Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby sitting Rates?

Wikiposts

Baby sitting Rates?

Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:05 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Baby sitting Rates?

http://www.worksite.actu.asn.au/show...dff7846882ee80

Daytime rates

$40 first three hours
$10 for every hour after first three hours

Evening rates

$33 - $40 first three hours
$10 for every hour after that up to midnight
$12 for every hour after midnight

Also, FYI...

The minimum wage payable in Australia is $467.40 per week or $12.30 per hour.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your information on babysitting rates.

Mrs Bear
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Thank you all for your information on babysitting rates.

Mrs Bear
I pay $15 p/hr - can't remember what the rates are for before and after school club. can't be that much otherwise I'd have moaned on here! I'll check with hubby.......wait for the moan.......
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:41 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

The only babsitting we have paid for (last month) was for a company through the hotel we were staying at in Melbourne. I would take their rates as a max to pay out:

The company is Time Out Services. The rates they charge are as follows:

Day rate (1am – 7pm) - $18 p/hour

Night rate (7pm – 1am) - $14 p/hour

$20 booking fee

$10 parking fee

Minimum 3 hours

Last edited by walaj; Jul 17th 2006 at 12:04 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

My OH used to babysit. She is a trained and registered child care centre teacher.
The children she babysat for were from the child care centre where she worked. I'll point out that the area is wealthy and the parents are not short of a bob or two.
The going rate last year was $15 an hour, minimum 3 hours. The rate is now about $17/18ph. Sometime if there were more than 3 kids, i.e. multiple parents putting their kids together for the evening the rate may be doubled or more.
No petrol money was charged.
She doesn't do it anymore as we have our own baby to sit with.
HTH.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gedge
My OH used to babysit. She is a trained and registered child care centre teacher.
The children she babysat for were from the child care centre where she worked. I'll point out that the area is wealthy and the parents are not short of a bob or two.
The going rate last year was $15 an hour, minimum 3 hours. The rate is now about $17/18ph. Sometime if there were more than 3 kids, i.e. multiple parents putting their kids together for the evening the rate may be doubled or more.
She doesn't do it anymore as we have our own baby to sit with.
HTH.

I reckon a good baby sitter is worth his or her weight in gold, so pay them a fair wage , which you would expect for yourself, I think at least $15 per hour and have some goodies in the fridge for them, and if they stay over night I reckon give them a REAL good bonus

Sheila
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:11 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcountrygirl
have some goodies in the fridge for them
Sheila
We specially buy treats for them to make them feel welcome

But we have heard others don't even allow them to make cups of tea or coffee - how horrid some people can be

Originally Posted by gedge
We just offered to make it "more her worthwhile".
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

We specially buy treats for them to make them feel welcome

But we have heard others don't even allow them to make cups of tea or coffee - how horrid some people can be

We just offered to make it "more her worthwhile".

I used to baby sit as a mature teenager (14-18) and i got paid £5 for an evening and £10 if i stayed the night,( as i got older). i used to do the dishes (not asked) sort out the kids clothes for the next day. One of my charges was a baby under 6months. i used to make tea/coffee but never had anything to eat. i was made to feel old when i passed that baby recently with his girl friend

On the rare occasion i have had a babysitter for my 3 monsters i paid £30-£40 for the evening and made sure there was enough food in should they want anything to eat.

For what it's worth, no matter how committed to our children we are having a night out with your loved one, is something i think is vital in keeping a marriage ticking over. We all need adult time even if it is only for birthdays/anniversarys.
i try not to feel guilty having a nice time away from the kids, i would go even more insane than what i already am if i could not .
Mandy
Old Jul 18th 2006, 12:23 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
For what it's worth, no matter how committed to our children we are having a night out with your loved one, is something i think is vital in keeping a marriage ticking over. We all need adult time even if it is only for birthdays/anniversarys.
i try not to feel guilty having a nice time away from the kids, i would go even more insane than what i already am if i could not .
Mandy
Well said. I think its paramount to a healthy relationship. Afterall, one day, the kids will fly the coop.........and you wouldn't want to find yourself living with a stranger at that point.

My cousin here in Australia had some wise words when we arrived and didn't know a soul and she was offering to babysit. She said, go out on a regular basis - you may go out and not speak, go out and argue, go out and talk about the kids all night. None of this matters. Just spending time alone together away from home is what keeps your relationship alive, especially with all the added stress of moving to a new country.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by webgum
Well said. I think its paramount to a healthy relationship. Afterall, one day, the kids will fly the coop.........and you wouldn't want to find yourself living with a stranger at that point.

