Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Babysitters in Oz

Babysitters in Oz

Old May 10th 2005, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Babysitters in Oz

I was just reading another thread on here where people were talking about the difficulty in the Adults developing their social lives when first arriving in Oz because they dont have the same network of Family/Friends here that they had at home for babysitters.

Now I know this isnt the same as Family/Friends, but thought if anyone were interested a good source of Babysitters can be found through a University. I currently work as an Employment Officer for the Student Association at La Trobe Uni here in Bendigo (also has a campus in Melbourne) and we regularly supply babysitters for locals. Uni's can also be another good resource for Tutors which might help with the adjusting from the UK to Oz.

Its especially good if the Uni runs either Education or Nursing courses.

Most Uni's will have their own website which you should find a link to Student Employment.

I hope this might help.

Hels
Old May 10th 2005, 12:38 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Babysitters in Oz

Hi Hels, thats a great idea, I know how hard it is to have a life & how important it is to get a break from the kids occasionally. Babysitters make life so much more bearable!

BTW, don't you ever respond to your PMs, I responded to one of yours weeks back & Im still waiting for all the goss .
Old May 10th 2005, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi Hels, thats a great idea, I know how hard it is to have a life & how important it is to get a break from the kids occasionally. Babysitters make life so much more bearable!

BTW, don't you ever respond to your PMs, I responded to one of yours weeks back & Im still waiting for all the goss .

Responded!!!!
Old May 10th 2005, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
Its especially good if the Uni runs either Education or Nursing courses.

Most Uni's will have their own website which you should find a link to Student Employment.

I hope this might help.

Hels
That's a great idea (one that I had myself!)

Neither my husband or I have any family here. Not a single distant cousin or aged uncle that could be used for baby-sitting purposes. I never wanted to ask friends too often to help. This was mainly because I wasn't too keen on reciprocating - I loved looking after my own kids, but other people's usually left me cold.

So I did just what you suggested. Advertised for a regular baby-sitter on the notice board of a local college campus (which just happened to run Early-childhood education courses). I found the most wonderful girl from country NSW to help me - she would come every Friday morning, look after the kids while I did the weekly shopping child-free (bliss) plus whenever we wanted to go out in the evening. She came each week for about 3 years, until she qualified as a kindergarten teacher. I'm still in touch with her, 16 years later. She's now got four children of her own.

The advantage of doing this, is your kids get to know them really well - instead of having a different sitter each time, which can happen with agency people. Students often have spare time during the day so they can help if you just want to go out for lunch/coffee/shopping.
Old May 10th 2005, 2:16 am

gedge has disabled reputation

You could also try asking at your local nursery (child day care centre).
You'll usually find well qualified people being paid a pittance, who are only too happy to make a few extra dollars from babysitting. Jules being one of them