Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

No it most certainly isnt the same for everyone, I do agree that many on here have no idea how the other half live in either country.

Originally Posted by Wendy
I see the lives of my old friends from the UK every day on FB, and every time I read their status updates I thank God I'm not there!

I know it's not the same for every one, but sometimes people on here just have no idea how the other half live.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:51 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Grrr stupid public transport. For a peak day return into Zone 1 from where we are in Esher it is nearly £20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going off-peak is not always an option. I can't really compare like for like with Melbourne though as the trams although fab (and cheap!) are only serving a fraction of the commuters and travel much shorter distance.

Electronics - I reckon you're right and they are about the same. What I like about the UK is that you can buy online from places like Boots / Sainsburys/ Tesco and get reward points which can total up to quite a bit.

Dog poo - yep, there is deffo more here. And litter. I like that dogs can basically be off the lead everywhere here though. It's cool that cats aren't seen as creatures of satan either!

Another observation (not meant as a bad thing by the way, just an observation!) - there are a huge amount of Polish here, and Ukranians. Had a quote for some decoration last week - Polski Pete was half the cost of English Dave. They are like the Primark of the tradie world.

More observations - The 'buy one, get one free' offers aren't around as much as what they were. More like buy 2/get the 3rd free. The best deals are on things like handsoaps/shower gels and crisps/biscuits.

NHS - I recently had a baby and I thought it was fantastic. Couldn't fault it, including the follow-up care.

New kitchens/bathrooms - seem really expensive in Aus compared to UK.

I think a telling sign that things are tough - they now have security tags on expensive cuts of meat!!

Over and out for now x
Old Feb 25th 2012, 10:00 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

what! security tags on meat!?!? thats too much.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm impressed that you trolled the site to find that though
I'm still unsure why you would post a Daily Fail article about an incident at a tube station though, being a troll perhaps ?
I don't think you know what trolled means. When you move back to the UK will you stop posting in the Australian forums?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I don't think you know what trolled means. When you move back to the UK will you stop posting in the Australian forums?
125 posts in 'Moving Back to the UK' - are you?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No it most certainly isnt the same for everyone, I do agree that many on here have no idea how the other half live in either country.
Yeah, that's very true.

I was on a crap wage there, and am on a crap wage here... I know where I am better off though. By better off I mean, have more spare cash, have happier kids and generally have a better standard of living.

But then again, I do come from Bradford... so maybe not so much of a challange...

I will be interested in your views a bit more about 12 months AFTER you have first hand experience of the UK though. ATM, you have as much credibility for me as the 'newbies' to Aus have...
Old Feb 25th 2012, 12:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yeah, that's very true.

I was on a crap wage there, and am on a crap wage here... I know where I am better off though. By better off I mean, have more spare cash, have happier kids and generally have a better standard of living.

But then again, I do come from Bradford... so maybe not so much of a challange...

I will be interested in your views a bit more about 12 months AFTER you have first hand experience of the UK though. ATM, you have as much credibility for me as the 'newbies' to Aus have...
I have lived North and South Wendy and my life was equally crap in both places. Putting aside issues with my daughter which could happen anywhere my life is infinitely better in Australia.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
125 posts in 'Moving Back to the UK' - are you?
Never, it's a sh1t hole.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

Both countries have pros and cons but from where I am Melbourne public transport wins hands down over London transport. (and we are told it will only get worse over the Olympics so can workers stay away to allow tourists and officials to get to see sport?)
Is the London transport system very busy at Peak hours?? of course it bloody is, London is a mega city and The Tube is one of the most used public transport systems in the world.

I live in Melbourne inner suburbs, i have train and tram connections, whilst both are fine the only time i consider to use them is when going into the CBD, to travel around Melbourne on the public transport system would take an absolute age. The tube system in London is so vast and connectable and easy to use, trains often only minutes apart. Is the public transport system in London perfect? of course not but from my experience of travelling all over the world there are not many that are better. When i explain to Australian friends who have visited/lived in London that many Brits whinge constantly about the transport system in London they really cannot believe why.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Never, it's a sh1t hole.
And it looks so nice on "Coast"
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by papilon
What's "Coast'?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is the London transport system very busy at Peak hours?? of course it bloody is, London is a mega city and The Tube is one of the most used public transport systems in the world.

I live in Melbourne inner suburbs, i have train and tram connections, whilst both are fine the only time i consider to use them is when going into the CBD, to travel around Melbourne on the public transport system would take an absolute age. The tube system in London is so vast and connectable and easy to use, trains often only minutes apart. Is the public transport system in London perfect? of course not but from my experience of travelling all over the world there are not many that are better. When i explain to Australian friends who have visited/lived in London that many Brits whinge constantly about the transport system in London they really cannot believe why.
I expect when most people living in London are commenting on the transport system, they are not commenting on it relative to other transportation systems. I can understand why somebody using it at weekends or outside peak hours would think it is great, but using it at peak hours and it is pretty hellish.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

True, I love that show. Also Doc Martin, that lovely Cornish village.

But then I consider if you actually lived there the locals would hate you and call you an "emmet" and it would be cold and raining for 2/3rds of the year.

I reckon UK would be great if only a couple of million people lived there.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth

I reckon UK would be great if only a couple of million people lived there.
or if all the miserable twunts just left
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:37 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

What's "Coast'?
A great BBC series that explores the UK's coastline.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mvlc

I think it's being aired over here ATM too but if not it can be viewed on BBC's iPlayer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.