Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back Problems -skilled independent

Back Problems -skilled independent

Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:58 am
Just Joined

millymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to all
Default Back Problems -skilled independent

Hello All,

We've finally had our meds after nearly two years of jumping through hoops. (I fell pregnant and couldn't have the chest x-ray.)

I had a microdiscectomy last year for a prolapsed disc. I had two months off work post operatively and then two weeks of reduced hours, after which I returned to work full time and have not had a day off sick. Since then I've been great, I fell pregnant in July '05 and now we have a beautiful baby boy.

But now i'm really stressed 'cos I had to send all the surgeons notes and I'm worried that this will count against me. My back problem hasn't affected my ability to work since surgery, that's why i had it done! Is there anyone out there experienced a similar situation? What was the outcome? would be grateful for some feedback . It's taken ages to get to this stage and if we get refused on medical grounds I'll be gutted.

cheers

Milly
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back Problems -skilled independent

Originally Posted by millymcb
Hello All,

We've finally had our meds after nearly two years of jumping through hoops. (I fell pregnant and couldn't have the chest x-ray.)

I had a microdiscectomy last year for a prolapsed disc. I had two months off work post operatively and then two weeks of reduced hours, after which I returned to work full time and have not had a day off sick. Since then I've been great, I fell pregnant in July '05 and now we have a beautiful baby boy.

But now i'm really stressed 'cos I had to send all the surgeons notes and I'm worried that this will count against me. My back problem hasn't affected my ability to work since surgery, that's why i had it done! Is there anyone out there experienced a similar situation? What was the outcome? would be grateful for some feedback . It's taken ages to get to this stage and if we get refused on medical grounds I'll be gutted.

cheers

Milly

Hi

I had a discectomy a few years ago. I've been through two lots of medicals for Oz, firstly when we went there on a temp visa a few years back and then a medical last year for a permanent visa. It was no problem at all and wasn't an issue for either Dr as, like you, I've worked full time as a nurse since the surgery and don't have much of a problem with my back now.
I'm sure you'll be fine.
Cheers
Kitty
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:22 am
Just Joined

millymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to allmillymcb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kitty4
Hi

I had a discectomy a few years ago. I've been through two lots of medicals for Oz, firstly when we went there on a temp visa a few years back and then a medical last year for a permanent visa. It was no problem at all and wasn't an issue for either Dr as, like you, I've worked full time as a nurse since the surgery and don't have much of a problem with my back now.
I'm sure you'll be fine.
Cheers
Kitty

Thanks Kitty -

When I spoke to the panel doctors receptionist she said the doctor needed to write a comment on my form. Do you think this means he will tick box b instead of box A? Will this reduce my chances of getting a visa do you know?

Sorry to sound frantic - I've spent what seems like an eternity pulling together our visa application because the migration agents wanted far too much money. We seem so close to getting a visa - I just dont want our hopes to be dashed at the last minute.

Milly
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Sorry I can't really help but just wanted to wish you luck for the medicals. I'm sure it will be fine.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kitty -

When I spoke to the panel doctors receptionist she said the doctor needed to write a comment on my form. Do you think this means he will tick box b instead of box A? Will this reduce my chances of getting a visa do you know?

Sorry to sound frantic - I've spent what seems like an eternity pulling together our visa application because the migration agents wanted far too much money. We seem so close to getting a visa - I just dont want our hopes to be dashed at the last minute.

Milly

Hi Milly

I ticked the box on the medical form that, yes, I had had back pain, I then put in the details bit that I had had the discectomy, the year it was done and that I have had no problems since and am fully functional.
My GP gave me letters from the neurologist who did the surgery and followed me up, which basically said all was great, but both times I did medicals, neither panel Dr asked for them, although I had them in my bag incase. They just checked my reflexes etc.
I wasn't put in category B.
I didn't make any issue of it at the medical, just waited for the Drs to ask me about it, which they didn't. I saw them read my explanation and at the end tickk all the ok boxes and was told all was fine.
Try not to stress too much, although I do undertand you can't help it until you have got it out of the way.
K sent.
Kitty
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:35 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Hello All,

cheers

Milly
Hi Milly

Don't worry. I had the same surgery as you due to years of lifting heavy objects in confined spaces.

I know you have had your meds, I expect like yourself I recorded that I have fully recovered from blah blah blah.

It wasn't questioned further.

