Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Originally Posted by NedKelly
One of the things I immediately noticed when I went back for a visit was the amount of dog shit all over the place. Much cleaner in Oz.
In London much if that will be human shit.

When I watch Jonathan Ross now, after 9 years in Australia, I haven't a clue who most of his British guests are.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
Public transport is eye wateringly expensive and poor (London)
Really? Because for me to be in a London bus or train is like being in a 5 star hotel compared with the public transport in Sydney...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
The OP was referring to the cost of a mortgage which is obviously going to be much cheaper due to the interest rates, nothing to do with rental costs.
Rental costs are cheaper in London than in Sydney anyway...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Really? Because for me to be in a London bus or train is like being in a 5 star hotel compared with the public transport in Sydney...
I don't get that either. I think public transport in London is fantastic!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:54 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? the Tube at rush hours is like a train from Delhi with so many people. at least in Sydney I can almost always get a seat and it rarely gets so crowded.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:58 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Rental costs are cheaper in London than in Sydney anyway...
cause there you cant get a waterfront house where you can park your boat.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Huh? the Tube at rush hours is like a train from Delhi with so many people. at least in Sydney I can almost always get a seat and it rarely gets so crowded.
OK maybe it is just my route but on 3rd Jan fares went up by 10pct.
Trip into London was an hour late (it is meant to take 23 mins), journey home was 45mins late
4/1/12 : in was 42 mins late, home was 50 mins late. Different excuse to the day before.
5/1/12 : late in by a mere 20 mins, home 30 mins

etc etc

I also take the Drain (Waterloo and City shuttle) It is always packed, frequently cancelled, huge queues to get on- every day. This is the one single reason I absolutely loathe commuting.

Apart from that London transport is fab.
My boss is OK with my constant lateness but another girl on my line has been threatened with the sack. She started getting a train 30 mins earlier and still gets in at the same time as before!

AND BREATHE.....
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
OK maybe it is just my route but on 3rd Jan fares went up by 10pct.
Trip into London was an hour late (it is meant to take 23 mins), journey home was 45mins late
4/1/12 : in was 42 mins late, home was 50 mins late. Different excuse to the day before.
5/1/12 : late in by a mere 20 mins, home 30 mins

etc etc

I also take the Drain (Waterloo and City shuttle) It is always packed, frequently cancelled, huge queues to get on- every day. This is the one single reason I absolutely loathe commuting.

Apart from that London transport is fab.
My boss is OK with my constant lateness but another girl on my line has been threatened with the sack. She started getting a train 30 mins earlier and still gets in at the same time as before!

AND BREATHE.....
...perhaps it wasn't on the lines you used to use but it sounds like the way a lot of Melbourne trainlines are portrayed. Certainly when I more regularly used the Sandringham line I could be left standing on the platform before perhaps being able to squeeze onto the 3rd train to go past...often consecutive trains were cancelled.

And of course, most Melbourne fares rose by 8-9% on Jan 1 too.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Public transport anywhere we have been in the UK is heaven compared to what people have to endure here.

Originally Posted by bcworld
I don't get that either. I think public transport in London is fantastic!
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:23 am
Daffyd Duck

Public transport anywhere we have been in the UK is heaven compared to what people have to endure here.
sarcasm?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
sarcasm?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:33 am
Daffyd Duck

The Daily Drool

Last edited by commonwealth; Feb 25th 2012 at 4:35 am.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:37 am
Daffyd Duck

i reckon public transport in london is 2x as crowded as sydney's.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:38 am
Banned

OK.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...be-tracks.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.