you can afford it I cannot see why you would not be able to buy in the U.K. as well as OZ.

Good luck on your return.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 7:18 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Joanne
Hi Joanne
I've just read your tread, why are you thinking off coming back to the UK? Is it just for a visit or permanent? I thought you had got over your wobble!
Hope everything is Ok.
Take care Amanda, Family x
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 8:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Joanne
Don't know the answer to your question but you might be better off asking in "moving back to UK" forum. Some of them might have done it.

Hope everything is ok.