Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back form Oz! Here's my thoughts...

Back form Oz! Here's my thoughts...

Old Jul 25th 2003, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back form Oz! Here's my thoughts...

Finally back from holiday in Oz! Had a fantastic time out there and wished that could have stayed longer.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the following: -

Brisbane.

Great city – very laid back with very friendly people. Good transport system – punctual and clean. It has a cosmopolitan feel about it imo.

Houses – don’t expect the properties to be like there are over here, seems like most of the properties are just a mish-mash of styles with the most common type of property appears to be the Queenslander style house (it’s a property that’s built on stilts) which we really didn’t really care for. The only area we liked was Carindale which is approx 10km from the city. It’s a fairly new estate (approx 15 years old I believe), which is mainly houses and near a golf course.

Adeladie

Nice city, again has that laid back feel about it although I felt that Adelaide in general felt 10 years behind for some reason.

Houses – most of the properties appear to be low-sets (bungalows) with some suburb areas mostly having houses rather than lowsets. We drove pretty much all over looking to get a feel for areas/houses etc. Below are some of the suburbs visited and thoughts. Although not definitive by any means to may help you to get some ideas for places.

Visited most suburbs/areas in Adelaide.

Northern suburbs: - There’s a new hosing estate been built approx 8km North in Northgate (in the Northfields area) where you can visit all the display homes that various companies have to offer. Nice houses, good sizes although when asked was told that the estate would be approx. 2,500 homes once completed. We enquired about a property (visit http://www.avjennings.com.au/south_a...anor_330_popup to see) and total cost for build inc plot (bear in mind that Av Jennings builds don’t include a/c, lights, security system, flooring etc – will cost you approx, $20,000 or so for fittings etc) was about $300,000.

West suburbs visited: - West Lakes and Lockelys. West Lakes is lovely although all the really nice houses are next to the river with the surrounding streets mostly been low sets. Lockleys is also mostly low sets, although the area appears to be very quiet and if memory serves there’s also a school there.

Southern suburbs visited: - Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel Valley, Gulfstream Heights (think that’s what it was called!). You can certainly tell you’re away from the CBD as these suburbs and these places have more of a rural feel to them and you can feel like you’re very isolated as well. Most properties appear to become low-sets as you got into Coromandel Valley coming form Flagstaff Hill.

North East suburbs visited: - Golden Grove, Spring Hill. Properties here are mostly 2 storey houses. Lovely views to the CBD. Close to a few shopping centres so shopping wouldn’t be a problem. Housing estate seems fairly recent in build (but could be wrong) and a majority of the properties are really nice houses. Estate isn’t that huge in terms of number of houses so it would be a great place to live if you don’t mind the drive into the CBD.

Hope this helps in some ways for those of you going to either of the above.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:48 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Back form Oz! Here's my thoughts...

Originally posted by keaton
Finally back from holiday in Oz! Had a fantastic time out there and wished that could have stayed longer.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the following: -

Brisbane.

Great city – very laid back with very friendly people. Good transport system – punctual and clean. It has a cosmopolitan feel about it imo.

Houses – don’t expect the properties to be like there are over here, seems like most of the properties are just a mish-mash of styles with the most common type of property appears to be the Queenslander style house (it’s a property that’s built on stilts) which we really didn’t really care for. The only area we liked was Carindale which is approx 10km from the city. It’s a fairly new estate (approx 15 years old I believe), which is mainly houses and near a golf course.

Adeladie

Nice city, again has that laid back feel about it although I felt that Adelaide in general felt 10 years behind for some reason.

Houses – most of the properties appear to be low-sets (bungalows) with some suburb areas mostly having houses rather than lowsets. We drove pretty much all over looking to get a feel for areas/houses etc. Below are some of the suburbs visited and thoughts. Although not definitive by any means to may help you to get some ideas for places.

Visited most suburbs/areas in Adelaide.

Northern suburbs: - There’s a new hosing estate been built approx 8km North in Northgate (in the Northfields area) where you can visit all the display homes that various companies have to offer. Nice houses, good sizes although when asked was told that the estate would be approx. 2,500 homes once completed. We enquired about a property (visit http://www.avjennings.com.au/south_a...anor_330_popup to see) and total cost for build inc plot (bear in mind that Av Jennings builds don’t include a/c, lights, security system, flooring etc – will cost you approx, $20,000 or so for fittings etc) was about $300,000.

West suburbs visited: - West Lakes and Lockelys. West Lakes is lovely although all the really nice houses are next to the river with the surrounding streets mostly been low sets. Lockleys is also mostly low sets, although the area appears to be very quiet and if memory serves there’s also a school there.

Southern suburbs visited: - Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel Valley, Gulfstream Heights (think that’s what it was called!). You can certainly tell you’re away from the CBD as these suburbs and these places have more of a rural feel to them and you can feel like you’re very isolated as well. Most properties appear to become low-sets as you got into Coromandel Valley coming form Flagstaff Hill.

North East suburbs visited: - Golden Grove, Spring Hill. Properties here are mostly 2 storey houses. Lovely views to the CBD. Close to a few shopping centres so shopping wouldn’t be a problem. Housing estate seems fairly recent in build (but could be wrong) and a majority of the properties are really nice houses. Estate isn’t that huge in terms of number of houses so it would be a great place to live if you don’t mind the drive into the CBD.

Hope this helps in some ways for those of you going to either of the above.
Bloody gorgeous house, thanks alot for the info.