Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Old Mar 4th 2012, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in UK 9 months - random observations...

Originally Posted by Ballys
Kyneton to Melbourne=86.2Km
Esher to London=24.14Km

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk...n_%28uk%29.htm
I used to be both a London and current Melbourne commuter.

Both systems get busy and crowded in rush hour. Some lines are better than others in both cities.

London's system is better connected but then it does have a 'tube'. Melbourne does not have a tube. Go figure. The tram system is excellent when you consider it has to compete with cars sharing the same roads.

There is no comparison - based on proportions of income I would say that Melbourne's transport is as 'cheap as chips'. (topical...topical)..

I get a VLine train from Pakenham to Melbourne = c.60km for 11 dollars a day and that was just after the recent increase - the first big one in about 7 years. I remember paying 200 pounds a month almost 20 years ago!!!

That's one of the most expensive tickets (a strip) and at least I can choose when to travel on that - I'm not locked in. The price gets cheaper with a weekly or montly.

In the past I have come up with a ludicrous multiple when comparing London prices to Melbourne prices when comparing realistic incomes.

Travelcards have always been expensive for peak hour.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
True, I love that show. Also Doc Martin, that lovely Cornish village.

But then I consider if you actually lived there the locals would hate you and call you an "emmet" and it would be cold and raining for 2/3rds of the year.

I reckon UK would be great if only a couple of million people lived there.
That lovely Cornish village is Port Isaac on the north coast. The school in the TV series is actually the old school in PI and is now a hotel. Was lucky enough to stay there several years ago after a works Christmas do. Was great to wake up with views over the harbour. Lots of lovely villages in Cornwall, grew up there but no good jobs to be found so had to cross the border to Plymouth!!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lovely area down there, I went years ago with my wife and remember it well. They do talk funny though

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
That lovely Cornish village is Port Isaac on the north coast. The school in the TV series is actually the old school in PI and is now a hotel. Was lucky enough to stay there several years ago after a works Christmas do. Was great to wake up with views over the harbour. Lots of lovely villages in Cornwall, grew up there but no good jobs to be found so had to cross the border to Plymouth!!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:00 am
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Cornish Pasties and clotted cream....Mmmm

Now I dont mean both those foods together
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris955
It's a lovely area down there, I went years ago with my wife and remember it well. They do talk funny though
Have a look for Kernow King on youtube. Some great videos on there!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
More observations - I see that Matthew Kelly is back on the TV (new series Benidorm). Surely that's wrong. Likewise Michael Barrymore - why is that man still on the loose??
Wasn't Matthew Kelly cleared of all charges?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
More observations - I see that Matthew Kelly is back on the TV (new series Benidorm). Surely that's wrong. Likewise Michael Barrymore - why is that man still on the loose??
And so was Michael Barrymore - although he was charged for possession of cocaine at the end of last year.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
He was.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:37 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

G'day g'day. Raining and cold here today. A few more ramblings -

- Charity shops on the high street - they're seriously everywhere!! Our local high street has at least 6 and that's out of probs about 30 shops. And some of them are quite expensive, e.g £12 for a rattan linen basket with a stained liner and holes from cat claws wtf? I walked past one the other day and they even sell gift vouchers!! Talk about sign of the times....
- Just my opinion but I think things have felt a bit grimmer in the past few months, far more so than last summer anyway. The weather doesn't help obviously but that aside I think people have been pushed to their limit. Petrol, insurances, utilities, food, transport - everything has crept up and up. Politicians / media trying to keep things jolly with the Olympics / Jubilee but it doesn't work, people can see through it.

Over and out for now x
Old May 9th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
One of the things I immediately noticed when I went back for a visit was the amount of dog shit all over the place. Much cleaner in Oz.
This is the first thing I noticed on returning to London after 5 years in Oz. Some streets near where I live are like dog shit assault courses - I dont wear any of my good trainers out at night because of it. I reckon people here don't have pride in their communities anymore.

