Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby sitting Rates?

Wikiposts

Baby sitting Rates?

Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baby sitting Rates?

We have currently a lovely scottish girl who babysits for us.

She asked for $10 per hour (plus we give her $5 petrol money) but have heard that another friend of ours pays between $20 to $25 per hour.

What should we do? Don't want to underpay the girl but on the other hand she was happy with the $10?

What rates are others paying? (Melbourne)
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby sitting Rates?

Originally Posted by thebears

She asked for $10 per hour (plus we give her $5 petrol money) but have heard that another friend of ours pays between $20 to $25 per hour.

What should we do? Don't want to underpay the girl but on the other hand she was happy with the $10?

We have a lovely Aussie girl. (I'm trying to keep within the 'lovely' sentiment on this board - you know, 'that house is lovely', ;'lovely' weather, 'lovely' dolphins', had a 'lovely' meal - never hear anyone say that in real life though - more like 'great' etc )

She gets $5 an hour (!) which her parents suggest but they are good friends and she just comes around and watches a video or a DVD so its hardly work and often we're literally around the corner.

I gave her 25 rather than 20 for her latest stint as I felt a bit guilty. She was thrilled and took it no worries.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:27 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

By girl I mean 25 and also a qualified nursery worker.

$5 sounds like you are a tight wad.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

By girl I mean 25 and also a qualified nursery worker.

$5 sounds like you are a tight wad.
She's 14 and a friend of the family. The rate was suggested by her parents and I tipped at the end. She'd probably do it free, in fact we babysat her and her 3 siblings free for hours on end; her parents hate counting hours and money and make a point of not making a fuss.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:11 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
She's 14 and a friend of the family. The rate was suggested by her parents and I tipped at the end. She'd probably do it free, in fact we babysat her and her 3 siblings free for hours on end; her parents hate counting hours and money and make a point of not making a fuss.
Perhaps there are some others out there who use mature baby sitters? No problem with $5 for 14 year old but we just have had some bad experiences with "younger" baby sitters and prefer some maturity.

All I want is to make sure I'm not ripping our current baby sitter off. We thought $10 was okay but now this new info makes me feel we are
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Babysitter
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All I want is to make sure I'm not ripping our current baby sitter off. We thought $10 was okay but now this new info makes me feel we are
Well.... she is happy isn't she - I don't know - maybe she can study at the same time and prefers it to working in a restaurant parttime.

I don't know what barstaff and waitresses get but its 'not much' either! We'll see what rates others come up with.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fraser
Babysitter
You up for babysitting seeing you didn't get that job then?
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:24 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
You up for babysitting seeing you didn't get that job then?
well up for it, just trying to remember what one is
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

well up for it, just trying to remember what one is
It's where you meet your girlfriend for adolesent fumblings
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:29 pm

It's where you meet your girlfriend for adolesent fumblings
We haven't had one in 11 months of being here, but someone has agreed to have them overnight in a couple of weeks, so we'll make the most of it as I don't expect them to be brave/silly enough to offer again :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps there are some others out there who use mature baby sitters? No problem with $5 for 14 year old but we just have had some bad experiences with "younger" baby sitters and prefer some maturity.

Most qualified sitter in the world
Attached Thumbnails Baby sitting Rates?-images.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

We haven't had one in 11 months of being here, but someone has agreed to have them overnight in a couple of weeks, so we'll make the most of it as I don't expect them to be brave/silly enough to offer again :scared:
I see You'd better post what you're paying for the service to give these ladies an indication of the going rates.
Don't over do it, we always seemed to come home in the early hours to find the kids still playing and the sitter asleep.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice

Hi

If its any use we pay our sitter $10 a hour , thats what she asks for, we often give her more, but she quoted $10 from the out set.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:59 pm

I see You'd better post what you're paying for the service to give these ladies an indication of the going rates.
Don't over do it, we always seemed to come home in the early hours to find the kids still playing and the sitter asleep.

It's a freebie and they're staying overnight at their house

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.