Wikiposts

Back in the UK

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:03 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Back in the UK

Well I'am back!!!

Lots to do like getting a car, waiting for our container and looking for jobs... oh and getting a house. All a bit like being in Oz really!!!

Things feel a bit strange after only two days back, everything here seems smaller and more overgrown (have the council mowers gone on stike?) but it feels like home and I'am really excited about settling in and being part of my old self again. Excited about looking for a house (no matter what size!!!) and looking forward to getting a car.

Meeting up with a few of my friends tomorrow which I'am really looking forward to and it's great having family to lend support while we try and start our lives all over again.

It doesn't feel strange to be in the UK but it feels like we've been gone for years. When I was leaving OZ I had some really sad emails from people who were in OZ and said they couldn't afford to come back here and felt stuck. this is one of the reasons we felt we had to leave when we did. I can imagine for some it's very difficult especially after many years. I don't regret coming back at all, and I didn't have that awful sick, 'oh what have we done' feeling that I had when we landed in Perth!!!

Good luck, all you soon to be Aussies.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you are back safe and sound Janeyray. Best of luck to you with your life back in the Uk.

footie chick
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:55 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad your back where you're happiest Janeyray.....good luck and keep us posted,
Michaela
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Rock on Janeyray
It's your life that matters here

All the best for your return. Hope it all works out for you.

Nottingham is good enough for me.(don't live there any more though ).

I hope if I ever decide to return (if I eventually get there) that I will also be positve about it.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK

Welcome "home" JR.

Lots of house bargains going on this site if you fancy living somewhere different in the UK
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:49 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
Welcome "home" JR.

Lots of house bargains going on this site if you fancy living somewhere different in the UK

I would be interested to know what house bargains are available and where.......or is there about to be a major tumble in UK house prices?????
Old Jun 12th 2004, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Good to see you back!! Really hope things go well for you & you manage to find a house that's not too small.

You got me thinking about Adelaide now!! Perth is the same as ever. Still like it this way but wonder if we'll ever get bored of it. Son is itching to go exploring, wants to go to the theme parks on the East coast or Bali (for cheap DVDs!!). Will be a while before we can go anywhere so will be making the most of Perth & it's surrounds this summer.

You'll love the site at the moment lots of rose tinted glasses about!

Anyway, enjoy settling back into UK life. How's your daughter doing? Where else did you go en route home, c'mon tell us all about it!!

All the best

Loopy
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, at last,

I have been on tenderhooks wondering where you are and what you are doing.

Pleased that you are back safe and sound, and you are happy to be back.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Whisky
Old Jun 12th 2004, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

auxwuff is an unknown quantity at this point

How long were you in Perth for J.R??
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:33 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

cdandi

I think the comment was just because there are plenty of people desparate to sell their houses; the people that are moving to Oz.

So no house price crash imminent. Although that depends who you listen to obviously
Me I'd say they'll keep on climbing albeit maybe at a slower rate.

Marko
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:43 pm
wombat42

Originally posted by janeyray
Well I'am back!!!

Lots to do like getting a car, waiting for our container and looking for jobs... oh and getting a house. All a bit like being in Oz really!!!

Things feel a bit strange after only two days back, everything here seems smaller and more overgrown (have the council mowers gone on stike?) but it feels like home and I'am really excited about settling in and being part of my old self again. Excited about looking for a house (no matter what size!!!) and looking forward to getting a car.

Meeting up with a few of my friends tomorrow which I'am really looking forward to and it's great having family to lend support while we try and start our lives all over again.

It doesn't feel strange to be in the UK but it feels like we've been gone for years. When I was leaving OZ I had some really sad emails from people who were in OZ and said they couldn't afford to come back here and felt stuck. this is one of the reasons we felt we had to leave when we did. I can imagine for some it's very difficult especially after many years. I don't regret coming back at all, and I didn't have that awful sick, 'oh what have we done' feeling that I had when we landed in Perth!!!

Good luck, all you soon to be Aussies.

What do you mean they are stuck here and can't afford to go back. The cost of a one way ticket to the Uk is $1000 or 500 pounds. Even someone on the dole can afford this.
If they really wanted to go home they would.
The real reason they say they can't afford to go back is that they won't be able to afford the same lifestyle or high standard of living they have in Australia and would have to live in a smaller house. How dreadful it must be for them to be stuck in Australia when there are large numbers of people in the UK who really want to immigrate to Australia but can't get enough points.
If these whinging Poms don't want to pay for their airfares home then maybe we should deport them and let in the people who really want to be here.

Last edited by wombat42; Jun 12th 2004 at 5:47 pm.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by phyonics
cdandi

I think the comment was just because there are plenty of people desparate to sell their houses; the people that are moving to Oz.

So no house price crash imminent. Although that depends who you listen to obviously
Me I'd say they'll keep on climbing albeit maybe at a slower rate.

Marko
It was indeed Marko

A tongue in cheek comment about our fellow posters desperate to make the move but being delayed by their house sale.

Many have been suffering from buyers who pull out of the deal at the very last moment.

Emmigration plans that have been arranged in good faith are consequently left in a bit of chaos.

I really feel for them.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
What do you mean they are stuck here and can't afford to go back. The cost of a one way ticket to the Uk is $1000 or 500 pounds. Even someone on the dole can afford this.
If they really wanted to go home they would.
The real reason they say they can't afford to go back is that they won't be able to afford the same lifestyle or high standard of living they have in Australia and would have to live in a smaller house. How dreadful it must be for them to be stuck in Australia when there are large numbers of people in the UK who really want to immigrate to Australia but can't get enough points.
If these whinging Poms don't want to pay for their airfares home then maybe we should deport them and let in the people who really want to be here.
she didn't say they were stuck because they couldn't afford a plane ticket...you came to that conclusion all by yourself!!

Aside from the costs of re-settling in the UK, the move itslef is expensive if you have a family and posessions to ship back. I think it cost us about 5000 GBP to move back, and that doesn't include the start up costs again in the UK....the fact that you may be unemployed for a period of time, that you may need to buy a car, that you may need to pay rent, that you may need to pay a rental deposit. It all adds up. It's no different to moving to Australia. You don't just buy a plane ticket with your last 500 quid and fly off to Australia but with no money for when you get there.

And I would imagine many of the 'whinging poms' who want to move back to the UK were once the excited Poms who 'really wanted to be in Australia' in the first place.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Good luck Janeray.

Glad to hear that you arrived home ok.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:04 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you Janeyray, glad the trip was great!

Welcome 'home'!(Ok, I'm not in the UK, but at least we're in Europe and the northern hemisphere! )

Good luck with car, house, job!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.