Overall I've been dissapointed coming back to the UK. There are plus points (seeing friends/family, decent clothes, better radio and tv, access to other countries more easily etc) but its pretty grim. Given that things are predicted to get tougher you just wonder what the UK will be like in a few years.

We'll prob move back to australia in a few years for a while. My last 2 years I was desperate to come back but now I'm kind of wondering why.
Old May 9th 2012, 4:47 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

G'day g'day. Raining and cold here today. A few more ramblings -

- Charity shops on the high street - they're seriously everywhere!! Our local high street has at least 6 and that's out of probs about 30 shops. And some of them are quite expensive, e.g £12 for a rattan linen basket with a stained liner and holes from cat claws wtf? I walked past one the other day and they even sell gift vouchers!! Talk about sign of the times....
- Just my opinion but I think things have felt a bit grimmer in the past few months, far more so than last summer anyway. The weather doesn't help obviously but that aside I think people have been pushed to their limit. Petrol, insurances, utilities, food, transport - everything has crept up and up. Politicians / media trying to keep things jolly with the Olympics / Jubilee but it doesn't work, people can see through it.

Over and out for now x
Sorry to hear that the things are feeling seriously grim there. It was beginning to feel increasingly that way before we left in 2010. I reckon it's going to be a long slog before things begin to feel upbeat again. What a contrast to the bright feel-good life we experience here every day. Getting my family out of there is the best thing I've ever done

Originally Posted by big_matt
This is the first thing I noticed on returning to London after 5 years in Oz. Some streets near where I live are like dog shit assault courses - I dont wear any of my good trainers out at night because of it. I reckon people here don't have pride in their communities anymore.

Overall I've been dissapointed coming back to the UK. There are plus points (seeing friends/family, decent clothes, better radio and tv, access to other countries more easily etc) but its pretty grim. Given that things are predicted to get tougher you just wonder what the UK will be like in a few years.

We'll prob move back to australia in a few years for a while. My last 2 years I was desperate to come back but now I'm kind of wondering why.
Thats an enduring memory I have of life in 70s Britain, but not so much in the 90s and 00s. A shame it's back
Old May 9th 2012, 5:14 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

RainhamKent to Victoria london circa £30 per day return peak (5:35-10ish) around £300 per month it takes 55 mins-ish each way. For a high rate tax payer which you'd pretty much have to be to make the commute worth while that's roughly £500 out of your gross monthly income. That's train only, no tube or busses included. I defy anybody to claim that's cheap or even reasonable...
Old May 9th 2012, 6:21 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There must seriously be a HUGE divide between the SW and some of the areas others are talking about. We dont see rubbish on the streets and so far dog shit on the footpaths is incredibly rare, I see no more than I did in Brisbane.
There is no sign of people being pushed to the limit, it really is like some are referring to an alternate universe to be honest.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
There must seriously be a HUGE divide between the SW and some of the areas others are talking about. We dont see rubbish on the streets and so far dog shit on the footpaths is incredibly rare, I see no more than I did in Brisbane.
There is no sign of people being pushed to the limit, it really is like some are referring to an alternate universe to be honest.
you must be living in a parallel universe. There have been articles in the paper about the litter problem and it did not say 'This is just confined to London'. I have read this several times over the last few days.

I guess Clinton Cards going into administration did not happen in your bubble area either?

You say I am negative about UK...you only see the rosy stuff. I have been back 2 years and agree with most of the other posters above...its not good and getting worse.
(And the constant rain is depressing)
Old May 9th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
RainhamKent to Victoria london circa £30 per day return peak (5:35-10ish) around £300 per month it takes 55 mins-ish each way. For a high rate tax payer which you'd pretty much have to be to make the commute worth while that's roughly £500 out of your gross monthly income. That's train only, no tube or busses included. I defy anybody to claim that's cheap or even reasonable...
Transport costs in the UK are high and bad value however I've started walking to work so it doesn't bother me any more except for getting up at 5:00 in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.