Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby - dual citizenship

Baby - dual citizenship

Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Default Baby - dual citizenship

Hi
Louise and I are here on a 4 year business visa but are now applying for permanent residency on a subclass 136 visa. Louise is also 16 weeks pregnant and we were wondering whehter, if the visa were to come through in time, we could apply for dual citizenship for the baby. Does anyone have any experience of this? How does it work? Do we have to have PR status when the baby is born or is it when we register the baby? Any help/advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Matt
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby - dual citizenship

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Hi
Louise and I are here on a 4 year business visa but are now applying for permanent residency on a subclass 136 visa. Louise is also 16 weeks pregnant and we were wondering whehter, if the visa were to come through in time, we could apply for dual citizenship for the baby. Does anyone have any experience of this? How does it work? Do we have to have PR status when the baby is born or is it when we register the baby? Any help/advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Matt
At least one of the parents needs to be PR before the baby is born.

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Cool. Thanks - that's what we thought. Better get the application in this week then. The baby's due in mid May so fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
At least one of the parents needs to be PR before the baby is born.

Mrs JTL
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
Matt

Congratulations

Your baby would be an Australian citizen if you have PR when he/she is born but you would probably need x-rays as part of the 136 application, so your wife being pregnant could hold up the application anyway.

Therefore you'd more than likely have to add the baby to your PR application once he/she is born then he/she would be granted citizenship when you get it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Wendy
That's really helpful to know. As you say, maybe we're better waiting to apply once this baby is born and then just putting the baby on the application.
Hmmmm....

Originally Posted by Wendy
Congratulations

Your baby would be an Australian citizen if you have PR when he/she is born but you would probably need x-rays as part of the 136 application, so your wife being pregnant could hold up the application anyway.

Therefore you'd more than likely have to add the baby to your PR application once he/she is born then he/she would be granted citizenship when you get it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy
That's really helpful to know. As you say, maybe we're better waiting to apply once this baby is born and then just putting the baby on the application.
Hmmmm....

You can put in an application now, and if the CO needs meds before the baby is born they will just put everything on hold until the baby has been born. It would save you a bit of time that way.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:35 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can put in an application now, and if the CO needs meds before the baby is born they will just put everything on hold until the baby has been born. It would save you a bit of time that way.
This is exactly what we did. We applied for PR and then found out about pregnancy....filled in a 1022 change of circumstances form which alerted the CO to the need to delay medicals....baby born...another 1022...medicals and then three lovely visas for our larger family!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Nice - thanks.
I think I'd been thinking that it would be nice for the baby to have instant dual citizenship but then if we go along that road to citizenship then the baby will obviously come with us. So, I don't suppose it makes much odds really. I'll get the application in and put it on hold if need be. We did have medicals and X-rays in the UK before we left (approx Oct 2005) but I suppose we'd need fresh ones for a 136..(?)
Thanks again
Matt

Originally Posted by busterboy
This is exactly what we did. We applied for PR and then found out about pregnancy....filled in a 1022 change of circumstances form which alerted the CO to the need to delay medicals....baby born...another 1022...medicals and then three lovely visas for our larger family!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nice - thanks.
I think I'd been thinking that it would be nice for the baby to have instant dual citizenship but then if we go along that road to citizenship then the baby will obviously come with us. So, I don't suppose it makes much odds really. I'll get the application in and put it on hold if need be. We did have medicals and X-rays in the UK before we left (approx Oct 2005) but I suppose we'd need fresh ones for a 136..(?)
Thanks again
Matt

They only last a year, so you'd need to do them again anyway
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

That's what I thought - thanks.

They only last a year, so you'd need to do them again anyway
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought - thanks.
Like your blog...you all look very nice (dang, sound like a weird stalker again)!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

No worries

Originally Posted by busterboy
Like your blog...you all look very nice (dang, sound like a weird stalker again)!