Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby and Oz question

Baby and Oz question

Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:40 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby and Oz question

Ive just been told that I will not be able to bring baby formula...be it powder or ready made up cartons into Australia when we come out in a few weeks?
Is this correct? If so please can you tell me if you can get Farleys Milk powder in Oz (its the one in the yellow tin...the first stage milk!) Bit concerned so thanks for any advice..... Im so looking forward to flying half way found the world with a 4 month old! I can hardly wait!

Lucy
x
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby and Oz question

Lucy

I have no idea but just to say good luck with the trip. I would think a four month old would be very little trouble, as long as he/she (sorry don't know) has something to suck taking off and landing should be a happy bunny.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Ive just been told that I will not be able to bring baby formula...be it powder or ready made up cartons into Australia when we come out in a few weeks?
Is this correct? If so please can you tell me if you can get Farleys Milk powder in Oz (its the one in the yellow tin...the first stage milk!) Bit concerned so thanks for any advice..... Im so looking forward to flying half way found the world with a 4 month old! I can hardly wait!

Lucy
x
Lucy, can't help personally (and never will be able to <snip>) but do a search on the forum. I've seen it discussed.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:50 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Lucy, can't help personally (and never will be able to <snip>) but do a search on the forum. I've seen it discussed.

Thanks, I have done a search but still a bit of a grey area on the following...I realise a sealed powder carton should be ok, but will by ready made up and sealed tetra-pak type cartons be allowed in as I need them for my inbound flights!

STRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucy
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:51 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Lucy
x

we went to Perth earlier this year with babe and as long as you declare the powdered milk and the cartons are sealed you should be OK we had no trouble (BUT YOU MUST DECLARE IT)

The made up ones, probably best to bin these in the sin bins at whichever Australian airport you arrive at.

And finally Connor was 6 months old when we went and was as good as gold.

Worth ringing your GP who may suggest phenargen, for the flight.

Good Luck

PJ

Last edited by Jacko1; Sep 11th 2004 at 7:58 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 8:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Worth ringing your GP who may suggest phenargen, for the flight.

Good Luck

PJ
Phenergen may work but it didn't for mine - hit the ceiling and didn't come down for ages - my worst nightmare came true. Even now - 8 ish years on I can still remember the panic of what to do with this hysterical chemically mad child :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 11th 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Phenergen may work but it didn't for mine - hit the ceiling and didn't come down for ages - my worst nightmare came true. Even now - 8 ish years on I can still remember the panic of what to do with this hysterical chemically mad child :scared: :scared:
Can agree with this, I used Phenergen flying to the UK from NZ by myself 7 months pregnant with a 4 and 6 year old. whilst they did not react quite so severley as above, they did wake up very grumpy. My doctor said it is like waking up with a hangover. I did not use it on the way back at 8 months pregnant and they were fine. I would advise trying it in a controlled enviroment before you fly, there is nothing worth than a wired kid on a long flight, everyone hates you and you can't get off!!
4 months old should be a dream, just make sure baby is sucking on something for take off and especially descent.
I would try to check with airline, aussie customs re baby milk. For NZ they will take even sealed tins of baby milk from you.
Good Luck
KAZ
Old Sep 11th 2004, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Lucy
x
Australia does not strip babys of their milk on arrival Declare the baby milk/food when you arrive, bring the tins you need to get through the trip too, Baby milk is highly processed its not a dangerous import. Suppose you brought bananas tho, totally different story.

What they are looking for is stuff like fruit because of disease, meat products because of virus, wood because of insects, herbs same reason, etc etc its stuff thats going to bring infection in. Declare all food you have and you wont have any problems.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 6:12 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Lucy
x
Lucy,

we flew out with aour 3 1/2 month old baby and she was fine. Slept after eating and had her dummy or fed when taking off / landing.
I think it depends more on whether your baby is quiety or noisy by nature.

I would also recommend getting a basinet fromn the airline, make sure you request it when booking the ticket and then agin when checking in.

We flew with Quantas and can't recommend them. (they splt us up even though I was there to help my wife and then sent the pram direct to destination, being incapable of understanding that baby';s get heavy when you have a 6 hours between flights )

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Lucy
x
Lucy

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/publi...3E5D87CAB8AF20

Check out the link above. It says that you will be definitely be OK with baby formula as long as you take a baby to go with it .

We've done it with no problems - just make sure you declare it at Customs.