My cousin here in Australia had some wise words when we arrived and didn't know a soul and she was offering to babysit. She said, go out on a regular basis - you may go out and not speak, go out and argue, go out and talk about the kids all night. None of this matters. Just spending time alone together away from home is what keeps your relationship alive, especially with all the added stress of moving to a new country.
Big question is where do you find the babysitter in the first place? Someone that you can trust, when you come over to a new country and know noone? We go out now when we have visitors over, it's one of our conditions of coming over But it sure would be nice to go out more often, and I find myself unable to ask someone who doesn't offer first.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 2:46 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Corderys
Big question is where do you find the babysitter in the first place? Someone that you can trust, when you come over to a new country and know noone? We go out now when we have visitors over, it's one of our conditions of coming over But it sure would be nice to go out more often, and I find myself unable to ask someone who doesn't offer first.
Very true. Are your kids of school age? As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we have reciprocated with my son's friends parents. It is really really hard, and I felt unbelieveably lucky to have my cousin nearby. But, even she was a complete stranger at first, at I had only met her twice in my life!!

I probably found it harder when we moved to a new town in the UK, where we knew absolutely noone and family were a couple of hundred miles away (we might have well been Australia already for the amount of support they could offer.....)
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Corderys
Both my kids were born here (though they're almost grown-up now) and we have no relatives within 20,000k.

We didn't go out THAT much but when we did either we mostly used friends in a similar situation (and reciprocated by babysitting their kids) or various pre-school teachers/helpers.

A really good source of trusty babysitters is usually your local pre-school/child-care centre/kindy. In our case the staff were all young, already known to the kids and were always on the lookout for some extra cash. Even if your kids don't go to child care, ask at your local centre if they can recommend someone. At least you know that the people they recommend actually like kids.

We had an early-childhood teacher's training college near us and I posted a ad on their notice-board for a student to help me with the boys once a week, during the week so I could just go and do the weekly shopping child-fee. We got an wonderful girl, worth her weight in gold and who, 18 years later, is still a good friend.

You could try asking at your local TAFE or Uni - or anywhere that trains child-care staff or teachers. I would much rather employ someone who had half a chance of coping in an emergency, rather than the average 15-year-old.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

We have currently a lovely scottish girl who babysits for us.

She asked for $10 per hour (plus we give her $5 petrol money) but have heard that another friend of ours pays between $20 to $25 per hour.

What should we do? Don't want to underpay the girl but on the other hand she was happy with the $10?

What rates are others paying? (Melbourne)
We pay our sitters about $10 per hour, depending on how long they sit and if we get back after midnight. If it's 3 hours we give them $25. If it's 4 hours we give $35. Anything more and we give $10 an hour. Plus Foxtel, food and drink !

The sitters are usually daughters of friends and are 16 years old. We gave one girls 50 bucks last week for sitting from 7.30pm to 12.15am. Her parents said we paid her too much.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I'm more worried about them coming back preaching, they're devoted Christians and teetotalers
We have some similar friends - although the husband drinks when he's with OH. OH babysat for them and he had to repeat their prayers with them - I'd love to have seen him kneeling down saying 'I love Jesus'. Still they have been very kind.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nickyc
Both my kids were born here (though they're almost grown-up now) and we have no relatives within 20,000k.

We didn't go out THAT much but when we did either we mostly used friends in a similar situation (and reciprocated by babysitting their kids) or various pre-school teachers/helpers.

A really good source of trusty babysitters is usually your local pre-school/child-care centre/kindy. In our case the staff were all young, already known to the kids and were always on the lookout for some extra cash. Even if your kids don't go to child care, ask at your local centre if they can recommend someone. At least you know that the people they recommend actually like kids.

We had an early-childhood teacher's training college near us and I posted a ad on their notice-board for a student to help me with the boys once a week, during the week so I could just go and do the weekly shopping child-fee. We got an wonderful girl, worth her weight in gold and who, 18 years later, is still a good friend.

You could try asking at your local TAFE or Uni - or anywhere that trains child-care staff or teachers. I would much rather employ someone who had half a chance of coping in an emergency, rather than the average 15-year-old.
We've managed to go out without our little man(3 years old)4 times in the last nearly two years but it'd be nice to be able to think about going to see the movie you want to see at the cinema, I think pirates of the caribean may be my inspiration to find someone.
Thanks for all the tips, I might see about checking at our local childcare or college then. I live quite a way from where my son goes to childcare(it's between home and work) so thought maybe the girls from there would find it a bit far to come out to where i live, but a notice on the local college/uni board would be a little closer or checking the local childcare centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.