Rich
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Hi

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Cheers
Kitty
Dont worry, I know somebody who has just got PR, he is 55, and had a triple by pass a few years ago.
He is on the demand list, and was already here, but still got it. So you will be ok.
Denise
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Hello All,

cheers

Milly

Hi Milly,

I am panicking , anxious in fact. I had a discectomy 3 months ago. I am still of work as i work in a call centre and sit continually at a desk, so iam am still getting doctors lines to cover me. When i went to see the surgeon he said that the operation was a complete success as it removed the sciatic/squashed nerves in my leg. I still have back pain though and still getting pysio, i went to see him last week and he said iam as stiff as hell. Iam frantic that this will effect my meds, we have them on saturday. Should i just make out that everything is hunky dorey, as i could be working just now but due to stress level right now, have been putting it off. What do they ask and will they definately ask for copies of surgeons report.

thanks
sarah-jayne in despair.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

My hubby has a chronic back condition (Ankolosing Spondylitis for those in the know) and is on meds for life. He went through the medicals without any hitches (it was all stated on the forms). I think they just want to be sure that you won't be a drain on the health service, or come here and immediately claim money for incapacity reasons. I'm sure you'll all be fine. Discectomy's are generally considered to be a cure for a condition and the prognosis (although sometimes lengthy) is usually good. I'm sure this is how the medical panel would view them too. Best of luck.
Tracey
Old Jul 5th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=millymcb]

One of our party at meds got a 'B' - the GP explained that He had strict guidelines but they do put relevant comments to go with it !

As you say - you are fine now and recovered.

Worry Not !!

Angela
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Hi Milly,

I am panicking , anxious in fact. I had a discectomy 3 months ago. I am still of work as i work in a call centre and sit continually at a desk, so iam am still getting doctors lines to cover me. When i went to see the surgeon he said that the operation was a complete success as it removed the sciatic/squashed nerves in my leg. I still have back pain though and still getting pysio, i went to see him last week and he said iam as stiff as hell. Iam frantic that this will effect my meds, we have them on saturday. Should i just make out that everything is hunky dorey, as i could be working just now but due to stress level right now, have been putting it off. What do they ask and will they definately ask for copies of surgeons report.

thanks
sarah-jayne in despair.

Hi Sarah Jayne,

I told the panel doctor all about it. You will need to be honest, if you lie it could be visa fraud and ultimately if they find out you can be deported. However I would stress that you are much better and that the surgery was a success, thats the best you can do.

I'd take all your notes with you as this will save time and should include your consultants comments. I didn't and my GP really took there time copying the notes for me. (They also charged me £30 for the privilege!) As for your recovery, I found going back to work for shorter days really helpful, it meant I didn't have to go straight to sitting down for 8 hours, which would have been murder. It also gave me the confidence that I needed before resuming my usual 50+ hours a week.

Good Luck with everything - it will get easier.

Cheers

Milly
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sarah Jayne,

I told the panel doctor all about it. You will need to be honest, if you lie it could be visa fraud and ultimately if they find out you can be deported. However I would stress that you are much better and that the surgery was a success, thats the best you can do.

I'd take all your notes with you as this will save time and should include your consultants comments. I didn't and my GP really took there time copying the notes for me. (They also charged me £30 for the privilege!) As for your recovery, I found going back to work for shorter days really helpful, it meant I didn't have to go straight to sitting down for 8 hours, which would have been murder. It also gave me the confidence that I needed before resuming my usual 50+ hours a week.

Good Luck with everything - it will get easier.

Cheers

Milly

Thanks milly, for getting back, and thanks for advice. I called the consultant today and he cant get report out in time for saturday for my med, but said he will do one if they request, which will add a little time i suppose. I will be honest , and smile best i can and keep my fingers crossed. My work will bring me back on a phased return , shorter hours so thats something. I hope my GP does not cause a problem, (a bit scatty etc) needing to retire now i reckon. Out of curiosity do they make you bend down to touch your toes at the medical ? if they do i am snookered because of lumber pain in back. I'll let you know how i get on on saturday.

thanks again
sarah-jayne
Old Jul 6th 2006, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Thanks milly, for getting back, and thanks for advice. I called the consultant today and he cant get report out in time for saturday for my med, but said he will do one if they request, which will add a little time i suppose. I will be honest , and smile best i can and keep my fingers crossed. My work will bring me back on a phased return , shorter hours so thats something. I hope my GP does not cause a problem, (a bit scatty etc) needing to retire now i reckon. Out of curiosity do they make you bend down to touch your toes at the medical ? if they do i am snookered because of lumber pain in back. I'll let you know how i get on on saturday.

thanks again
sarah-jayne

No toe touching required!

good Luck

Milly
Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

No toe touching required!

good Luck

Milly

excellent. thank goodness
Old Jul 6th 2006, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Hello All,

cheers

Milly
we got ours on fri 28th july my worry is my son who has A.D.D his only problem is his concentration at school and is a bit clumsy. he takes meds but only during school time. any body know if this is a problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.