Back in the UK

Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK

Originally posted by wombat42
What do you mean they are stuck here and can't afford to go back. The cost of a one way ticket to the Uk is $1000 or 500 pounds. Even someone on the dole can afford this.
If they really wanted to go home they would.
The real reason they say they can't afford to go back is that they won't be able to afford the same lifestyle or high standard of living they have in Australia and would have to live in a smaller house. How dreadful it must be for them to be stuck in Australia when there are large numbers of people in the UK who really want to immigrate to Australia but can't get enough points.
If these whinging Poms don't want to pay for their airfares home then maybe we should deport them and let in the people who really want to be here.
Oh wise one, you seemed to have missed a few things out

How about including:

i) cost of moving all belongings back to UK
ii) living costs while looking for a job

As for housing - the fact is, excluding major Oz cities, housing is cheaper than the UK equivalent. So, when people arrive in Oz, they celebrate this good fortune. But, it also means they are creating their own trap - not being able to afford to move back to an equivalent standard house in the UK.

I would love to know the number of people who really want to leave Oz, but can't afford to.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Well despite leaving almost 2 months ago my name keeps cropping up so

I'll do a post

Re: Why some people cant move back.

Everyone understands the benefit of moving to OZ at 2.5 to 1

Now try it in the opposite direction. Voila

Thats it, like me short and sweet

Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean they are stuck here and can't afford to go back. The cost of a one way ticket to the Uk is $1000 or 500 pounds. Even someone on the dole can afford this.
The real reason they say they can't afford to go back is that they won't be able to afford the same lifestyle or high standard of living they have in Australia and would have to live in a smaller house. How dreadful it must be for them to be stuck in Australia when there are large numbers of people in the UK who really want to immigrate to Australia but can't get enough points.
If these whinging Poms don't want to pay for their airfares home then maybe we should deport them and let in the people who really want to be here.
Wombat,
Ever felt like you put your foot in it ?
If not you know the feeling now.
Can't argue with this one eh ?

Very valid points that we should all think about seriously.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:31 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

There are many threads on this site that comments like yours can almost be accepted because the vast majority of people involved in that thread are also in there for a row about nothing in particular.

However this was a thread started by someone who wanted to let the friends she had made on this site know that she had made it back to the UK safe and sound. I have no idea of her reason to come back to the UK and it is none of my business. She mearly made a point about some people who have moved to Oz had for there own (again nothing to do with anyone else) reasons for decided that Oz wasn't for them and because the Uk is a more expensive place to live/ cost of moving again etc etc this is not possible. this would also be the case for many people who have moved from the south of England to up north and from the east coast of OZ to the west. goin back is not always an affordable option

Why you felt the need to assume you know the reasons for them not "being able to afford it" and call them Whinging poms is beyond me.

Good luck to anyone who is moving wherever that may be it is your choice and no-one should tell you otherwise.

Kala
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:31 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

You really take a simpletons view don't you.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:12 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Wombats are not renown for eloquence but they do dig well.

Clivey of England managed a dash from the Fatal Shore:

Back in England!!!!

Perhaps he had conviction?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:16 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MikeStanton

I would love to know the number of people who really want to leave Oz, but can't afford to.
So would a lot of Australians. Maybe we can all run a chook raffle for them.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hope it all works out for you Jane. Post some piccies of your house hunting bargains!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hubby was just asking about you yesterday! And here you are, back safe and sound.

Hope everything works out wonderfully.

Good luck
Diane and gang
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Well despite leaving almost 2 months ago my name keeps cropping up so

I'll do a post

Re: Why some people cant move back.

Everyone understands the benefit of moving to OZ at 2.5 to 1

Now try it in the opposite direction. Voila

Thats it, like me short and sweet

And how are things with you ???...are you house hunting in the South or North or in between......... Been away so hope your not having to repeat all your news.....
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Wombat is mostly right here. If you really want to go back you will - end of story. Most people say theyre not moving to Oz/Nz for the money so money shouldnt be the big factor when moving back if its really that important to you. Also Im sure its easier to move back because you have the family support there and the advantage of knowing the culture etc. So what if the exchange dosnt work in your favour - You got the big $ when you arrived in Oz.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:44 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by kala
There are many threads on this site that comments like yours can almost be accepted because the vast majority of people involved in that thread are also in there for a row about nothing in particular.

However this was a thread started by someone who wanted to let the friends she had made on this site know that she had made it back to the UK safe and sound. I have no idea of her reason to come back to the UK and it is none of my business. She mearly made a point about some people who have moved to Oz had for there own (again nothing to do with anyone else) reasons for decided that Oz wasn't for them and because the Uk is a more expensive place to live/ cost of moving again etc etc this is not possible. this would also be the case for many people who have moved from the south of England to up north and from the east coast of OZ to the west. goin back is not always an affordable option

Why you felt the need to assume you know the reasons for them not "being able to afford it" and call them Whinging poms is beyond me.

Good luck to anyone who is moving wherever that may be it is your choice and no-one should tell you otherwise.

Kala

I never normally get involved in these sorts of posts (the arguements, not the welcome homes!) but exactly that

From a Whinging Pom

Last edited by mlbonner; Jun 14th 2004 at 6:47 am.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by glhall
I think Wombat is mostly right here. If you really want to go back you will - end of story. Most people say theyre not moving to Oz/Nz for the money so money shouldnt be the big factor when moving back if its really that important to you. Also Im sure its easier to move back because you have the family support there and the advantage of knowing the culture etc. So what if the exchange dosnt work in your favour - You got the big $ when you arrived in Oz.
You are right that most people say they are not moving to Aus for the money and as a consequence I suspect this means a lot just "get by" financially.

Now if their planned new life doesn't work out for whatever reason they are in a bit of a catch 22 situation because they don't have the dosh to move back.

"so money shouldn't be the big factor" ?

........it is if you don't have any.
........it is if you have a little and the exchange rate devalues it.

.........and who got the big $ when they arrived in Aus ? Some yes but I have seen plenty on this forum going with little. A little goes a long way but it goes.

In summary I think you and Wombat missed the point.