Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to Back Droughts Possible

Back to Back Droughts Possible

Old May 8th 2004, 6:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to Back Droughts Possible

Farmers fear the return of El Nino

FARMERS across the country are praying for May rain amid fears the dreaded El Nino weather pattern is about to return.

More than 60 per cent of productive agricultural land has been declared under "exceptional circumstances" - government code for drought.

If adequate rain does not fall in the coming months, Australia could face devastating back-to-back droughts.

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello acknowledged the seriousness of a double-dip drought this week when he issued a pre-budget warning in relation to rural Australia and the current account deficit.

"The country is still dry, tinder-dry in the southeast," Mr Costello said. "We have the serious possibility of the return to drought and we have just emerged from the worst drought ever recorded in Australia."
Old May 8th 2004, 7:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Back to Back Droughts Possible

It's been pouring down almost all day long here !!

Haven't had the sun either, and it even got a bit cold !! (relatively speaking that is )

Old May 8th 2004, 9:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 8th 2004, 10:44 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to say it but I was told that temps is OZ are due to rise even more so over the next 3 years and that Perth will be the hardest hit with water problems...

from an Aussie ok...!!!!
Old May 8th 2004, 10:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pants
Sad to say it but I was told that temps is OZ are due to rise even more so over the next 3 years and that Perth will be the hardest hit with water problems...

from an Aussie ok...!!!!

We've had well below average in Perth so far this year. We'll get some today though, the forecast is terrible for Mothers Day (today)
Old May 8th 2004, 10:54 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
We've had well below average in Perth so far this year. We'll get some today though, the forecast is terrible for Mothers Day (today)
I hope you do..my FIL was telling me about the 7year drought over here and what an effect it had on everyone and everything..very sad state of affairs indeed.!!
Old May 9th 2004, 2:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is like a rain dance. I cannot remember the last time I saw rain but today we have light showers. Not drought breaking stuff.